Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Hey mirrorless folks. I wrote a post in the noob thread not long ago about my next camera. The tl;dr is this: I have a Canon T2i with Tamon 17-50 F2.8 that's getting old and slightly damaged. I'm looking for something that can handle a variety of types of photography (60% during travel), and has better image quality and low-light performance than what I currently have. I'm also not too interested in getting more than one lens (don't want to carry them around), and would love if my camera made excellent jpegs because I dislike editing. My budget is around $1500, or could go a bit higher if necessary.

Some people recommended a Fuji mirrorless, so I've been taking a look at them, mainly the X-T10 and X-T1 since I can afford the higher end with my budget. I went to B&H today and tried holding both with the 18-55 kit lens, and have mixed feelings. I really like the lighter weight of the X-T10, but my first impression of the grip is that it feels a bit unbalanced and more difficult to hold. The X-T1's grip is more comfortable, but it's certainly heavier. I think I'm leaning more towards the X-T1, since comfort is obviously important, and both are still lighter than my current camera anyway.

I also tried both the 18-55 and the 18-135 kit lenses. I love the reach of the 18-135, but it seems a bit too heavy to leave on all the time, and I would miss the larger aperture of the 18-55. Though, I think I'll miss the constant F2.8 aperture regardless. I did look at the 16-55 F2.8, but it's quite expensive and heavy, so I probably can't consider it further.

I also tried the Sony RX100 IV while I was there, and I'm amazed by what a compact can do nowadays. Not sure it would be able to handle everything I like to shoot though.

So, I'll probably end up going for the X-T1 with the 18-55, but I'm just wondering if there's something important I didn't consider, or if anyone has any other feedback on my thoughts here. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Wow, thanks for all the responses!

Animal posted:

Do you absolutely need to have a zoom lens?

If you MUST have a zoom lens, either the X-T10 or the X-E2 with the 18-55mm will do.
I think I do. I mean, I could possibly manage without a zoom, but I don't see myself making that leap right now. You're right, the X-T10 is certainly a good enough camera for me, and I liked the weight of it, but as I mentioned, it didn't feel as comfortable to hold as the X-T1. I think the difference in comfort may trump the difference in weight in this case.

rawrr posted:

In terms of control interface, the LX100 is in a class of its own (vs other serious compacts) with dedicated, physical exposure, shutter speed, and aperture dials. Yes it's less enjoyable to use than the xt1and the xt1 is obviously the better camera, but if the xt1 is only going to have the 18-55 mounted and size is a consideration, then there isn't too much the xt1 can shoot that the LX100 with its 24-75mm equiv. F1.7-2.8 lens can't.

alkanphel posted:

I'd agree with rawrr, if you're not planning to get one (or more) of those sexy Fuji primes, I think the LX100 is probably your best choice here. The Sony RX100iv is also a very good choice if you need an even smaller camera for travelling.
Great suggestion, I've seen the LX100 mentioned but haven't looked into it. Now I will. It's also worth noting that to me, the X-T1 has an overwhelming amount of dials, and as someone who rarely shoots in manual (usually P, aperture priority, or shutter priority), I can't imagine I would ever need so many of them sitting on top of the camera (though they don't hurt, either).

Regarding some of the comments that mentioned price, while that's usually an important consideration for me, it's not in this case; $800 or $1500 makes absolutely no difference.

---

So, it seems like the frontrunners are the RX100 IV for most compact, the X-T1/18-55 for best performance, and the LX100 somewhere in the middle. As I'm looking into these more and hopefully going back to B&H to try them out, here's a longer summary of my original post if it would sway your recommendations at all:

As mentioned, I'm looking for better image quality and low-light performance than I got with my T2i and 17-50 F2.8, and isolation/bokeh that's at least pretty decent if not comparable. I like to shoot a large variety of things - outdoor travel (landscapes, waterfalls, architecture), indoor travel (museums, churches), outdoor macro (flowers), nighttime long exposure (city skylines, stars), and general low-light (reunions with friends). Also, I don't really care for carrying extra lenses around, and I dislike photo editing, so excellent jpegs would be a wonderful bonus.

