Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
After reading this thread and looking around a bit .. I am now questioning what to do with my current setup.

I have a Canon 40D right now, with a 17-50 tamron, 50mm 1.8 and Yongnuo YN-560 II flash. While I would love to become a wedding photographer and everything else, I just don't have the time. My images mostly consist of places/things and a few people here and there. Would one of these new mirrorless cameras do better than the 40D setup I have right now? I don't take it with me too many places, mainly because I just have to carry so much.

I've looked at the NEX 5-7 series a bit, I guess I would mainly like to have lenses that match what I use above.

What do you all think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Rontalvos posted:

I replaced this same setup plus a 70-200 F4L with an X100 and in a year I have only looked back when I needed the reach of the 70-200 when at my girlfriends college graduation.

I've just decided to keep my current setup for the time being. I just need to get out and shoot stuff, which is what I am going to do tomorrow on our hike. It isn't the camera .. it's me.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

powderific posted:

That's a great move and can be really helpful if you DO decide to switch things up as you'll have a way better idea of what you'd want to accomplish with an upgrade. Could be you actually do want something smaller, but maybe it's a macro lens or even just a different DSLR else instead.

I really know what I like to shoot (people/places) .. I just find that I don't push myself enough. I went out today at lunch and just did some snaps on my iPhone to at least take some pictures and was quite pleased with what I found .. when I was actually looking. :)

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Not sure if this has been posted in here .. but Samsung is adding a new mirrorless to the mix and it is powered by Android.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/06/13/here-are-the-first-pictures-of-samsungs-galaxy-nx/

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

QPZIL posted:

That would be just awful to use.

I feel the same way. I'm not really sure what Samsung is intending to do besides turn everything into an Android powered device. Looked like zero physical controls besides a power button and shutter release, so yeah, just a turd in shining armor.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Spime Wrangler posted:

Actually it's a really smart move on their part. They just made the computer an optional part of the workflow and added a software platform that nobody else in the ILC market can touch. "Upload straight to instagram or facebook or whatever new hotness you kids are using" is a feature that I bet will win over a lot of people, especially as kids who grew up with those programs start to upgrade from cameraphones.

Smart move if they don't screw it up with updates. Samsung hasn't had the best track record in bug free android releases.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

No, it doesn’t. Sure, I can make my photos looks like they were taken with a potato in the 1970s and suffered water damage since, but there’s no app to enable manual controls or raw output.

At best you can get AE/AF lock, intervalometer functions, and TIFF output.

PO.TAT.O

I just see this as making a big belly flop. I don't see the audience for a $1300 camera + android that at best will take decent shots.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Parting ways with my T4i, still want a camera with good IQ and some good features. For around $500, what is a good option that will fill some of the void from my T4i? My biggest thing right now is I want something smaller. I've been eyeing the NEX 6 for $480 (used from amazon).

What are the better options?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I bought a LN- X-E1 from KEH last night. I've decided to stick with some old MD mount MF lenses for awhile to make myself slow down and think rather than just snap snap snap and be disappointed by the results.

Really looking forward to shooting with this.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I've been reading and reading .. some mixed results it seems. Am I crazy for thinking I can do OK with some old MF Minolta lenses on my X-E1? Is it easy to manually focus?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

-Anders posted:

Manual focus takes practice, especially if you're trying to get something moving in focus.
But yeah, with peaking you should be able to do alright. Just be really critical of what lenses you buy, as a lot of older glass is pretty soft compared to modern glass. I only have one really sharp older lens, the rest is pretty soft.
Either that, or you'll pay almost as much for some old glass as you could get new glass for.

I've stuck to the Minolta Rokkor-X 45mm f2 ($27) for the time being. That was listed by many as being pretty sharp. I doubt I will be taking many photos of moving subjects. I am more these days interested in taking my time and finding the small details in life, learning to be observant which is something I haven't done in the past.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I caved. Sending back my X-E1 body and picking up the kit. From what I understand the kit lens is amazing, and the non bundle price is completely insane.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Why oh why did I wait this long to go mirrorless. My XE-1 just got here and I am already impressed. The size alone will improve my photography because I'll actually not mind taking this with me.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Yeah so, I got my Minolta Rokkor 45mm today and I LOVE this thing. I really really like primes, and for $27 I am thrilled with it. Very sharp, little bulk, a nice little lens for my X-E1.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

krooj posted:

Yeah, you guys are on track - I should get something small/cheap for that activity. Maybe a weatherproof compact. A jersey pocket seems like the perfect killing grounds for electronics.

