Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Reporting in that Adorama's $2.49 soft release works brilliantly on the x100 and I wouldn't want to shoot without one. My Gordy's wriststrap arrived this week too and is really helpful with giving you something substantial to hold on to.

Retrospective 5 and this knock off battery charger that charges NP-95 batteries from the wall, USB and car should arrive tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

keyframe posted:

Thanks for writing this. I am seriously thinking about selling my 7d and lenses and picking this up. The size is the biggest factor for me.

The x100 is a great, capable camera and I don't miss lugging my 7d and lenses with me everywhere. I don't know about trading one for the other though since a DSLR is a whole options and choice system you buy into.

That said, I've barely used my 7d since and that is attributable to the x100 being new and just fun to use. There are things I can't do in the 35mm focal length, I'm just having fun working within it at the moment.

VVVVVV Selling an L prime to pay for it is extremely sensible. I was trying to buy a prime (Sigma 30 1.4) but the camera store was out of almost everything but did have an x100. They let me fiddle with it and I went and had lunch while I thought about it. The dude pulled the box off the wall as soon as I came back in. Apparently they were waiting for me to come back.

They apparently had two but the store owner grabbed the other one and all the accessories to go shooting that weekend.

ThisQuietReverie fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 23, 2011

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

HPL posted:

How is the panorama mode on the X100? I can live without a telephoto, but it would suck not to have wide and ultra-wide options.

I've had it fail once where it stitched some stuff together weird and I'm not sure why. Some people have reported problems with what looks like exposure changing, despite the x100 locking exposure on the first frame (if I remember correctly).

I can't give an accurate opinion on it until I try more. This was the first one I ever did:

Demolition by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

I believe you can do 120 and 180 degree ones both in landscape and portrait and I think it is JPG only and not .RAW.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

keyframe posted:

I cant find the x100 anywhere :(

Yeah, there's that. Good luck getting an official ring adapter and hood too.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

keyframe posted:

Oh poo poo found one x100 in a local camera shop but they have to call a regular first and ask if he wants it before they can sell it to me. :ohdear:

That's some bullshit right there especially if you have money in hand. Hopefully you can get it and you'll like it.

My x100 (that came with 1.01 preinstalled) won't update. I think Fuji's transfer program is writing the file with a 1/1/2006 timestamp and the camera thinks it is old. Off to buy a card reader to see if that fixes things.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Shmoogy posted:

You don't need the program, just copy the 30 mb file in a freshly formatted card and you're good to go.

The x100 doesn't act like a hard drive, I needed the program to copy the .dat file onto the card. I have a card reader now.

It turns out that Fuji's site was still pointing to the old 1.01 update & refreshing it a few times finally worked.

The new AF parallax correction is neat.

keyframe posted:

Guess who is the new owner of a x100 :snoop:

I cant wait to hit the street as soon as this rain stops :v:

Awesome!

New x100 owner advice:

It takes about 3 hours to charge a battery from flat. It is charged when the light goes off.
Format the card in-camera.
Shutter button half-depress counts as hitting "OK"
Left twice on the command dial and a half-depress will put the camera in Macro Mode so you can do this without taking your eye from the viewfinder.
Up twice on the command dial and a half-depress will put the camera in Movie Mode.
Macro Mode is now persistent with the 1.10 update so if you turn the camera off in Macro Mode and turn it back on with the lens cap attached you will get Scary Sounds and prompted to turn the camera off and on again.
Auto ISO tends to prefer the ceiling of 3200.
Pressing the Command Lever (black dial, top right) while in Manual will turn on the OVF and zoom in to help you verify focus.
Pressing AFL/AEL while in Manual will temporarily engage the autofocus to get you in the ballpark for fine tuning with the focus ring.
Moving the Command Lever to the right while viewing a photo will bring up info on the Dynamic Range and other camera values that were set when the photo was taken.
Moving it to the right one more time will show you where the camera was focused when the shot was taken.
Consider getting a soft release and a handstrap and a few more batteries.
Exposure compensation dial is prone to getting turned when pulling the camera out of a bag, learn to check for this.
It's ok to shoot JPG until you can get a fast card.
ISO 3200 and 6400 are surprisingly clean. You will be pleased.