I know the X-T1 can handle all this and more, for a bit less weight than my current camera, plus weather sealing and the rest. Seems like a pretty sweet deal within my budget. If the RX100 and LX100 can also handle everything listed at better quality than my current gear, that's super helpful to know, as it means compact cameras have come farther than I thought. and I might actually get away with ditching my blackrapid strap in favor of my pocket. If the LX100 is actually comparable to the X-T1 with 18-55 for the variety of things I shoot, that's also really useful information to keep in mind. Given the extra background info, I'd like to confirm whether those statements are true. Any other thoughts to help me make a final decision would also be much appreciated. Thanks <3

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Geektox posted:

Honestly, don't take this the wrong way, but it really sounds like the X-T1 would be too much camera for you. If you're not going to use the extra dials it's just one more thing to worry about, and if you are buying it purely to use the 18-55, then really any of the X-Series would do. I would also say go with one of the compacts. My RX-100 can take useable shots even at ISO6400 and from my limited experience with Canons I'm pretty sure that's leaps and bounds better than what you have now. Very few cameras are going to be unable to handle the types of pictures you're taking because none of it is all that specialized anyway. In your case I'd say the best camera would be the one you're most likely to bring with you, and I think the compacts win out in that regard.

Animal posted:

I made the same "mistake" and bought the X-T1 early on my photography learning period, because of the really nice viewfinder, and I don't regret it. At first it was daunting and a lot of the controls were unused, or worse, on the way. But by now I know my way around the camera that I don't even have to bring it down from my eye to change most settings. I curbed my GAS on the outset and instead of buying more lenses, I kept what I had and bought more books. It is nice to grow your skills up to the camera, instead of beyond it and then feel the need to upgrade. So I don't regret buying the X-T1, and feel that if he can afford it, go for it, but please take the time to do some reading and improving your skills instead of walking around with too much camera like its an 'effin trophy around your neck. That being said, if he is never, ever gonna get any more lenses, then yeah the X-T1 might be a little too much. But if its the camera he wants, and its the camera thats gonna motivate him to go out and shoot...

Two very valid opinions, thanks for the input! I'm pretty torn, and could see myself going either way. I hate these sorts of decisions...

Anyway, I've heard the full range of viewpoints here, so I'll just have to keep it all in mind and decide when I go try them out again.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Bit of a specific question, but the other day I was trying to find a cheap way to rent a telephoto Fuji lens in NYC for just a day or so. I don't need the f2.8, just the basic 55-200 would be good enough. I googled a bunch and couldn't find anything that didn't involve shipping it from out of state and paying almost as much for shipping as for the lens.

Anyone in the area know a place that might have it?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Linedance posted:

Worst comes to worst, just go to B&H, buy one, then return it when you're done (wasn't what I was looking for/needed something wider/longer/faster/blah blah 15% restocking fee, sure thing)

Eh, if it's actually 15% I could rent it cheaper from an online place even with the shipping. I guess it's possible that it would still appear brand new and thus be free... unless opening the box prevents that entirely.

whatever7 posted:

I was going to point you to the obvious choice, Adorama Rental, and just found out they don't rent Fuji lens any more. Wow what a terrible way to find out the bad news. I rank it right behind going to Pearl Paint to get some art supply and found out the the 50-year old store had closed.

This definitely has to do with Fuji opening their own lens rental service.

I didn't know they used to have Fuji, but yeah, I checked there and was similarly disappointed.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Ended up picking up the a6000 on Amazon Warehouse deals. Turns out there was an additional $70 discount once I put it into my basket, so I ended up getting it for about $430 shipped after taxes :iiam:. Thanks for the information guys, much appreciated :)

That's the 15% off cyber monday deal whatever7 was referring to. Good stuff.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I picked up a 55-200 Fuji this week from KEH. I don't need anything super fast but I need more reach than my current 12, 24, 35 and old 50mm minolta gave me. Looking forward to using it once my body is done trying to murder me with the flu.

