Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Thanks, I'll check out the X-T2. It seems aimed at action photography though and I may not necessarily need that.

Are the nikon mirrorless models any good? I still have Muh Brand Loyalty

Sadly no. Rumours suggest both Nikon and Canon are finally going to release serious mirrorless cameras this year though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

frogbs posted:

I think I’m going to let them know, it’s a beautiful camera, but not what I ordered!

Unless your conscious is really nagging at you should keep it. The x-t1 is basically the big brother of the x-t10. It's better in almost every way (although the sensors are the same) you even got a silver one which often go for even more when sold.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I moved to C1 and Affinity Photo awhile back. Still very much on the basics of C1 but not having a constant fee each month is huge.

How often do C1 fleece you for an upgrade charge? I like the idea of pay and forget but I usually just buy a one year lightroom license off Amazon for £100, so C1 would have to offer a good few years with free upgrades to compete price wise.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Hello old friends.

I don't have any camera gear anymore, save a Canon G7 Mark II for backpacking. I like it.

If I were going to buy a mirrorless anything, with say a normal and a telephoto lens, is the Nikon Z7 the thing to do? I heard about some banding issues? I don't care much for anything beyond image quality and weight.

It's been a minute since I looked at camera gear intensely, so just looking for some broad strokes.

Z7 is a excellent camera but I feel most would be better off with the Z6. Also keep in mind there are very few Z mount lenses atm, I don't think any telephotos at all so you will have to buy the convertor and get an f mount lens, but atleast there you have a massive selection to choose from and a very healthy second hand market.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Encrypted posted:

Also lol @ nikon using XQD memory card instead of SD.

To be fair, XQD cards are faster, have larger storage size and more are reliable than SD and I generally think they might be the default format in a 5-10 years time if prices come down. Nikon are just jumping the gun a bit, I can kinda see the Z7 targeting high end justifying it, but the Z6 should have been SD for sure and it will be very dumb if the rumoured Z5 (or whatever they call their new midrange Z cameras) to not take SD cards.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 8, 2019

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Yeah I think for the first attempt the Z6 and Z7 came out great. But they have a LOT of catching up to do and the z mount only has 3(?) lenses right now, so you pretty much need that converter. It would be great if Nikon followed Sony and released the mount specifications to third parties but I doubt they will, this means its going to take the likes of sigma and tamron a while to reverse engineer it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Encrypted posted:

UHS-II that goes up to 300MB/s already exist while being backwards compatible to regular ol SD.
It's pretty neat too since it's similar to how usb 3.0 has a bunch more pins inside the regular usb 2.0 plug to retain compatibility.

There's also UHS-III and SD Express that goes up to 624MB/s and 985MB/s, while they all still work in the ol SD slot.

Ahh didn't know that, that's cool

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

FFS Nikon, why drop the joystick from the Z50? I get its meant to be a cheaper camera and not as premium but other brands are putting the joystick on their entry levels.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

My current gear is a D7500 and all my lenses are f mount dx style. So whichever way I'm going when I eventually upgrade its gonna cost me loads to replace everything so I'm holding out for as long as possible.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Martytoof posted:

My D610 isn’t amazing at tracking either, and even if it was I suspect my screw mount lenses would all hold it back anyway so I’m probably fine on that account.

I’ll probably pull the trigger in January. What’s the lifecycle of the Z’s now? Z6/7 have been out — are we looking at a refresh in any near future? Not that I think I’d benefit from a newer camera, but more looking at prices. I bought my iPhone just before the new ones were introduced (yeah yeah, I needed a new phone ASAP) and for the price I paid it turns out if I hadn’t needed a phone right away I could have waited and bought something more up to date. Just trying to avoid these kinds of situations in future :)

Rumours suggest some new dslrs and new mirrorless cameras to fill in the gaps (z8/9 and z70) but I don't think the z6/z7 will get a refresh until 2021. However I'd expect a price cut on the current ones.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I only spent £100 on my tripod and it's been great (it's a vanguard which I believe is a middle brand).

I mostly use it to mess around with macro and long exposure in the house and occasionally taking it out for walks.

