Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I just got a Fujifilm X-S10 as my first mirrorless and I love it. I got it with the 18-55 kit lens which seems great, and I’m not in a rush to go out and buy a stack of primes, but I have been thinking about the pancake lenses and whatever else may be more compact than the 18-55 just to make it a bit easier to carry around sometimes. What is the opinion on the pancakes and should I be considering anything else as something very light and compact? I was alternatively thinking about the 35mm f2 as I seem to be shooting around that point on the 18-55 most frequently. I like the idea of the fast 1.4s but they all seem pretty big and right now I think I’ll get more use out of something as small and light as possible.

I am super new to all this stuff so correct me on anything I’m wrong and dumb about. A reason I was thinking about one of the f2s over the pancakes is I understand the autofocus is fast and good. Right now I’m mostly shooting kids running around, street stuff and some landscapes and portraits. Basically everything but not so much macro or long range bird shots or anything.

Man I love this camera though, it’s bringing me a lot of joy. That’s why I’m doing everything, having a lot of fun trying different stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Thank you, that’s very helpful and definitely food for thought. Rather than immediately spend too much money on a bunch of lenses I thought I’d target a few for keeping an eye out for on local second hand markets and groups. I really am interested in something fast like the 35mm 1.4 to complement the zoom, but I can also see leaving it at home a lot if I’ve got something more convenient to carry around with me. But it’s definitely going on the list to watch out for.

The three f2s seem to have a really good reputation. I just can’t work out exactly how the weight and size will work out in practice. I think I’ll play with the zoom a bit more and try and see if the 35mm or the 23mm is the more versatile pick.

Also, if I don’t like the lens (ie if ultimately I prefer something else to the pancake in most circumstances and just always wish I had it with me) then regardless of how light and small it is I probably won’t end up using it. So good feedback for the pancake, thanks!

I should also note I’m only really interested in stills at this point and not video.

Edit: another question. Given the X-S10 isn’t weather sealed how careful do I need to be? A drop of water will make it explode? The beach will destroy it if the wind blows some sand around? Is it possible to get bags or cases that give it some protection? Or have I just begun a journey that will end in me spending megabux on forever upgrades?

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 30, 2022

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Thank you, that’s really helpful. The size tool is great.

When I was talking about bags and cases I was thinking of things you could use to give additional protection against weather while actually using the camera, like phone cases. I had in my head I could get some kind of zip lock bag and secure the open part around the lens for example. Is this a thing anyone does?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

That’s great. I was kind of surprised people online were making such a big deal about WR as it’s not something I used to think about with cameras, so I was wondering if the modern stuff is just way more delicate.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

I was more worried about sand on the beach I think, as I enjoy taking it on walks along the coast. I am now unfussed about it after reading your advice, I think I was just thrown by how much a lot of people online seem to put a premium on weather resistance and wondered if there was something I was missing re: how careful I should be. But that’s good to know.

Man the primes thing is such a hole to fall down. I’m pretty convinced something lighter than the zoom will have me taking it out of the house/bag more often but it’s so hard to decide. I was set on the 23mm f2 after the advice above but I just started playing more with portraits and now I’m back to debating the f1.2 vs f2 35mms. Even the 50mm, although I find I’m rarely taking shots at that range - yet.

But I think the 23mm f2 is probably the best balance of versatile, cheap and most importantly light/compact, so I’ll either keep an eye out for a good one second hand or wait for a sale. (Or I’ll just cave and get it) And I may keep an eye out for the pancake second hand if I see a good deal. But there is so much tempting stuff for not THAT much money. I’m just super aware I probably won’t lug around more than a main lens and a backup, and that the compactness of the body (which still seems incredible to me given what the thing can do, coming from older DSLRs) is kind of being offset by the zoom (although the 18-55 is still drat compact for what it is!). I feel like a small lens would make it almost point and shoot size, which is colossally useful.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 2, 2022

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Thanks for all the advice! Yeah I’m getting the 23mm f2 and will just buy it I reckon. I kept creeping up in size one model at a time until I was back to where I started.

Edit: I see, I confused myself, what I was thinking was the 23 f2 for general use then maybe eventually a faster tighter lens for portraits and night stuff, I thought one of them was fairly compact at the higher end - maybe on of the 50mm ones? Will keep looking around.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 3, 2022

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Well I ended up going with an X-S10 in the end. That's going to be the stills focused body, while the X-T4 will mainly do video. Will see how it works, might swap around in a few months.

For what it’s worth I got a X-S10 a while ago and it seems like a perfect camera, I can’t think what I’d want to upgrade for except maybe WR (although as people noted upthread it’s not really a big deal). I mean, I’m sure there are advantages to more expensive bodies but at least for the kind of stills I’m doing I can’t think of any.

So now I’m saving all my wish lists for lenses I can’t afford. :-) I wish people would stop using the word “magic” to describe relative lens qualities as it’s impossible to value that. Is more “magic” worth another $500rrp over a slightly slower lens in the same focal range?? I don’t the gently caress know. Low light, sure, I grok that (although i seem to able to crank the ISO on the X-S10 way up compared with the older cameras I’m used to for pretty much no discernible noise), AF speed I get that, but “magic” I find really hard to work out what it’s worth in terms of contribution to day to day shooting.