Would you mind sharing the condition and price of yours?

I've been wanting that lens but I probably wouldn't use it enough to justify buying it new.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

EX @ $400. It's pristine

Ah, okay. Thanks.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Animal posted:

If you shoot RAW+Fine, it allows you to go back to your image and change the exposure (Fuji's ISO is adjustable in post), push/pull shadows and highlights, change film simulations, sharpness, etc. Basically it allows you to create a whole new JPEG as if you had taken the shot with all different settings, except for aperture and shutter speed. Like Lightroom inside your camera. Once you are satisfied with the results you can go ahead and delete the original RAW image.

To use it just press Q while previewing an image, it easy to use. You will love it.

Huh, gonna have to try this out too.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I have an X-T1, and I may have the opportunity to do some night sky photography in a couple weeks. The last time I was able to try this, it was the week after I got the camera, and I had trouble getting focus. Assuming it's extremely dark and I can't see much of anything in the viewfinder or rear LCD, what's the best way of getting focus to infinity? I see the rear LCD has a focus meter in manual mode, which has a blue line with a white dot in the middle on a scale, so that looks promising. The white dot doesn't go past the end of the scale, so does that mean the (18-55 kit) lens doesn't actually go past infinity? Or should I get the white dot to the infinity marker and stop before the blue line goes off the edge of the scale? Or is there a better way entirely?

Also, do you guys who do this more often use a remote shutter release, the smartphone app, or just the self-timer? Thanks!

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

By far the easiest way is to AF on the moon then switch to MF and gaff tape the focus ring.

Yeah, if the moon is visible, definitely. Last time I tried though it was not, and the auto-focus wasn't usable on anything else either.

Choicecut posted:

I took a quick shot coming up my driveway off the top of my car the other night. This was 20 seconds with the 16mm at 1.4 iso 800. Notched it to infinity, but it's still not pinpoint stars.

Yeah, I don't remember what exactly I tried last time, but I know the end result was similar, with the focus close but not quite there. Unfortunately I couldn't even tell whether it was exact or slightly off when reviewing the photos on the LCD and zooming in. It was only clearly slightly off after checking on my PC.

I guess I'll try going by the LCD's focus meter and see how it goes, but it sounds like it might turn out to be just as difficult as last time.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Thanks everyone for the continued feedback. On the lenses, that was just to get a basic idea on a cost comparison from Fuji to Sony.

I pulled the trigger on the X-T20. Of course you fuckers recommend the camera sold out everywhere. :v: Now I get to play the waiting game. Ordered through B&H as it claimed 1-2 weeks to come in stock as opposed to 1-2 months on Amazon. Got the 18-55 kit lens bundle.

The wife, who actually knows a bit more about photography, was happy with my recommendation after she did her own research - so again, thanks goons!

You made a good choice for your situation, assuming you've held the camera in your hand first, because the feel is very important. Once you've used the kit a bunch, you can decide if you want to expand into more telephoto for wildlife, wide angle for better landscapes/night-time long exposures, or one of the variety of primes.

You will however be overwhelmed with the camera controls at first, especially coming to Fuji from a point-and-shoot. The X-T20 isn't as overwhelming as the X-T2, but there are still a lot of dials and menu options you'll need to learn, so I hope you stick with it and figure it all out. Sounds like your wife might be able to help.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 4, 2017

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
And speaking of Fuji and hiking, I currently have an X-T1 with the kit lens, the 55-200, and the 35 f/2, and I have a couple questions.