Too bad the RX100 wouldn't fit those needs. It's quite small and has amazing IQ.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Mr. Despair posted:

You need to bring a chase car with all your gear.

Fanny pack.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
So is there a cheapish way to do macro level stuff on the X-E1? I can't seem to find a good extension tube set that wont mangle the camera. I really don't want to pay $600+ for a macro lens. Or would getting a cheap T1i or 40D with kit lens and use my existing extension tube be the way to go?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

whatever7 posted:

You can pickup the fuji 60mm macro on ebay for about 300 used. There is also a 67mm macro close-up, you can put it in front of the 55-200mm, which is also branded "XPRO" LOL.

I'm not sure where you're seeing it for $300. The cheapest is $375 from Taiwan, and that's a steep enough discount to make me wonder what you aren't getting. Seems around $500 is the going price for it.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

whatever7 posted:

Used, 300 used. I just did a completed ebay search and I see a handful of completed auctions ended under 300 and at least 10 auctions end around 300.

Yes, totally understand used. Ill keep my eyes open for one at that price.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I just bought a used OMD E5 with the 14-42. I can't handle the heft of my Canon gear anymore, and I really don't like carrying it around. The IBIS was the selling point for me .. that and adapting every lens on the planet practically.

What are some of the best lenses to adapt to cover the "general" focus ranges?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

DJExile posted:

You're gonna love it. The 14-42 is a hell of a lens.

Are you talking about MF lenses you'd want to adapt? Or are you looking for other good m4/3 lenses?

Well, I'd like a good wide angle for cheap(er), but even looking at the native wide angles they are not badly priced. Kinda shocked really. Are there any "Must Have" wide angle lenses that are adapted from other systems for the m4/3? MF is just fine as well.

Edit : Just checked ebay for c mount lenses .. I think I've made the right choice with this camera.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 27, 2014

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Picked up an oly 40-150 for $67. I know not an amazing lens but for the price it's hard to beat to extend the range. Now just need something in the wide area.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
My EM5 just arrived and wow, it is a NICE piece of kit. Already feel at home with it, came with a remote shutter too that I didn't know about. All lenses that I wanted are ordered, and one random quirky one from a C mount to play around with.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

DJExile posted:

You're gonna love it :toot:

I went downtown last night and shot with it ... already love it, this thing is very easy to use and produces some nice IQ. I am really surprised at how well I took to it. The seller also included the Olympus remote shutter release, which I did not expect.

Also, this plate (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2240/.f) came with it. What exactly is the purpose of it? They sell a grip that goes on it, is it simply a piece for that?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

phongn posted:

All of RRS' plates are. It mates to the complete body of the camera so it won't shift.

Hmm, anyone need one of these? I don't think I'll ever have a use for it.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Ropes4u posted:

What do you want for it?

$30 shipped to the US? Looks like it's $60 new. If that sounds good to you I'll make it official with a post in the for sale thread with photo.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
So my 40-150 lens came in today, it is the M.Zuiko 40-150 ED F4-5.6, but it will not mount to my EM5. The mount on this lens is a bit larger than that of the EM5, however, both have the m43 logo.... any idea whats up with this?

Edit : Did I just buy a lens that only fits the PEN line of cameras? Uhhh.

Edit2 : UGHHH ... this is not a m43 .. its the standard 43 mount. I hate me.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 30, 2014

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Linedance posted:

Don't worry, Olympus has also got you covered, 3 ways too.
http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/mlenses/acc/#mmf-3

All for about what I paid for the lens or more. This guy accepts returns .. I think that is the best option as I really don't want to add yet another adapter to the mix.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I've come to love my M5 more and more except one thing .. the stupid eye cup that continually falls off. I finally lost it now.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Let me add two more things to the list I hate about Olympus.

