Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ok so I think I've decided on getting rid of my 50D and 17-50f2.8 and 70-200f2.8 lens and switching to either m4/3 or NEX gear.

Thinking of going with the NEX-5N. Looking for something I can carry around more easily with interchangeable lenses. The 70-200f2.8 I have is way over kill than anything I could ever use it for so I'm not too concerned with loosing that. Any other options I should be looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Oh god I don't know what to do.

Fuji X100
Sony NEX-5N
Olympus PEN E-PL3

Too many choices.

What I want to be able to do/shoot.

Carry something smallish around instead of my 50d + whatever lens.

Shoot general walk around stuff, friends at parties, landscape type stuff.

Interchangeable lenses would be nice, but larger lenses start adding bulk.

Everything is telling me the X100 is the perfect camera for what I want to do. Something small, light, fast as poo poo lens, excellent image quality.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

HPL posted:

Don't overlook a Rebel. A Rebel with a kit lens should be at least as good as your garden variety NEX or PEN and isn't that much larger. The problem with today's mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras is that they can shrink the body down until it's tiny, but the lenses are still the same size. The only way you'd get a really compact interchangeable system is if you got a PEN Mini, the new 12-24 pancake and a Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 pancake.

A Rebel would also have the advantage of using your existing EF lenses plus it can be a backup body for your 50D.

Other than that, the X100 is the major option if you want to cash in, size-wise.

I've been seeing the 20mm pancake lens being mentioned as the lens to have for m4/3, but I'm not seeing anything on the 12-24. Can you point me in the direction of that one?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

14-42...that's why I couldn't find it ;)

edit:

ok so this is pretty dam cool. So this + the 20mm pancake would be pretty awesome on a m4/3 camera.

hmmm.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 1, 2011

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

Not only is the X100 significantly smaller than a rebel, like ludicrously so, but the viewfinder on the X100 is 5x nicer than the Rebels. It's literally as large and bright as the 5D viewfinder, instead of the dim tunnel you get on the rebel. (I know you were saying rebel as compared to the mirrorless interchangeable cameras though)

Yeah you can't change lenses, but you are essentially getting a 5D with 35mmL in performance and image quality and viewfinder size and build quality, but in a diminutive package.

I spent all day yesterday researching cameras. Ugh so much info. My final decision, at least for this minute, is to get the x100. Seems they hold their value really well and if it's not for me I can easily unload it.

Now to unload my canon gear!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shmoogy posted:

I wouldn't count on this for much longer. They're doing really well now because they aren't in stock anywhere, but once they are, I expect used ones to sell for 1000~ shortly after. Once the x200 comes in, the first generation will probably fall to 800ish.

Not bad, but bodies depreciate rather quickly compared to just lenses.

I don't expect it to take me that long to figure out if it's for me or not. Like, a week or 2 so, not too worried about the x200 which isn't even rumored yet to come out and drop the price. The X10 was just announced and I don't expect it to affect the X100's price at all.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I just hit the order button on amazon for a X100. It'll be here tomorrow.....so excited!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Wow, got my X100 today. I definitely need to sit and actually read through the manual before I even think of venturing out with this. So far I'm really like it though.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

titanium posted:

I suppose that makes sense, guess I'll just have to crop more often.

BTW this afternoon Amazon.com didn't have any but I checked now and it looks like 6 are in stock, drat I paid taxes. At least I got to help a local camera shop :unsmith:.

Are the lens hoods at a price they were meant to be or are they gouging right now?

I ordered this on monday and got it today

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330610959738?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1611wt_1114

fits perfect and looks like the original at a much much cheaper price. Not sure if I'll use the hood, mostly bought it for the ring adapter and threw the cheap filter on it for now.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

titanium posted:

Yeah this seems to be the much better alternative. Used it all day yesterday and the only complaint I really have is how slow it is, it takes like 3 mins to get a portrait shot of an animal you cant keep still. I suppose I could have set to MF and just gotten in range but it's quite a change from my D90. Overall I loving love it though, the iso performance, the lens sharpness, and just being able to carry it around without having it being intrusive is fantastic.

mattfl
Is that an aluminum one or is it just plastic?

Aluminum, which I was actually surprised about. Looks like a real Fuji accessory.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So one of my dogs destroyed my 18-55 lens on my NEX 5N. Replacements seem fairly cheap on ebay, around $100 or so for a new one. Is this still the best general use lens for the NEX system? I've really had no problems with the lens and it's done everything I've wanted it to and takes great pictures. I haven't paid attention to the NEX system since I bought it and was just wondering if there's anything else I should look at for a general everyday usage type lens.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Huxley posted:

The new bodies come with a 16-50mm as their kit lens instead. It's about half the depth of the 18-55 and looks like it runs around $180-200 on Amazon (used). It has some more motorized functions on the lens than the 18-55, so you might want to go by a store and fiddle with it on the display models, but people seem to like it pretty well for a kit. It's definitely shorter than the old kit.

I've also read some stuff about it having worse distortion. Apparently the JPEG process fixes it, but the viewfinder on older models doesn't translate the crop correctly, meaning you'll see more photo on the screen than you'll actually get out of the JPEG processing. I'm not sure which 5x models are affected, but I know all the 3s newer than the C3 apparently translated correctly to the viewscreen.

E: Here's the link to the blog post on that issue.

http://camerahoarders.com/sony-e-pz-16-50mm-lens-review-update/

Apparently it's still only a persistent problem on the 5, 3, and C3.

E2: And here's the camerasize link to the 5n with the 18-55 and the 16-50. That site's so cool.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#34.360,34.88,ha,t

Oh awesome thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Still rocking my NEX-5N. In fact I'm finally getting around to replacing my 18-50 that my dog ate months ago. Scored the 16-50 lens on ebay today for $130.