That's all I can think of that you might need to initially know about.

ThisQuietReverie fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 24, 2011

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

keyframe posted:

I am loving this thing. The convenience alone is worth it.

edit: Everything I shot closeup (not macro closeup, like a meter away from subject) is extremely out of focus, am I missing some setting?

With 1.10 installed go to the Set-Up menu (hit Menu, move left and down) and the very last entry is Corrected AF Frame. Set this to on. In the OVF you'll now have two AF boxes.

The new offset box is there to compensate for the parallax difference between the viewfinder and the lens. When focusing on something close (but not macro close) the AF will turn the offset box green. This should help with what you are experiencing.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

keyframe posted:

Thanks for the tips man.

So I plugged the battery in charger and it is showing a solid green. Is that light supposed to go off when fully charged>??

New owner advice #1, 3 posts up.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
And remappable RAW button to act as a secondary Fn.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
It is sort of surprising how fast you can take another shot while the camera is writing. It just feels like you shouldn't be able to since the back screen goes black and the write light is going. Pleasantly surprising, that is.

As far as AF goes, it takes getting used to remembering that it works off surfaces and not edges like I am used to doing when looking through a viewfinder. That still throws me sometimes.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Chim posted:

hey guys, just got an x100 from a local camera shop, brand new.

I was really surprised to find it came with a sealed battery, PLUS another one already in the camera? Is it true that this came with 2 batteries brand new? Either way, camera is flawless and I don't think i'm going to return it... but it would be interesting to note if somebody put in a battery to play with it and forgot to take it out....

Battery was separate and sealed with mine, yours was probably used as a demo model (remove card and check for pictures in the camera memory, it holds like 7 photos).

It would be clever of Fuji to address battery life complaints with an extra battery though.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Gryi posted:

Could someone post a picture hand holding their x100? I can't get a good feel for the size. Cutting a piece of paper equal to the specced dimensions just doesn't work for me to understand the size.

Can you pocket it? I love my s95... I refuse to look like I'm carrying a camera with me on a shoulder strap while walking around.

Google image search x100+hand will give you examples.

Snapsort reports:

99x58x29 mm vs 127x75x54 mm (s95 3x smaller)
1.2" vs 2.1" (s95 50% thinner)

I think it is a just a little too big to be pocketable, I bought a ThinkTank Retrospective 5 just for it and it works great.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2011/05/21/review-of-the-think-tank-photo-retrospective-5/

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

keyframe posted:

Can you fit a ipad in the think tank?

Yes, if you take the dividers out. The inside of the main compartment is almost exactly the same size as an iPad with the official cover. Without an iPad you can fit the x100 and a gripless 7d with a 50 side by side easily.

It's not a big bag but it holds an x100 and iPad plus accoutrements (pen, notepad, iPad camera connectivity kit, x100 car/wall/usb charger, extra batteries, cards) and that's what I was looking for.

ThisQuietReverie fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 7, 2011

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

titanium posted:

How likely do you think there will be an x200 or upgrade of that camera released soon?

Im interested in getting one but the manual zoom thing has me wanting to wait. I have a d90 to tide me over but I like street photography and I'm itching for a less offensive camera.

That would be the dumbest move on Fuji's part and if they were so quick to abandon the x100 then looking forward to an x200 would be the second dumbest.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

krackmonkey posted:

Care to elaborate? Compared to what previous camera/s? Love about it? Dislikes?

If there was one thing you felt most important to communicate to someone considering this purchase, what would it be?

Disregard if my questions are annoying :) Cheers!

It is an amazing supplemental camera and a pretty drat good primary one. Having interchangeable lenses makes for very nice flexibility but that means nothing if you're unable or unwilling to lug a whole system around. The x100 slides right into that niche. Wherever I am, I have a super capable camera on hand.

I shot a wedding with it as a guest. I have some street stuff I'm pleased with because with a DSLR you get photos of people who act like they are having a DSLR pointed at them. I have a soft release and a Gordy's handstrap on it and it has it's own bag that goes everywhere with me so yeah, I foresee a lasting relationship.

I recommend reading this: http://zackarias.com/for-photographers/gear-gadgets/fuji-x100-review/ and pay attention to the downsides.