Stupid proprietary USB cable.
Stupid firmware update process.

What the heck is wrong with just copying the ROM to the memory card and updating from there? Good lord, this is a convoluted process. Especially since the software told me I would see a couple of things on the camera that never showed, and that's because it actually never did the update. Olympus, your update system is dumb.

Besides this it is a great camera. Thankfully I don't have to do this often.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

SoundMonkey posted:

These wouldn't be so bad if they weren't both completely unnecessary issues, and issues that most if not all other brands do the correct way.

I'd just assumed Olympus had pulled their heads out of their asses with proprietary cables since I was shooting an E-510 but hey I guess not.

The crazy thing to me is that the USB cable connector at the camera is larger than even mini USB, so it isn't like they are saving space by not using mini or micro.

:shrug:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Fart Car '97 posted:

Welp I shot that wedding with the X-T1 last night and god drat did Fuji really loving step up to the plate with 4.0. Like, nailing 9/10 shots in drat near darkness on a dance floor with everyone jumping around.

There is basically no reason for me to shoot with my 5D2 anymore :shrug:

Thank you for this ...

I just ditched my Canon gear in favor of the XT-1 and hearing this just brings a big smile to my face.

Now to unload my Canon stuff.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
My lenses will be here before my camera body will .. why .. OH WHY!?

Picked up the 23mm f/1.4 and 35mm f/1.4 and have a Minolta Rokkor 45mm f/2 + adapter from when I had my XE-1.

I only wish I had something more wide to cover my trip to Canada but oh well, I will have a blast with this setup.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Anyone with the Fuji 35mm 1.4 ... how is the focus ring supposed to feel? I have my 23mm 1.4 and its nice and smooth, the 35mm is hard to adjust, the focus ring has a LOT of drag to it. Wondering if I should return this to the seller .. that doesn't feel normal.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Fart Car '97 posted:

The 35s focus ring is tough on mine too. If i have a complaint about Fuji lenses, it's that there is no standard for the resistance of their control rings. The 35's focus ring sucks, but its aperture ring is great. The 18mm and 23mm focus rings are fantastic. The aperture ring on the 18-55 is awful and constantly gets bumped out of place, but its focus ring's resistance is perfect.

FFS Fuji, standardize that poo poo.

I ended up sending mine back, not even sure I want the 35mm at this point due to the focus ring issue... it also has no stop, so you just turn and turn and turn, whereas my 23mm is amazing and smooth and has a stop.

Couple other issues with the lens, seller did not at all describe it well .. if you say there's no wear on the body, make darn sure of that.

Oh well, I have a few Minolta primes that I like to complement the 23 1.4. I'll be happy with that for awhile. Maybe Fuji will correct the 35...

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I'm so weak. I found a fantastic deal on a brand new 35mm and pulled the trigger. Hope its a better feel than the one I bought before.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Just ask whoever ships it to not send it USPS since their service quality (for me) seems to be completely random these days. My XT-1 finally was picked up Tuesday (didn't happen Monday even though the guy dropped it at the post office drop box, I guess they forgot), and now its just stalled .. two days in transit from Texas to Ohio and not a single update. I am really getting sick of these random delays with the USPS.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
CPO = capture one?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Yay my XT-1 should be here tomorrow, USPS tracking finally updated tonight that it arrived in Cincinnati.

On another note the seller of the 35mm that was not as described pulled the ole "I didn't see the package in the normal spot, I'll check with my neighbor tomorrow" thing on me when I asked about my return (delivered today).

Wonder how this is going to play out .. since it was delivered to the guys front porch I don't think the insurance I bought on it will cover it now. Screw ordering used from amazon from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Mr. Wookums posted:

If it's stated as delivered you should be good to go. Do an A-Z claim. You got insurance and tracking so Amazon should back you.

Yeah I should just be a bit more trustworthy in the process and not assume everyone is out to screw me over. I just handle stuff I buy/sell differently and expect more than I probably should.

ANywho, cannot wait to get the XT-1 tomorrow and start shooting, just in time for pint night.