First, I've been out of the loop a bit since around the time the 23 f/2 was released, but I had been waiting for that to release for a while as I was considering switching from the 35 to the 23. I'm now considering that again and looking for advice. I currently use the 35 for a few particular things:
- general street and nature photos if it's raining
- low light photos indoors for gatherings with friends
- food close-ups of my wife's baked goods
- the occasional portrait
I'd imagine the focal length of the 23 would be more useful for the former two, and less useful for the latter two. The 35 also has a slightly larger aperture improvement over the kit lens at it's respective focal length (3.6 -> 2 vs. 3.2 -> 2). Which do you guys think would be more useful for me to have? And I guess I should make sure: did the 23 turn out to be just as high quality as the 35?

Second, one of the most common uses for my camera is for landscapes and wildlife while hiking (and sometimes astrophotography afterward). Recently I've been looking to lighten my pack, and would like to avoid carrying all three lenses around with me all the time. I need the 55-200 for wildlife, and I need the 35 (or 23) for inclement weather, so the question is really whether I can avoid taking the kit lens. With the 35 as my prime, the answer is certainly no, as it can't handle landscapes, but what about the 23? Do you guys think it would make a reasonable enough landscape lens, or should I just suck it up and take all three?

edit: I should clarify, I don't carry around the 55-200 on all hikes, only when I'm expecting significant wildlife sightings. But my next trip is to Yellowstone, so...

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 4, 2017

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

So I've returned to the X-T20 (please, no comments) ..

:aaaaa:

Who wants to start a betting pool? Back to Nikon next? Olympus?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Looking for some eclipse advise. I'm gonna be at Grand Teton National Park on the 21st. I'll have my X-T1, 18-55mm, 35mm f/2, 55-200mm, and a tripod. I'm trying to plan what I'm going to do.

There won't be time to change lenses during the main event, so I pretty much need to pick one. The 55-200mm seems like the obvious choice to just zoom all the way in and shoot away, and it would be very cool to get those photos. But, given the location, maybe it would make more sense to go wide and get in as much scenery as possible? I've never done this, so I don't actually know if the fact that an eclipse is happening will be obvious from 18mm, or if there will be proper light for good landscapes. I only have one body though (cheap point-and-shoot and phone aside), so I need to choose. What do you guys think?

Also, I'm gonna need a solar filter, and these seem popular. But if I end up going with the 55-200mm, I'm not sure which size to get. The thread is 62mm, which is in the range of the smallest 50-69mm filter, but the full diameter of the whole lens seems to be around 69mm, which I guess would require the next largest size? For the kit lens I would of course just go with the smallest one.

Thanks.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
My father-in-law travels frequently and likes to take a lot of photos, but he's still using a Canon T2i. That camera is pretty ancient now, so I want to get him an upgrade. He doesn't know much about photography, so he rarely touches any settings and shoots jpegs only, but I know he appreciates having a decent sensor size for prints.

It seems like many manufacturers have reasonable options, so I'm not even sure where to start. Is there a generally recommended best entry-level mirrorless camera nowadays?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Yeah, I'm not certain but I think he's still using the kit lens... I don't think he ever bought any others.

I'm in the Fuji ecosystem so was considering something there, but Fuji tends to have more manual controls, and I think you guys are right that it's better to not make him learn something brand new. I'll take a look at the M50.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Cognac McCarthy posted:

And on the off chance anybody has a 70-300 and either the 18-55 or the 16-55, has having a gap in your lenses between 55mm and 70mm caused problems? The XF 55-200 is around the same price and wouldn't have that gap, though less reach and it seems slightly less sharp.

I've had the 55-200 since it came out, and always found it to be rather sharp. But these days I would definitely get the 70-300... I'd swap mine for one if it didn't cost anything.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
If you're interested in something on the level of the X-H2, why get the X-S10 over the X-T4?

I'm probably also going to be deciding between these in the next couple months, actually. I still use an X-T1, so could really use an upgrade. With my use case being almost exclusively travel, I'm pretty tempted to go with the X-S10 for the reduced size, weight, and of course cost, but I would definitely feel weird losing the control dials I'm used to, and to some extent would miss the peace of mind of the weather sealing.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I wrote a couple months ago that I'm trying to decide what to replace my X-T1 with. With the addition of another option, I'm still not sure.

