Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Playing with an A7S for a while, I found AF-C great in most situations, especially with the tracking modes. For any kind of handheld stills shooting, I thought it was pretty baller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Mr. Despair posted:

e. also lol, a silver em5

I like the Olympus cameras in silver! Silver Sonys, now those look horrific.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
There's a firmware update for the a6000 out now that adds XAVC S and makes it start up appreciably more quickly!

Now I need a faster SD card for video.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I have what's probably a stupid question. When we're talking about video with a camera that doesn't have IBIS, and then we're talking about wacky adapters and lenses, then we're shooting without stabilization, right?

I just assumed that would be real bad with video, since any video I've accidentally captured with an unstabilized lens has been jacked up poo poo. What am I missing here? External stabilization of the camera itself?

I've always felt like I'm stuck with the handful of Sony OSS lenses for video stuff.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

getsuga posted:

Gimbals!

Aside from being fun to say, they're an essential part of shooting any sort of filming while moving.

Well, that answers that!

Thanks. I've always kinda wanted one, but they seem like kind of a steep investment for a guy who wants to make videos of his dog and baby.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Since they added XAVC S in a recent firmware update, the a6000 is pretty great at video.

Here's a demonstration chosen by having the best title: https://vimeo.com/131015334

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 21, 2015

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The a6300 sounds pretty sweet. S-Log3, 120fps in HD, 4K in S35 mode... it's a pretty huge upgrade in terms of video features. I don't know what to do now. I thought the obvious upgrade path from my A6000 was something in the A7 range, but maybe I should stay small and croppy.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
That's pretty steady for being zoomed in so far. Shooting handheld at that length is like holding a pencil by the eraser with your fingertips and trying to write. OSS can only do so much. (Try turning it off to see what it's getting you.)

I want a gimbal of some sort, but they're all super pricey. A shoulder rig can help a lot, though! I have one that looks like a rifle stock that I'm afraid to use, because I think the NYPD will shoot me. :v:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Slanderer posted:

Would a monopod help, or would that just just replace the shake with sway?

I like using a monopod. You can get a little wobble, but it works. Sometimes I'll collapse it and just use it as a handle to give things some extra weight, though it's not really balanced and everything ends up a little cocked.

A monopod is handy for stills, so I think it's worth getting a cheap one anyway.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Another consideration is that the 35 in question has stabilization, but the 24 doesn't. That can make a big difference with handheld shooting in low light conditions.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Linedance posted:

e- there's no issues with using a Sony FE lens for full frame on one of their APS-C bodies, is there? I get there would be going the other way, but I just wanted to check.

They all work fine, though some of them are comically large and unwieldy on such a compact body, so that's something to look out for if you're shopping around online.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

grahm posted:

a6300 w/ Sony 35mm 1.8

That's an excellent combo. Taking the crop factor into account, it'll probably feel like a narrow field of view at first, but it's really versatile, and you'll get used to it quickly.

I haven't used the Panasonic, but it sounds pretty dope. The lack of stabilization on the a6300 is definitely a source of consternation for me, so that makes it sounds really cool.

I do love the a6300, but I never would have gotten it if I didn't already have a bunch of E-mount lenses already. After having a NEX-5T and the a6000, it was a good upgrade for me, but I kinda wish I was on some micro four thirds poo poo at this point.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Aredna posted:

I've got the 50/1.8 and that really took me a minute to get used to the crop factor - but then I really started getting some amazing shots out of it. The best thing using the 50/1.8 did for me was make me really really pay attention to the background and framing because I can't just crop out extra stuff in post. after two full days of shooting with it I saw a massive improvement in my picture quality.

The 50 was the first lens I got with the NEX-5, so I had a similar experience using that as my only lens for a while. It was definitely educational.

I'm also interested in getting into macro, but I really don't know what I'm looking at with the lens selection. I think in the meantime I'll just try some extension tubes with the 50/1.8. It's a cheap place to start.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Just because a camera does 4K doesn't necessarily do HD video at a quality any better than an older Canon rebel or something.