Unless all you do is landscape or your getting paid for your work, I don't see much reason to spend all that much on them.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Hello Spaceman posted:

Look, I'm not saying that it's the largest camera in existence, but the GFX 50S is comically large. It normal-people hands it looks like it was made by Tonka or Fisher Price.

Here it is next to this thread's darling street cameras, the X100F and GRIII.

cmaaaaan that's a big boi

Both of those cameras are designed to slip snugly into a bag. Hell the GR3 can fit into a jeans pocket.
Do you have tiny wee Trump hands or something?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Wengy posted:

My main issue remains the software - Fujis don't work with DxO Photolab, so I'd have to buy and learn something new. That's a pretty sizeable entry barrier to me. What's the consensus best image processing software for X-Trans right now? I'd love to play with a couple of X100V RAWs to see if I can get some kind of workflow going.

I've heard some lightroom users suggest Iridient X-Transformer. Takes a fuji raw and spits out a DNG without the mosaic issues. There is a free demo to give it a whirl.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Free, it says 30 day trial on the webpage?

They also doesn't want to have to learn another piece of software. The benefit of the Iridient X-Transformer is you just convert the file then import it into your preferred editor like normal.

It does confuse me though with the huge market share adobe has that they haven't managed to get fuji raws working right when various other companies with often significantly less resources can.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Tell me why I shouldn't buy a Fuji xt20

Have you held one? They are tiny. Some people find this a good thing but I found it incredibly uncomfortable.

Capable camera though.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Aargh posted:

Better your battery than your arm.

I kinda feel the weight argument has always been a little mis-sold when it comes to mirrorless. When Mirrorless took off I remember seeing all these promises about lower weight lenses and that's simply not happened. As for the cameras themselves, its less than 100g a lot of the time, not the great selling point it was originally promised to be (especially when you have to take around a second battery).

I'm excited for the newer batteries that are appearing now though, the X-T4 500ish shots is a lot more interesting to me as someone who's used to charging their DLSR once a week and was the only thing holding me back from jumping into mirrorless with both feet (I already have a little fuji xf10 in my bag at all times but my main body is still a DSLR).

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 3, 2020

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

teraflame posted:

How many people use back button focus? Is it worth doing?

Personally I love it and can't stand shutter focus anymore. Not having to switch between continuous and single focus and being able to quickly focus and then change composure.

Another benefit is on a few of my lenses the auto focus switch doesn't lock the focus ring, so with back button focus I can switch between manual and auto focus on the fly without having to fumble for the switch.

Depending on what your shooting it can also help prevent focus errors to, eg shooting some birds, your focusing on bird 1, bird 2 moves in front and past bird 1, this can often trick the focus to follow bird 2, with back button you just predict this and release it, locking the focus where bird 1 is.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 4, 2020

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

larper posted:

i wouldnt recommend buying used w/ fuji to many problems

I'm gonna bite. How is buying used fuji gear any worse than buying any other camera gear used?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

qirex posted:

The shrinking of the market is going to slow down the pace of product releases a lot. I'd guess 4-5 years will be normal between flagship bodies instead of the 2-3 we have now. Or new models with only a sensor upgrade, E-M1 III style.

Personally I always thought there were to many different model ranges, especially on the lower end of the market. I'd rather see that than having models updated less often.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Have the full frame mirrorless lenses ever managed to come down in bulk and weight?
I'm currently on a DSLR APS-C with all ASP-C lenses, so while I'm itching to switch to full frame mirrorless, I'm concerned about the weight full frame lenses will add to my bag.

Why not go to a APS-C mirrorless? Cos Ive got a broke brain and covert full frame.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 7, 2020

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

qirex posted:

Sony crammed an a7III sensor into an a6600 body and it seems like the only casualty was a tiny viewfinder. It's too expensive at $1800 but might be a good buy in a couple years. IBIS, dust/weather "resistant." big battery, fairly compact.

Am I being old and cranky thinking the ergonomics of this will be awful with anything that's not a pancake? As recently discussed ff lenses are still mostly hefty big boys

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The open source, free alternative to lightroom would be darktable.
If you compare those, darktable does 90% of everything lightroom does, but slightly slower and slightly worse UI. Camera support and lens correction is slower to be to implemented too.
I personally pay for lightroom because I don't really enjoy the digital post processing part of photography that much, lightroom does what I need slightly faster than the alternatives so I spend less time doing it. That for me is worth the £90 a year (plus my partner uses my photoshop every now and again).

