Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
I just got an X100 and it's a pretty brilliant little camera. It's just so fun to shoot with and the image quality is fantastic. The only problem really is very close subjects, but 35mm just isn't the focal length for that anyways. I'm extremely impressed and very happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
~250 shots. It's not very good but the batteries are small and you can buy some extras for cheap.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
New x100 firmware is out here:
http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/finepix_x100/fupd.html

quote:

1. The following functions can be rocked during shooting by holding down [MENU / OK] button over 3 sec.
DRIVE / Flash / White balance / Macro (set on the Command Dial - 4 direction key)

2. "CORRECTED AF FRAME" menu is added in "SET-UP" menu (the last line on menu page 6) to display additional AF frame (corrected AF frame for reducing parallax) which can be effectively used for macro shots. (Factory default value is set to "OFF")

3. Adjustment in1/3 step increment for shutter speed or aperture setting is enabled in Shutter-Priority AE and Aperture-Priority AE mode, on top of those in Manual Exposure mode.
Shutter-Priority AE : Adjustment is controlled by rotating the command dial
Aperture-Priority AE : Adjustment is controlled by moving left / right on the command control lever

4. In the post-view mode (display after shooting), focused area is magnified in the LCD (EVF) display when the command control lever is pressed.
Cf. "IMAGE DISP." Setting must be set to "CONTINUOUS",

5. Setting of the role for "Fn" button is enabled by holding down "Fn" button over 3 sec.

6. Actual ISO sensitivity for shooting is displayed just after pressing shutter button halfway, when "ISO AUTO CONTROLL" is set to ON.

7. When "eye sensor" is activated by pressing "VIEW MODE" button, "EYE SENSOR" is displayed on EVF / OVF or LCD just a while to notice the status.

8. Macro mode ISO sensitivity, Drive mode, Dynamic range, Self-timer mode, flash mode is maintained even if shutter speed setting or aperture setting is changed. Also, even after changing viewing mode into shooting mode or turning of the camera, these values are maintained.

9. The size of focus frame set through viewing EVF / LCD is maintained even after changing display mode between OVF and EVF (LCD).

10. When "SHUTTER SOUND" is chosen, each shutter sound is performed in each menu setting.

11. In viewing mode, the last viewed shot is maintained as even after changing into shooting mode.
Cf. After another image is shot after viewing former image, memory of viewing the image is cancelled and the last shot is displayed as the latest image.

12. When the aspect ration of the image size is set to 16:9, the line of bright frame line on OVF is displayed with aspect ratio 16:9.

13. Viewing mode with Photo Information on EVF / LCD is maintained even if another image is shot. On top of this issue, deleting picture directly is enabled even in viewing with Photo information by pressing the command dial up, or MENU operation is also enabled.

14. Occasionally, preview image on EVF / LCD after pressing the shutter halfway might be darker than live view, according to aperture setting or brightness of shooting target. This phenomenon is improved.

15. When "DISP. CUSTOM SETTING" is set to OVF or EVF / LCD, the setting value is maintained even after customizing the menu.

16. Even for only RAW data recording mode, "RED EYE REMOVAL" setting is selectable among ON or OFF.

17. In MF (manual focus) setting with OVF mode, OVF viewing is activated after pressing shutter half way, even if "FOCUS CHECK" (magnifying center of the image) is displayed in EVF by pressing the center of the command control lever.

18. Displaying period after pressing each command dial (Macro / Flash) is prolonged from 1.5 sec into 2.0 sec for confirming correctly.

20. For resuming from AUTO POWER OFF setting, the shutter release button was required to hold down halfway for a few second. For quicker operation, resuming is activated by just pressing the button.

21. Image quality captured by Velvia / ASTIA mode is improved on mainly shadow tone (dark area), when dynamic range is set to 200% or 400%.

22. When "OVF POWER SAVE MODE" is set to ON and "Fn" button is set to "MOVIE RECORDING", the camera may be unstable occasionally. This phenomenon is improved.

23. Histogram display on OVF during exposure compensation is improved.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
I only want two things:

1. Put auto ISO in the iso menu.
2. If the Fn button is set to the ND filter, just toggle it on an off like the flash in the OVF.