Most recently, I was debating between the X-T4 and X-S10, and perhaps leaning towards the latter if I can get over the different control dials and lack of weather sealing.

With the X-T5, I'm certain I don't need or really even want 40 megapixel images, but if that's how sensors are trending then at some point I won't have a choice. And it would be nice to get the most advanced processor, autofocus, and IBIS they have available. Will be substantially more expensive though, so I don't know.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

aricoarena posted:

I'm mostly curious about this since I have not paid attention to cameras in the last 9 years. If anyone was doing that level of processing in camera?

Not nearly the same level, but Olympus/OM has computational photography features that other manufacturers do not. I don't agree that it's a wholly different market - after all, it's not only about AI making decisions, there are useful computational features for all sorts of photographers. I imagine other manufacturers will have to catch up at some point to stay competitive, but Google and Apple had a huge head start building those teams.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Lily Catts posted:

How's the Fujinon XF 55-200 OIS lens? looks like it's at the same tier as the excellent XF 18-55 OIS. I can't afford the fast telephoto (50-140) so this would be the next best thing. Might want to do sports shooting soon

It's very good, but most people consider the newer 70-300 to be a better buy, since it's roughly the same price and provides an extra 100mm on the long end (which is what you generally want from a telephoto zoom, instead of the extra 15mm on the wide end).

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

pumped up for school posted:

I picked up the 70-300 last month used. I'm a little puzzled because it's been beating the pants off my 16-80 for general sharpness. So I'm super happy with the 70-300 but wondering wtf I'm doing wrong with the 16-80, same lighting conditions, same targets, really.

Well, my 55-200 is noticeably sharper than my 18-55. I would expect a similar difference between the 70-300 and the 16-80. The Fuji kit lenses are great, but the telephoto zooms are still a step above. Hard to say of course if that's the only reason in your case.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Does anyone have recommendations for the best way to keep a camera easily accessible while hiking?

I go on one or two hiking-focused trips per year (day hikes, not overnight), and I currently just have a BlackRapid strap, which is not ideal. I have to put it under my backpack, so my left shoulder has two straps stacked over each other, and while keeping the camera on my right hip is fine, I have to be very careful about it accidentally swinging around on rocky terrain. I also can't use the backpack's hip or sternum straps to keep the space clear for the camera.

I know BlackRapid has a version that can attach to a backpack, so that would probably work better, but the swinging would still be an issue and it might make it more difficult to take the backpack on and off. I've also seen people use a backpack strap clip, which I've never used but I know Peak Design makes one. I'm sure there are other solutions as well. What do you guys think?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Viginti Septem posted:

I assume by right hip you mean something like the Spider Holster?

Oh, no, this is basically what I have: https://www.amazon.com/BlackRapid-Mirrorless-Right-Handed-Left-Handed-Photographers/dp/B079M1NKD4/ It goes on my left shoulder, underneath my backpack strap, and dangles on my right hip. To use the camera, it just swings up along the strap, but then I can't use the horizontal straps on my backpack or they'll block it.

A hip holster seems like it could work though, if it stays in place, since it wouldn't interfere much with the backpack. I'm not sure how I would attach a chest holster to my current standard Osprey pack.

Verman posted:

Depends on the size of your camera and lens configuration. There are clips like peak design to attach to your backpack strap but they might not be the best solution if you have a big lens/camera. A lot of my wilderness photographer friends do either the peak design clips or some type of chest rig/bag that clips to your backpack straps.

Yeah, good point. I use Fuji so it's relatively small and light (I'm upgrading soon, so let's just assume an X-T5 with 18-55 kit or 70-300). I suspect the Peak Design clip would work pretty well, so I'm leaning towards that unless there are recommendations against it / for something else.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Possibly overkill, but I recently switched from the peak design clip to the large version of this, which I clip across the chest using two carbiners to the backpack chest strap: https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/products/camera-pod

:drat: Glad it's working for you, but yeah that would be a bit much for me.