Like Shmoogy says, make sure you're down with 35mm. Personally I've found it freeing and the OVF is still a joy to look through. The only real complaint I have that doesn't come up often is that the x100 can be awkward to hold/hard to hold on to when it is 100 degrees outside and I'm sweating like a hooker in church. I've had an official hood on order for around 5 weeks now, I'm hoping it will help me have something to hang on to since I'm used to having a substantial lens to grip.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm a little iffy on the larger size of the NEX-7; while I'm sure it's not going to be massive, the biggest draw of the NEX-3 for me was the size. If it's bumping up on Rebel territory, I'd be more likely to just carry a DSLR. I'm sure they bulked it up a bit for the new viewfinder, but I imagine some of it was just to nip the inevitable "OMG TOO SMALL FOR ME" complaints from pros/semi-pros in the bud. The whole point of the system is to have something small (otherwise, just get a DSLR), so compromises like that irk me, especially since I'm 6'1" with proportionally-sized hands and haven't had an issue yet with any camera I've shot with. Quit complaining, you shovel-fisted babbies.

On the other hand, my NEX-3 gets a ton of use, and while I don't have any major complaints on it, a professional/prosumer type upgrade would be sorely tempting. I'm going to wait until it hits stores to see if I can live with the size, and if I like it, order one from the US (Japanese version only has Japanese menus, and more importantly, costs like US$500 more).

I'm amused by Amazon listing it at 6.2 pounds.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Fuji has made their announcement for the X10 so I'm guessing the X100 will be their flagship for a while.

PIMM's right about the fixed length. I find it more freeing than restrictive. If I were strictly an opportunistic photo taker, the X100 would fit the bill for a long time. I try real hard not to be so I still need a 7D and lens system for a backup.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

daspope posted:

I am really considering the x100 but want some video capabilities. Can the x100 shoot good video without running out of battery in a few minutes?

Caveat: I've shot a total of maybe 6 minutes of footage on it. I'm not a videographer and I almost always forget that it shoots video.

You might want to post your capabilities requirements. The x100 shoots 1280x720@24 fps only. You select the aperture to use before shooting and the camera locks it during recording (this may not be the case if you leave the aperture on A, I'm not sure). ISO is handled entirely by the camera. There is a 3x digital zoom but it's either zoomed or not, no in-between. You have control over white balance and film simulation. You're restricted to 10 minute clips which is standard to avoid European taxes on camcorders.

In AFS-S & AFS-C mode the x100 handles all the focusing and does a pretty good job of not doing it in a jarring way. If you're in a very quiet environment the in-camera mic will pick up the servo noise during focusing (giving a half pass to the x100 here because the x100 is drat quiet while focusing, but only a half pass because there is no way to use an external mic). In AFS-M mode you can manually focus with the focus ring (still not great) or back button focus with the AEL button (works great).

So that is a lot of words to say that the video capabilities of the x100 seem entirely built around casual use and opportunistic clips. Personally, I'm ok with it. There are all manners of whiz bang poo poo on my Canons that I've never used because using video to tell a narrative doesn't interest me right now.

That said, the x100 does do something that my DSLR can't and that is look through the viewfinder while recording (EVF only) which can be a pretty big deal if you feel like recording something while staring at the back screen of a DSLR is the most unnatural, gooberish thing ever.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Paragon8 posted:

The point and shoot market will be killed off by camera phones within the next 2-3 years so I'd imagine manufacturers are trying to find a new market to sell to.

Man I hope not. The form of taking pictures with a phone feels all off.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

mattfl posted:

Wow, got my X100 today. I definitely need to sit and actually read through the manual before I even think of venturing out with this. So far I'm really like it though.

It's mostly about practicing with it to build up finger memory. It has a steep initial learning curve and it looks all confusing when you first pick it up and try to navigate through the menus but you'll get it pretty fast.

Stuff I should have read in the manual but didn't:

Pressing the AE button on the far left quickly lets you pick Multi, Spot and Average metering.
Pressing the AF button lets you pick a focus point. If you hold this button down and move the Command Lever left and right you can make the focus box bigger or smaller. But only in EVF or while looking at the back LCD. It carries over to the OVF, it just doesn't actively change the box size while looking through the OVF.

