Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
gxAce pulled out all the stops in his vid. To do the X100VI justice he apparently added another concentric shell of 1990s studio equipment to augment his cyber transmission. Also put on the tribal headgear with wires in every direction.

I like my V just fine, not in a hurry to upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

rolleyes posted:

Yeah this would be pretty sweet but at this point it pretty much requires a camera manufacturer to team up with Apple/Google/Samsung (or to be bought by one of them).

They're so far ahead with realtime and near-real-time AI/image synthesis (both hardware and software) that simply getting on parity with today's smartphone capabilities would be a huge R&D investment, and camera makers don't have an Apple/Google-size budget. Or their software engineering capabilities (I'm looking at you Fuji and your terrible menus).

Truth. Even Sony doesn't know how. Just look at their Xperia phones. They're rare but they exist. I have one.

Nice optics, and obviously Sony makes excellent sensors that they sell to everybody else.

But Sony has no idea how to do anything interesting with computational photography and so no AI powered low light photography or any of the stuff that makes Apple or Samsung phone snaps pop for you know ordinary people who don't give a poo poo that their background DOF effect bokeh is entirely fake or the detail and color isn't exactly real.

With Sony's phones you get exactly as much low light sensor noise and exposure time as you expect from a night shot. They do give you raws, and full manual control though. You can achieve nice pretty photos with a raw process through adobe's stuff. But why isn't any of that stuff in the phone's native camera app? You explained why.

I went flying over my handlebars the other day and smashed myself and my Xperia up pretty good. I'll repair it and sell it.

I like the ifone hardware but I can't stand apple users so I think I'm getting a Pixel 8 next.

quote:

Maybe the future is cameras with "Powered by Google Photos" on the back.

I think there's nothing dishonorable about that option at this point.

Only registered members can see post attachments!