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I agree. Fuji has made a nice niche for itself in crop sensor market. I imagine they will just try and pick up more market share as the others abandon it to concentrate on ff.

R&D for 2 formats is expensive enough, doing 3 is something I don't think fuji could afford.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I think by MF they mean medium format.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

From the reviews I've seen the Z5 is excellent, but as people have said you can get a used Z6 for about the same, so why wouldn't you? Even if you don't want the video features it's got a top panel and faster fps.

It's kind of been screwed over by its own launch timing of coming out too close to the Z6II which has flooded the 2nd hand market with Z6s.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

What nikon camera did you have before if you don't mind me asking?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

ant mouth posted:

I had a D500 that I mainly used for birding with the 150-600mm sigma sport.

Oh wow. That's still a great camera, especially for birding. What made you decide to update?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

First thing that comes to mind would be a used fuji XT2.
Go for a great price these days as its a few years old. On the smaller lighter side of cameras. And as its APS-C the lenses are smaller (and mostly cheaper) than the full frame equivalents.

The XT range sell amazingly well for fujifilm so they will continue for a long time giving you lots of options of upgrades down the road too.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I'm a complete sucker for retro looking crap and boy did nikon have me in mind with the Z FC

https://www.dpreview.com/news/4256384008/nikon-announces-z-fc-style-focused-aps-c-mirrorless-camera

Biggest issue I suppose is why get this over a fuji when Nikon have a history of half arsing their APS-C camera support.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 29, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I wish camera companies would realise the benefit of 3rd party lenses like Sony did.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Lily Catts posted:

what do people use their 35mm lenses (on an APS-C) for? I have a Fujinon 35mm f/2, but I've found that I use it the least out of my lenses--I mostly shoot on the street and the 23mm f/2 occupies that sweet spot--especially when it comes to photographing cats.

Thought of using it for street portraits (I might do a casual shoot with a friend soon), but idk I might just default to the 23mm instead lol

Its close to 50mm on a full frame. So its good for portraits, but I mostly use it for walk about lens when I fancy having just a little bit extra reach over my 24mm(35mm eq), mostly for taking pictures of my dog on walks but it definitely gets less use for sure.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

If they want great preprocessed jpegs and a lighter system then I think fuji probably is the right choice.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The body can weigh less but FF lenses are always going to be bigger and heavier than APS-C comparative ones.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Sure. But, he's adapting FF lenses, so that's not that big of a deal. Gonna be interesting with the new R7 APS-C and what lenses Canon puts out.

They are but id assume its a stop gap to eventually replacing those lenses.

And honestly don't believe Nikon or Canon are all that interested in APS-C. They are making products for it but it seems half arsed compared to what they are doing with their FF and at best its a way to get people to first migrate to a mirrorless APS-C then pull them up to FF, which is a good idea, its what is making be hope for a Z70. But If i wanted a mirrorless APS-C system with no desire to go FF then I think Fuji has everyone beat right now.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

There are. Just not from Tamron or Sigma yet.
Samyang, rokinon and a few of the smaller 3rd party lens makers have a bunch. Mostly manual focus primes though.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Come on nikon, give me a z70/90 :argh:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Even an X-T2 in 'excellent' condition for under £500 these days.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Philthy posted:

Those Fuji bodies are great deals, and I love the layout of everything, but looking at the glass... It's like everything is Canon L price.

Fuji has some premium tier glass for sure that costs an arm and a leg but they also offer a load of much much cheaper stuff.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/category/used-photo-and-video-lenses/mirrorless-lenses/fujifilm-x-fit-lenses

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Cameras are capable of being programmable already. You can flash your own custom firmware, the manufacturers just don't like it as out of date software is part of the desire to upgrade.

Even Fuji have stopped updating their older gear.

qirex posted:

The camera manufacturers are bad at software and they're getting their butts kicked by the people that aren't, even with the vastly inferior optics of cell phones.

They are all Japanese. It's a culture thing. Hardware they are the best in the world, software they are decades behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Oh the Z8 is coming for sure. But probably won't be announced until march and then you won't be able to buy it until 2024.