I don't know if this is a bug or a limitation. I'm spoiled by the 7d's autofocus sorcery so I'm not used to manually selecting a focus point and I'm not experienced enough with the x100's multi AF mode to know whether to trust it or not. I need to go out and shoot a day doing nothing but selecting manually selecting AF points to get some experience with it.

Enjoy it and have fun.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

titanium posted:

I suppose that makes sense, guess I'll just have to crop more often.

I'm not sure I follow you on this cropping thing. Within 3 feet just push left on the back dial, rotate it and half depress the shutter and you're in Macro mode and it will focus on anything within 3 feet up to about 4 cm. Yeah, it feels silly but with the EVF you're getting the exact frame. I'm guessing that somebody at Fuji had to make a call and they decided that framing was the highest priority. I still think it would be handier if the camera just switched to EVF and Macro mode automatically but using the shortcut I mentioned above is pretty fast and you can do it without removing your eye from the viewfinder.

quote:

BTW this afternoon Amazon.com didn't have any but I checked now and it looks like 6 are in stock, drat I paid taxes. At least I got to help a local camera shop :unsmith:.

Are the lens hoods at a price they were meant to be or are they gouging right now?

That's what they started at and I can't tell if they are somehow a pain in the rear end for Fuji to manufacture and they're priced high because it's only for this camera and they have to divert resources to make them or what but it's illogical. I paid for one (and waited a month for it) because I value OEM equipment but it looks like the knock-offs are getting pretty good now.

You'll almost certainly want one if for no other reason than it greatly improves the holding ergonomics of the camera.. As goofy as it looks, it really is handy for blocking stray light and you definitely don't want anything hitting that glass. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else but without the hood I invariably touch the glass somehow. Doesn't matter how careful I intend to be, I'll reach into my bag and end up smudging the lens.

Manually focusing it, holding it, being near it, I will touch that goddamn lens like a concussed kindergartener.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Shmoogy posted:

The x100 is amazing but the focus issues really bother me sometimes. I can avoid parallax errors but my girlfriend misses focus a lot with it, as do most waiters we give the camera to and ask for a picture to be taken.

I've pretty much gone to full time Manual mode because high ISO/small apertures and that sweet hyperfocal gauge has been the most fun for me. PIMM's idea closely mirrors some street techniques where you either AF or MF on something 6 feet away and then you're good for anything within 5-25 feet at f/16 or 7-10 at f/8.

Not that your complaints about the AF aren't valid, they are. Throwing that out there in case you hadn't spent a lot of time in Manual with back button AF or using hyperfocal techniques.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
New x100 firmware released when I wasn't looking:

The firmware update Ver.1.11 incorporates the following issues.

1.Performance of auto focus at near distance has been improved.
2.When "SHADW TONE" is set to "MEDIUM SOFT" or "SOFT", live view in LCD may display with abnormal pattern (so-called "solarisation") just after pressing the shutter halfway. This update improves the phenomena.
3.When self-timer mode is selected, focus and exposure (AE/AF) are set just after pressing the shutter button and these settings are remained for the final shutter releasing.

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/finepix_x100/download.html

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

ReptilePicasso posted:

It was a 3rd party vendor, but via Amazon prime, which caught my suspicion. Amazon has provided me with a return label so I'll return it when I go back home this weekend. Now I have another dilemma. Do I order the X100 again or another camera/wait for the X-pro? Anyone want to help me with this (I hope I'm not derailing the thread). I do like the 35mm eqiv. aspect, but I did prefer the 50mm eqiv aspect on my previous camera, but I don't want to downgrade in sensor quality nor do I want to spend too much more money.

The x100 is a camera and the X-Pro is a system you buy into. If you're invested in Nikon or Canon already, the x100 is a great everyday shooter. If you're not and the flexibility appeals, the X-Pro will probably be a great choice.

Disclosure: I love my x100 and my Canon gear sits mostly unused as I've tapered off my planned photo excursions in favor of more spontaneous, everyday happenstances or gatherings of people which is where the x100 shines. I'm still considering the X-Pro. I miss scene compression from longer focal lengths sometimes. I don't miss carrying around lenses.