This is good advice. From my own experience, Sony's a6300 does really lovely 4K, but the 1080 footage looks awful.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
They're also adding a touchscreen, which I sometimes wish I had on the a6300. It would be great for video.

dpreview posted:

It can shoot 4K video much like the a6300 but with the touchscreen allowing touch-to-pull-focus. The AF drive speed during video shooting can be controlled for smooth focus transitions.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
To put it more philosophically, I think you could argue that there is no "right way" for a RAW file to be displayed. There's so much drat information in there that your software has to come up with a reasonable interpretation as a starting point. Sometimes that starting point is more or less usable, or more or less similar to the way your camera's screen would choose to display it (or convert it to a jpeg).

Anecdotally, in my experience, Lightroom takes Sony RAWs and makes them look like a screenshot from a soupy green planet from No Man's Sky populated by jaundiced aliens by default, whereas Capture One gives you a starting point that looks really natural, and awfully close to Sony's in-camera jpeg conversions. I don't know anything about Fuji, though.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

melon cat posted:

Hopefully this is the right thread to ask for this, but I need recommendations for a Sony camera rental. It'll be used mainly for food photography, and maybe some kitchen shots at a local restaurant.

Should I go for the A7R II ($175/day), or the A7S II ($165/day)? I'll be using it with my 18-105mm and my Sonnar T* FE 55mm. I usually shoot with an NEX-5, but it's a terrible, outdated camera and I need something half-decent to use until I can get my hands on the a6500.

For something like food photography, I'd think the extra resolution of the R would be way worth it. Photos from the S will be small, especially using the crop lens.

edit: Unless you'll be editing the photos on a really crappy computer, in which case the smaller images can be kind of a boon.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 12, 2016

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
It's really fun, and the quality on the current generation printers is good.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I've found Sony's wifi stuff to be pretty solid. :v:

It was more fun when I used an Android phone because I could activate it with NFC.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Unless of course you want that intense Saving Private Ryan look that everyone got carried away with for a while*, in which case a narrow shutter angle (fast shutter speed) can be useful.

*It was actually cool in Private Ryan, but it later showed up in a lot of less thoughtful implementations as a shortcut.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 30, 2017

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
But it sounds so wise in its folksy simplicity/ancient oriental secrets kind of way.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Huxley posted:

2) realizing 70mm+ is too physically far away from your kid, they're always either around your legs or running away from you

They also dart from shadow to shadow like cockroaches. My kid is never lit properly.

Fast prime all the way.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Butt Savage posted:

I guess I could do alright with just two lenses initially (zoom and prime). And some lenses are better for video than others, apparently?

Yeah, well something like Sony's 18-105mm power zoom dealie is good, because you get a nice motorized zoom, it keeps the same fixed aperture throughout the zoom range which is hugely convenient, and even keeps focus. It feels like you're using a TV news camera. Not all zooms work that way, which means you have to set everything up differently at each zoom level, and reacquire focus.

One weird thing to point out about the Sony stuff: if it's like my a6300, you should know that the 4K footage looks incredible, but the 1080 is garbage. The way it reads from the sensor is just total bunk, so even if your target final resolution is 1080p, you still have to shoot in 4K and downscale it, and that means the whole 4K worlflow with huge files, slow rendering and probably dealing with proxy files during editing.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Butt Savage posted:

Thanks for the advice, but I think overall I'll be better off with the G85 and the lenses that were initially recommended to me. :)

A good choice!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The sensor flops around in Sony cameras. I don't know about the others.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 13, 2018

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Being able to transfer the odd raw still here and there would be nice, and I don't think it would be that much of a hurdle. The apps in question are just crappy and not a huge priority, so they haven't caught up to the fact that there are some decent options for raw editing/conversion on mobile platforms.

edit: Also I guess it might require a firmware update to the camera in order to send the raw, so that's a pain.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 15, 2018

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
As an a6300 user who's equally into stills and video, the X-H1 sounds like it could be my ticket out of Sony town. I've been interested in Fuji cameras for years, but the video output just wasn't up to scratch.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The screen tilts up and down, and it does a weird, partial sideways tilt to make it a little easier to see when shooting vertically. It's not the full flippy-outy Panasonic style.