My only real concern with the peak design clip is exactly that potential for bumping and rattling around, but since I use the rather small 18-55 90% of the time, I'm guessing it would be okay. That said, the reason I'm bringing this up now is that I'm doing a fairly strenuous 9-mile day hike in a couple weeks, and would rather not deal with my camera swinging around my hip for the whole ascent and descent. If it's just gonna be bouncing around my chest instead, that's not such a huge improvement. For more relaxed hiking, my current setup has been serviceable, if annoying.

Well, I guess it also might be kind of a pain to no longer be able to put my pack down without doing... something with the camera first, but I'm sure that can be figured out.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

charliebravo77 posted:

If I'm carrying a camera setup bigger than my x100v I use a Cotton Carrier Skout https://www.cottoncarrier.com/collections/all/products/grey-skout-camera

Nice, I came across this one yesterday and it seems like a solid option. You don't find the shoulder strap bothersome at all beneath a pack?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

rolleyes posted:

Late to the pod/clip party, but I've used the peak design one with the XF 16-80 attached and carried it up mountain hikes with no issues. It's pretty comfortable too.

Thanks, all the posts about this topic have been very helpful. Apparently I'm gonna be like next door to a peak design store this weekend, so might as well pop in with my bag and try it myself.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

This was a while ago but I'm just finishing a 3 week long hiking holiday and I picked up a peak design clip just before I went so thought I'd drop my 2 cents.
Probably the best accessory I've ever bought, being able to just unclip it, snap a few shots and clip it back on was so much better than a strap or getting it in or out of my bag.

I was rocking a D7500 + 16-80 for most of the trip. So far from the lightest or smallest setup and it never felt in the way or too heavy for the strap, although I did have to have the chest strap of the bag going across, it swung to much without it.
And this was even during climbing Ben Nevis, Snowdon and Scafell. Not the most challenging mountains in the world but certainly some points you have to scramble over rocks, and the clip made it easy with the camera secured to me.

I probably looked like a huge dweeb walking around with a DSLR strapped to me but it honestly was great, highly recommended.

Guess I should also follow up since my last post was about trying the clip at their store. I was honestly surprised that I actually found it uncomfortable. I didn't like the way the metal back plate constantly tilted back and forth against my chest while walking. It wouldn't be an issue when wearing a jacket, or perhaps if I weren't so skinny, but in any case I ended up just keeping my camera in my pack on my last trip. Which, unsurprisingly, led to taking fewer photos out of laziness, so that's not such a great solution either.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Ashex posted:

I'm looking at getting a smart adapter like the one from Fringer, is it worth getting it or should I finally sell the lens and get a comparable one? And if I should sell it, what lens should I be looking at?

Can't say if you should sell or adapt, but the only comparably fast Fuji telephoto zoom is the 50-140 2.8. It's a great lens, but the 70-300 is very nice if you don't need the speed and want much more reach for half the price.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 16, 2024

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
The 16-55 is great and I'm always tempted to buy it, but it's pretty heavy and I only use my camera for travel, so I still haven't replaced the kit.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Fuji is releasing a new kit lens soon to make better use of 40mp, right? Is anyone waiting to get an X-T5 with that instead of the 18-55 or 16-80?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Shammypants posted:

I've heard people say it's a wild decision to release a new kit lens. If the old kit lens were released second, people would say it was a big upgrade.

In terms of functionality, the old kit lens was so useful for making video for normal people and families in particular. The new lens is less useful for photography and video for me personally. I'd end up selling it and getting a nice third party lens whereas the old kit lens found room in my bag for some time.

I mean, all we know about the new kit lens so far is the name: 16-50mm f/2.8-4.8 R LM WR. So just the range, aperture, weather resistance, and that it doesn't have image stabilization. Without reviews or tests, how do you know how useful it is? Or are you talking about the current 16-80 kit?