Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have had a GF1 since around when it came out, with the 20mm kit-lens as my only auto-focus option.

I am going on a trip, and I would like to get the 14-45mm for a walk-about. There is the 14-45mm and then also there seems to be a 14-42. Which one is the better lens?

Amazon has the 14-42 here http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-14-42mm-Aspherical-OIS-Interchangeable/dp/B0043VE28I/ very cheaply, with some horrible reviews, and then the 45 here http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-H-FS014045PP-14-45mm-3-5-5-6-Thirds/dp/B002IKLJV4/ with much better reviews (and out of stock :/ ).

So the 14-45 is the good one, rite? The only difference in model name from each of them is a 2 and a 5. I am terribly afraid I am going to mess up and buy the wrong one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Man_of_Teflon posted:

IIRC the 45 was supposed to be a bit better, but it's out of production as the 42 replaced it.

Yeah, dpreview seems to confirm that:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicGF1/page19.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicDMCG2/page13.asp
"The wide-open softness means the 14-42mm suffers when compared to either the older Lumix G 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS or Olympus's equivalent M ZD 14-42mm F3.5-5.6, and while it's a match for either once stopped down to more commonly-used apertures, overall it's a slightly disappointing replacement for what was one of the best kit lenses on the market."

What a shame. Adorama still sells the 14-45 for $299. Hard to argue with that, I suppose.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Has any one done a good comparison of the Xpro1 to an Olympus OM-D? I am leaving the country (US) in two weeks and my wife has just authorized me to buy a new camera :o. I apologize if this is a rehash; I have read the first page and past 5 pages.

Currently using a GF1 that I have enjoyed since its release in 2009. My final verdict is that it has been just ok. It is awesome how small it is (compared to the D300 I had before!), but at the end of the day it has always felt like it is lacking something (a talented owner?).

I have been drooling over the Fuji Xpro1 since it was announced and that is my current target. Is there really an Xpro2 just around the corner? There was some mention of it in the past few pages, but I never got to the source.

edit: the body/lens combos for an Xpro1 on adorama and bhphoto are so cheap this is getting very hard to resist...

other people fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 9, 2013

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I had dismissed the X-E1 as it does not have an OVF, but perhaps that super high-resolution EVF is good enough. I am digesting the dpreview of it now...

Randuin, can you explain your point about adapting older lenses and the reasonable wide focal length? Are you saying that one of the two can adapt to more lenses? I have an OM adapter for the GF1 and lots of OM glass, and it seems like their is no shortage of adapters for either mount? And are you just referring to the 18mm fuji x lens, or the lower crop factor of the fujis?

I have no use for video recording, having only used the feature once on the GF1 to film some slow moving poo poo (literally) in the old Paris sewers.

Perhaps an X-E1 is a good compromise for now. If I enjoy it, I can think about the xpro2 when it becomes available.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Does anyone know how to factory reset a Panasonic GF1? Google only mentions the reset option in the tools which menu simply puts all the values at their default, but still keeps the time/date, etc. I want the next person to turn it on to be presented with the initial configuration menu as if it was fresh out of the box.

I am not trying to trick anybody, but it would be nice if they could have the full experience :).

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Are there any meaningful differences between the half a dozen OM adapters for the the Fuji X mount available on amazon, other than price?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
XE1 arrived after dark, of course.

Using my good, left eye with the EVF is of course causing me to smudge the rear screen with my nose. I knew this would happen. Left handed/eyed people getting hosed again!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I'm not sure I understand. The diopter adjustment it's no match for my lovely vision. Even with correction, my right eye just sucks.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/08/technology/personaltech/leica-cameras-have-eye-popping-prices-with-photos-to-match.html

:allears:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Weird question incoming:

Can some one tell me how the Fuji X-E1 wants a memory card partitioned and formatted? I have two 64 GB memory cards which either my PC refuses to read or my X-E1 refuses to read. I can't get the cards into a state where both will read them and the Fuji documentation just says to format the card with the camera which is fair enough but it does not always work.

The closest I have come is partitioning the card on the PC using the GUID scheme and then using the X-E1 to format it. This makes the camera happy and it writes and reads to the card, but then the PC says the exfat filesystem is corrupt and refuses to mount or fix it.

If I partition/format the cards on the PC then the PC has no problem with them, but the camera says the cards are "not initialized". Formatting the cards with the camera at this point makes them unreadable by the PC and I want to shoot myself.

What the gently caress. They used to just work >:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Helicity posted:

I've never had that issue before - are you sure it supports the card type *and* size? Barring someone else saying they know exactly what the issue is, I'd be wary of that card.

I would think the same but they are standard cards and as I said they used to work fine:

Sony 64GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 R40 Memory Card (SF64UY/TQMN): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7ID9CU

The X-E1 supports SDXC up to at least 64GB.

I used them for something else a few months ago and now they are in this state. I suppose this is more of a technical/software issue so I may go bug the SH/SC people...

edit: Ah ha! I got it to work by using the MBR partition scheme and formatting with the PC. The camera happily reads the card. This is weird as if I used the PC to make the MBR scheme and then asked the camera to format it it did not work. Whatever. I am not touching it now. Crisis averted.

other people fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 23, 2014