I saw it demonstrated in a video.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Also, without the extra battery grip thingy, internal 4K recording is limited to 10 minute clips. (30 with the grip.)

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Aargh posted:

Video is still just a gimmick on these cameras for me and if I do ever get into video I'll just pick up something that is dedicated to it instead (or am I missing something and this is not an option anymore).

MeruFM posted:

Video is definitely not a gimmick, especially mirrorless cameras. While all Sony and Panasonics do video well, the Sony 6xxx, a7s and Panasonic gh series are dedicated to video and the best video you can get before buying some 10k RED camera. Fuji has been catching up to this scene but they're now confident enough to make native x-mount cine lenses.

Yeah, there's a weird gap in the market, where only really beastly dedicated cine cameras have notably better output than the more video-centric mirrorless joints. There are other considerations of course, like how easy it is to set up and integrate with other gear, but outside of certain specific professional settings, it's getting hard to justify.

I would like to have the automatic variable ND filter from the FS5 in every camera, though. Being able to set your aperture and shutter speed and sensitivity and just let the ND auto expose? That seems awesome. Also, someday I'll use a camera with global shutter. :unsmith:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I’m still not ready to open the full-frame can of worms in my life, but the A7iii is definitely the sensible upgrade path for me if I were to do it (going from a Sony APS-C joint).

In more sane decision-making news, I ordered the Sigma 16mm f1.4 that everyone seems to be crapping their pants over. Can’t wait to use it on the gimbal. With that aperture, I can do slow motion without cranking the sensitivity through the roof.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The 18-105 is awesome, but it's a crop lens. The other is full frame (hence the FE in the name). The prices jump considerably between the two formats.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
One thing to keep in mind is that you can use crop lenses anyway, but you'll get a narrower FOV and only be using part of the sensor.

Which, like, with the a7r series is ok because you have too many megapixels anyway, but may be a noticeable sacrifice with the one you're looking at. The compatibility is nice for people who already have a collection of aps-c e-mount lenses.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
After being used to NEX cameras and other stuff in that ballpark, I rented an A7S and it felt gargantuan. Smaller can be nice; it’s not just that a smaller camera is easier to carry around, but you draw less attention to yourself. It’s all “lol, just taking some dumb pics, act natural” instead of “I am a ~photographer~.” :smug:

Even with a smaller camera, sometimes I have so much bullshit hanging off of it that I start to feel silly, like I should be getting paid to take pictures of my dog and son.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

melon cat posted:

As a former owner of the 18-105 I'm going to give a different opinion- it's my least favourite lens in the Sony lineup. Stuck at F4, very soft at its wider apertures. Long and unwieldy. A true "jack of all trades" lens that does "all" things but isn't good at any one thing. But then again all of Sony's zoom APSC lenses are pretty mediocre.

Nice zoom rocker though.

I probably should have specified that I only really use it for video (when there’s a lot of light available). The constant aperture throughtout the whole range, and the fact that it more or less keeps focus throughout its smooth motorized zoom make it really handy. For stills, it’s not the best. Those same features make it kind of overbuilt.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah, these compact systems are great... until they suddenly evolve like a loving pokemon.

What have I done?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

8th-snype posted:

I dunno but what you should be doing is petting that dogge.

Don't worry, she gets plenty of lovin'. https://www.flickr.com/photos/jd_cohen/albums/72157676390725555

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
That's the Zoom H5 Handy Recorder.

And thanks everyone for looking at my dog. She is indeed very good, at least under certain controlled circumstances.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Verman posted:

Thoughts on A73 vs A7r3?

Just based on reading your post it seems like you've talked yourself out of the R by the end of it. I don't think you're missing anything major in your analysis.

That sucks about the burglary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

whatever7 posted:

You can double down on the small body thing and get a X70.

Or one of the Sigma if you can get pass the green rear end tint.

I remember people complaining a lot about the speed of the Sigma cameras, which could be bad for street stuff.

I sometimes get a weird urge to get one, but then I'm paralyzed by the choice of models. If you're going to be stuck with one focal length forever, it had better be the right one! The widest (dp0) seems cool, but it's physically huge compared to the others.