Pockyless fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 28, 2011

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

ThisQuietReverie posted:

It is sort of surprising how fast you can take another shot while the camera is writing. It just feels like you shouldn't be able to since the back screen goes black and the write light is going. Pleasantly surprising, that is.

As far as AF goes, it takes getting used to remembering that it works off surfaces and not edges like I am used to doing when looking through a viewfinder. That still throws me sometimes.

I turned off the image pop-up and I'm still kind of amazed how fast I can press the shutter and grab a new picture.

AF is definitely quirky but I don't find it terribly annoying.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
The NEX-7 and the EP-3 were seriously tempting me into selling my x100 for an interchangeable system, but then I looked through the x100 viewfinder again and I wouldn't trade that for anything less. I don't even care that I need to menu dive sometimes and the autofocus is slow as gently caress.

There is also a rumor going on about an X50 being announced soon. It has a small sensor, but keeps the ovf.

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/08/22/fujifilm-x50-coming-soon-sleekness-of-the-x100-for-half-the-price/

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Nikon announces their mirrorless system: the Nikon 1 series.

http://dpreview.com/news/1109/11092120nikonlaunch.asp

Key features are:
  • 13.2mm x 8.8mm (2.7x crop factor) 10MP sensor
  • New CX mount
  • Two bodies: the consumer focused J1 and the higher end V1. The main difference is the EVF in the V1.
  • "hybrid autofocus" a mix of phase detection and contrast based AF with 73 AF points.
  • Video capture: The release says you can do 60 FPS full resolution capture with fixed focus and 10 FPS with AF in between. The VF1 also includes a separate mic input.

I'm not impressed with the sensor, but the AF system sounds neat. If you can use phase detection on DX and FX lenses with an adapter, then the system might be useful. This wasn't the mirrorless game changer I was hoping for. :(

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Between the Asia ad campaign, the Nikon and Pantex systems, and the new style of the GF-3 and E-PL3, I'm pretty sure that mirrorless systems are now going to be the new bridge camera as far as a step up from P&S compacts, but not quite a DSLR. These new systems and cameras are almost all going to be for the P&S crowd with more disposable income as opposed to enthusiast photographers.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

titanium posted:

I picked up my X100 today, I seemed to have found the last one in the Twin Cities. One issue I have (maybe its just with mine) but if I'm any closer than 2.5/3ft away I have to go into macro mode. This isnt normal is it? It's pretty frustrating if I'm remotely close to my subject because then it goes into the EVF mode only.

If you switch to MF and then flip the switch to go into the EVF, you can hit the AF-L button to focus without going into macromode. I do this 95% of the time when I shoot that close.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

Supposed 1,300 USD price for the kit with the 50mm equiv 1.4 and 600 a pop for the other two lenses. That's quite reasonable imo.

Is it wrong that I am thinking about buying this and keeping an x100 just because of the 35mm equiv.?

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Is the hotshoe same as the S5Pro hotshoe?

The hotshoe is not the same at the S5. It's the same as the x100 which is basically the same pin layout as canon, minus one data pin. E-TTL will not work on canon flashes though,

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

MediumWellDone posted:

Unfortunately from the video it looks like it only locks on 'A'. This is one of the small niggles I have, but otherwise it looks like big step in the right direction.

I think it's perfect at locking only at A. You can still quickly change the shutter speed in M and shutter priority modes without taking your eye off the viewfinder or holding the camera awkwardly.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Heck yes for clicky 1/3 stop on lens aperture controls!

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
I'm at almost 10k shots and never had the aperture blade problem. My x100 was a launch camera too.

I'm really on the fence about the xpro1 now. On one hand it's what I want in a camera system: smallish with a good sensor, high quality fast lenses, and a body with a nice big viewfinder. On the other hand, it's a little tiring taking photos with an AF system from a point and shoot. I was using a friend's 7D this week and was pretty jealous compared to my x100. I'll wait for a bit before I decide to give fuji all my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Price and AF of OM-D, everything else XP1