I'm looking forward to learning more about the X-Pro but in the interim I'll be using the x100.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
The menus look great and the button layout has definitely benefitted from x100 feedback. I like that there seems to be thought towards not cannibalizing the line/alienating existing x100 owners, hopefully some firmware improvements trickle back to the x100.

I can see the appeal if you're looking for a compact interchangeable system because holy poo poo nothing else seems to come close. There are things I value in the x100 that give me pause though like the leaf shutter (yeah, it's stupid but the x100 spoils in this regard and dumber still, I'm not digging the X-Pro's shutter sound) and the two tone coloring (all black is stealth but the x100 is completely non-threatening with its Gandpa camouflage. Maybe Leica shooters can straighten me out on this one., I've only ever seen one Leica in the wild).

If it was silent and there were demonstrable improvements to the autofocus and manual focusing this would kill the x100 for me. I like that the X-Pro seems like a differently purposed side grade to the x100 and look forward to seeing real world images from it and seeing what the telephoto plans are.

Moonduck edit: Sign me up for some 72-200 f/4 action!

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Manual focus is usable if you can back button focus on objects around you that are in the vicinity of where you want to start from. I back button focus for static things and if I'm shooting people in crowds I just hyperfocus at f/16 and try and plan ahead the best I can.

It could certainly be better (phase and not contrast) but it doesn't feel crippling. I'm much better at estimating distances now so that's a plus.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Slimchandi posted:

Usually he's pretty well informed about his purchases to be honest. His previous camera purchases have been compacts or pro-sumer so the idea of a camera without a zoom is a bit foreign to him, he certainly hasn't ventured into SLR territory.

I think he said he looks at the spec sheet, and under zoom it said "n/a". He thought it meant that they just hadn't got around to looking at the zoom yet. He certainly picked the right camera in terms of IQ, just got that one detail wrong. He's also an extremely generous guy!

Love that camera; love that grandpa.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

keyframe posted:

What are those red and green buttons? :pcgaming:

They look like candy. I bet they are labeled "CANDY" but the labels have rubbed off or weren't ready in time.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
There was new firmware for the x100 released yesterday: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/finepix_x100/

It fixes a couple of crash bugs that I've never encountered.

quote:

1.Compatibility on Mac OS 10.7
When the camera is connected to Mac PC on Mac OS 10.7, the camera is effectively recognized. Additionally, compatibility on RAW FILE CONVERTER EX with Mac OS 10.7 has been confirmed.

2.When VIEW MODE is set to EYE SENSOR activated mode, the camera may be frozen after changing OVF/EVF at dedicated shooting condition. This unpleasant phenomenon is improved.

3.After shooting images at A mode, if mode dial sent to other mode and returned into A mode during data recording, shutter of the camera may not work properly. This unpleasant phenomenon is improved.

The x10 got a firmware update that allows the RAW button to be reprogrammed so hopefully the x100 will see some of that.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Some new X-Pro 1 images posted today: http://brandonremler.blogspot.com/2012/02/fujifilm-x-pro1-random-shots.html

I try and tell myself that I don't need another camera system but I love the X100 and 50 and 90mm would come in handy so I'm just lying to myself.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
I'd love to see the entirety of Fuji's X series roadmap. They claim to have been surprised by the X100's success, but they seem to be monstrously good at identifying and filling consumer needs with the X series. I guess anybody can seem agile when Canon and Nikon are licking each others scrotums and stamping out incrementally better black cubes but I want to believe in somebody (anybody!) making a huge dent in the camera market by figuring out what people want and making it.

I'm just curious as to how long this whole X series thing has been in somebody's head, whose head it is, what the whole picture looks like now and what the plan looked like before they sold 100,000 X100s.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
New X100 owners: look in the plumbing aisle at Home Depot or Lowe's and buy a pack of #7 O-Rings that have a half inch outside diameter and a 3/8ths inside diameter to stretch over your exposure compensation dial. The exposure compensation dial is one of the most useful twiddle-knobs on the whole camera and this gives it the proper tension it deserves for like 2 bucks (for a pack of ten rings). Also buy a soft release of your choosing. I paid $2.50 for mine from Adorama. Coat the threads with a little clear fingernail polish before screwing it in.

