Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
What do you guys think are the chances of the Olympus E-M5 III dropping in price when the OM-5 is released later in the year? I'm looking for a new camera after the sensor on my last one fritzed, but I'm not sure if I should get the E-M5 III now, or wait...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

nielsm posted:

So, coming from Nikon D system:

- Are the controls on OM-D good?

The dials are fine, and I quite like the experience of shooting with mine. The menus are a whole 'nother ball game, though. Olympus has a reputation for near-impenetrable menu trees, with a lot of settings being in unintuitive places, although the main ones you'd use in a day of shooting are easily accessible through the Super Control Panel, which is only a single button press away.

It's also worth noting that while the e-m10mk3 is better than the mk2 in most respects, it actually has less customizability - you can't save multiple setups(MySets) to be switched between with the press of a button anymore, and there are only two mappable function buttons on the mk3, whereas the mk2 had 6, due to Olympus now aiming this model at the more beginner end of the range. I've set up mine for back-button focus with the second function button for focus zooming, and that works fine for me.

This article goes into a bit more depth on the difference between the two.

nielsm posted:

- How is the experience if I want to adapt my old glass?
I have a mix of AF-G, AF-D and AI lenses, and both some FX and DX format ones. How many features can be supported when adapting?

In my admittedly minimum experience using adapted glass, the mk2 may actually be better than the mk3. The higher number of function buttons allows much more flexibility in terms of mapping focus peaking and focus zoom to separate buttons while still being able to use back button focus. Focus peaking works automatically when you turn the focus ring in manual focus mode with Olympus m4/3 lenses, but manual lenses will have to have it bound to a button to activate it.

If I wanted to primarily use adapted lenses, especially manual ones, I'd either go for the e-m10mk2 or look for an e-m5 model in whatever price range you can afford. If I'd had the money at the time, I would have gone for an e-m5mk3 over the e-m10mk3, for sure.

nielsm posted:

- Any alternatives to consider?

I've only really used Olympus cameras, so with that said, I'd probably recommend the flexibility, weather sealing and quality of an e-m5 over an e-m10.

nielsm posted:

- What will I miss out on by getting a 5-7 year old model as the E-M10 mark 3 is?

You'd have to look at an online comparison tool for individual specs, but later model cameras (especially the OM-5, for instance :allears:) have higher resolution (typically 20mp rather than 16mp), better stabilisation, less noise, more customisation and things like LiveND mode, handheld hi-res shot mode and weather sealing.

That said, even with my current e-m10mk3, I'm the weak point in the chain, not the camera...

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

mudskipp posted:

Hello everyone, I was looking at an om5 as my omd -em10ii* seems abit old, but I can't actually tell what the major improvements would be. The om5 has more shots per second and a larger sensor, but am I right in thinking even over that sortof model iteration/time the improvements are all going to be fairly minor for a casual photographer?

When I was younger the improvements in digital cameras were pretty major but in terms of image quality on the sensor is it fairly settled now?

*Also the names are awful

The names are indeed awful.

Apart from the 4 extra megapixels, I think the major improvements will be weather sealing on the OM5 and much a better processing engine that should give you less noise on the image, and a pixel-shift Hi-Res mode which will give you an 80mp image from a tripod or 50mp handheld. With the OM5, you'll also get 4k video instead of HD, a higher max mechanical shutter speed, a 4-stop electronic ND filter, Bluetooth, focus stacking, and I would think maybe another stop on the IBIS, but don't quote me on that. Up to you how important any of those last points are for what you shoot, though...

I have an em10.3, and I'd love to upgrade if I could afford it...