Edit: my best understanding is that it relates to distinctive bokeh, but I dunno if that’s the same as “good” bokeh

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Exactly one day after I ordered the X-S10 they finally released the X-H2, shipping late September, priced at $2000. Perfect timing.

For me the price difference between them is better spent on lenses, the X-S10 was kind of the maximum I wanted to spend while still have money leftover for something good lens wise.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

I have both those lens and I think so, yes, particularly shooting motion. If you’re using a tripod it’s irrelevant obviously. I find the zoom also really useful for video in general.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

I have been very happy with my X-S10 as I was also debating the X100V - about half the time I take it out with the XC35mm f2 and it feels super lightweight and tiny, the rest of the time I take a zoom (either the xf18-55 or the xf55-200) and its been great having that versatility. I don't especially feel the need for more lens at all, I occasionally wonder about getting a wider prime but it hardly feels necessary. An acquaintance has a X100V and with my 35mm on mine seems BARELY larger, but they are both so small compared to DSLRs I don't think the difference matters much. If i had the 27mm pancake lens on (which may even be the sweet spot for most general purpose shots, anyway) I think the difference would be negligible. I'm sure the XT4/5 would be similar.

I feel like I didn't need a ton of lens for it but just having one good prime plus a zoom or two makes me feel like I can do nearly anything really well, the quality of all three lenses blows me away compared with the older stuff i was used to. I'm sure the X100V is great but at least for me it seems to be a no brainer to have the extra versatility of swappable lenses. I totally get how simple it makes things having just one focal length but you can get that just by having a single prime.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 15, 2022

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Hey are there any standout third party lenses for the Fuji X system that are notably better than the Fuji XF equivalents? I’m aware of the Rokinon 12mm for Astro photography but was wondering about Sigma, Viltrox etc. Especially thinking about anything on the wide/fast end that compares well with the XF 16/18mm 1.4s.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

rufius posted:

That said - I shoot 90% of my photos in 28mm FF equivalent. I use the newer Fuji XF 18mm f/1.4 LM and it is a fantastic lens, I've taken some of my favorite photos with it.

Yeah I think this is the one I want. A little too expensive for me right now but I’ll keep an eye out for any second hand (lol as if I’d probably even save any money that way).

I find with my 18-55 zoom I’m always at the 18mm end or I prefer to use my 35mm f2, or the 55-200, but both basically for portraits or far away kid shots. I figured because I’m basically just using the zoom at 18mm I should bite the bullet and get a lens there, that plus the 55-200 and the 35f2 I think covers more or less every real world circumstance i shoot at I think.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

I recently got a 55-200 and it’s become my most used lens. It’s also about as heavy/large I would want to carry around with me on my X-s10. I haven’t tried the 70-300, but I suspect if I did I’d be switching lenses more often as I do frequently use the 55 end rather than step down to 35 or whatever. I find I tend to use the 18-55 at either end more than I do in the middle when out and around.

I’ve also found it’s sharpness super impressive. The max aperture doesn’t bother me as I’m only using it outside and in daylight, for interior or night stuff I switch to a prime (currently the 35mm f2 but as above am lusting after the 18mm f1.4).

The 70-300 may be better but I love the 55-200 so much as a general lens.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

I have the XF18mm 1.4 (the new one), the XF 35mm, the 18-55 and the XF55-200, and I find I have to force myself to play with all the other lenses because I just get so many good shots with the XF55-200 (at my very amateur level). I think also telephoto being something you absolutely can't do with a cellphone in the same way you can with a proper camera is very appealing. I planned to just take either the 18mm and 35mm for travel, or the 18-55, but the 55-200 has ended up way more versatile than I expected and basically my default lens so I'm worried i'll miss it!

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Do you both mean you’d prefer an x100 with 50mm in full frame terms (75mm ish on crop) or 35 mm (50ish mm)? Wouldn’t a fixed lens 50mm be way too restrictive?

I ask this actually because I kind of sort of agree in that I keep graduating to 35mm (50mm full frame) and up and find it really hard to take good shots with angles wider than that unless I’m trying to take group shots indoors. My 55-200 is becoming my most used lens - I keep trying to use my 18mm and finding jt too hard to take good shots. Everyone seems to love 23mm (35mm equivalent) but whatever that focal length should be good at (enviro portraits, street scenes, architecture?) I keep finding it easier to take more interesting pics with something longer.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

I have to say with my XS-10 and the XC f2 35mm it’s hard to know what the X100 would really add, it’s pretty darn small and light as it is and I can’t think of anything it’s missing. The trad controls I guess but most of my other lenses still have aperture controls and that’s the main thing I play with shot to shot anyway.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Yeah I seem to take my best shots with my 55-200, and I’m very happy with the size and weight - the main reason I haven’t upgraded is that it feels about the max size I’d want for travel, and I think the other telephotos (except the XC) are significantly bigger? In any case it’s the lens I use 90% of the time, with the XF 18mm 1.4 for indoors stuff maybe 5% and the 18-55 the other 5%. I love my XC 35mm f2, super light and high quality, but I didn’t realise how much I’d use telephoto till I got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

I need to work out how to do software updates, I’ve never done one for my Fuji or any lenses. Sounds like I should.