Best 5 bucks you can spend on this camera.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

keyframe posted:

Thanks for the info guys. It looks like OM-D is the one for me.

Are you moving from the X100 or just looking to supplement? I thought I remembered you were keen on the Nex7, what happened there? I'm just curious.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
The X100 just got a firmware update that adds face detection, moves auto ISO to the ISO selection menu and makes the RAW button into a secondary custom function button. If you choose to assign the neutral density filter to it, it becomes toogleable.

It took them long enough but well played, Fuji.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Cacator posted:

Do you guys need to format your SD card before updating, or is it ok to just throw the new firmware on it? My third X100 has been working just fine (knock on wood) save for the OVF power save mode which I'm pretty sure is working the opposite of intended as it brightens the display instead of dims it but I wouldn't use it anyway.

OVF Power Save saves power by not providing continuous histogram updates in the OVF.

I always use two cards for the firmware update process, one formatted and on the other I take a photo at my desk. The formatted one gets the firmware copied to it and the other one gets set aside. After updating the firmware I swap the cards and take another photo. I do it this way because updating always resets the image count and taking a photo before and after updating preserves it.

I always format to update, it just seems like when you're writing to camera guts would be when the camera is the most vulnerable.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Mest0r posted:

Seriously digging the new X100 FW update, now it's going to be less annoying when trying to shoot directly into the sky with the toggleable ND filter. Everytime the FW is updated, it seems like the sound the camera makes when auto focusing changes :v:.

I'm usually skeptical of people claiming that the AF changed after every single firmware update but 1.20 really does alter the way the camera sounds. Also, there is demonstrable proof that the AF has been monkeyed with in that manual mode with EVF is pretty hosed when you use the AFL button to iniate autofocus. It's misfocusing like it's its job when that method previously was one of the faster and more accurate methods of using the camera. AF-S is near DSLR fast now though so I'll have to switch to that until this all gets sorted out.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Uncle Ivan posted:

Is anyone getting the X-Pro1 in this thread? It's in stock on Amazon, and while still overpriced as hell, it looks like it has potential.

Probably, I'm pretty retarded. It would have been a day one purchase if it had a leaf shutter.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Also firmware 1.21 update is allegedly out tomorrow to fix Fuji breaking AF assisted manual focus on the X100. I've been using the autofocus lock set to "toggle" as a workaround and like the results but it's still a boneheaded thing. Maybe this will shake things up over there and highlight the need for more dedicated testing and development of firmware.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
I only know of Huff by name but I was caught off guard by the part of his review where he was complaining about the 20 second start up times on the X-Pro 1 and X100 after inserting the cards into his Mac. Yeah, it's stupid that Fuji's cameras poo poo the bed when an Apple product writes thumbnails to the card or whatever is going on but within 30 minutes of sticking the card into an iPad I had worked out that I should set the write protect tab to prevent this from happening in the future.

If he can't reason his way through that it makes me put him on an entirely different aptitude scale with regards to his review. Like those people in commercials who struggle with a mop or attempt to cut vegetables and their hair catches on fire. I have to wonder if he is trying to autofocus on edges like a phase detect camera prefers or if he has the corrected AF frame on. (X100 defaults this to off, does the X-Pro 1?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

That, and after having shot some with EVF cameras recently I started to feel that it wasn't really what I wanted, even the G3 and NEX ones felt inferior to what I was used to from the SLRs.

Have just done some light testing with the X100 so far but man, once setup the way I wanted it, it was not far removed from shooting with my M3. Turned off everything I didn't want, using the OVF (with DOF line and histogram), no image review, JPEG in Astia mode. ND filter on/off on RAW button, ISO on Fn button. Just shoot through that great finder and see what I end up with when I get home. I like.

There are a few other things that make the X100 my favorite thing. One is the skin tone, the X100 just gets skin tones and colors (excepting bright reds) "right" for me. The auto white balance is spot on 99% of the time and the exposure compensation dial is amazingly handy (stick a #7 O-ring on it to stiffen it up).

Be sure and turn the corrected AF Frame to on, it isn't by default. I also like the AE/AF Lock Mode in "Switch" mode and the AE/AF-Lock Button set to "Lock", this makes it handy for focus and recomposing.