Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Rontalvos posted:

Afaik you can mount any lens on any compact system with the proper adapter. Aperture control is another matter entirely though.

There are Nikon G to micro 4/3 adapters on ebay but I think they just use the physical lever that holds the aperture open when the lens is mounted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
I think it makes sense if you think of size in terms of "put it in a ________ and forget about it". A P&S fits in a pants pocket, a NEX with pancake might need a shirt or jacket pocket, but add an 18-55 and you need to make specific accommodation to carry it.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
So focus peaking should work with a manual lens when it's stopped down too, right? Finally an easy to read DOF preview!

Now I just need to buy a NEX :(

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

Canon's new camera system will be a camera the size of a Speed Graphic with a sensor the size of a pinhead.

How many pixels can dance on the head of a pin?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

poopinmymouth posted:

So it's bigger, has a smaller sensor, and costs more.

Just like Micro 4/3 when the NEX came out. What the hell is up with mirrorless cameras :psyduck:

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Are you trying to argue that less choice is a good thing?

It does tend to result in greater satisfaction. It doesn't matter if there are 5 or 50 or 500 options if you can't pick out the one that's best for you

Of course once you know what you want and can eliminate the extra 495 choices yourself it's better to have them, but people who can do that aren't the target market for this stuff.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

FasterThanLight posted:

edit: Also, I finally updated the firmware on my NEX-3. The focus peaking thing is amazing. Autofocus is now obsolete (I'm half serious here, getting correct focus on exactly what you want seems just as quick to me as cycling through AF points).

Amazon has the NEX-3 + 16mm kit for $399, I'm like 75% decided on buying one by the end of the month. Focus peaking was the thing that got me over the "no drat buttons" hump with the NEX design, since manual lenses will let me control aperture directly anyway.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Well I just went ahead and ordered a NEX-3 from Amazon, 18-55 kit plus a free 16mm. Any recommendations for cheap adapters (Nikon F-mount or Minolta SR/MC/MD) or are they mostly interchangeable at the $30 price point?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'd like to add the caveat that the eBay adapters can be a real crapshoot with quality.

I was planning to buy through Amazon since they seem to have a few distinct brands, although there aren't tons of reviews so it might be the same inconsistent stuff as on ebay. My local store has some Promaster adapters listed on their website at $80, which sounds like it might be worth the extra money for the chance to handle it in person first (and the ability to return it/complain in person if it breaks).

Also turns out my local store has a sale this weekend that includes a pretty decent deal on the NEX-5n so I might return the NEX-3 and get that instead.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Bob Socko posted:

so I pulled the trigger on the NEX-5N two-lens kit today. If you have your heart set on a NEX-5N, you might want to start looking sooner as opposed to later.

I just ordered one from my local store, won't get it until Monday.

Thinking about ordering an adapter tonight so I can stick this on it ASAP

Untitled by patnumber8, on Flickr

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Skam posted:

I am aware that i would lose auto focusing but i am a bit confused about the loss of aperture control, does this mean it would be at f1.8 the whole time, or is there a way to adjust it from the lens?

If the lens has an aperture ring it will work fine with the adapter. There are also adapters that work with G lenses (no aperture ring), but it wouldn't make much sense to buy a G lens just to use on an adapter.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Is the regular 5 much cheaper than the 5n? I just got a 5n and it seemed like there were great deals on the 3, and pretty good deals on the 5n, with the 5 being close to the 3 in performance and close to the 5n in price.

Maybe that's only if you get the 16mm though, I wasn't looking for the 18-55 alone.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

I can't seem to find a way to assign a button to change the drive mode. Any other NEX owners out there that mighy have any insight on that?

Press left on the wheel.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Yuns posted:

Also sonyalpharumors says Sony has greenlighted a NEX like camera with a full frame sensor, a hybrid alpha mount that also takes e mount lenses

There are so many things wrong with that.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Nerf Herder posted:

Hey guys, I just got a NEX 5k with the 18-55mm lens. I'm looking around for a couple of good in expensive lenses. I know that this means no auto focus.

I've seen the Canon FD 50/1.8 SC for about $50 and I love the Idea of a 50mm lens. But do you guys have any other recommendations?

Minolta 50/1.7, $20 on keh.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

RustedChrome posted:

a "better than full frame" sensor

So the camera is like a foot wide?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

I was just thinking randomly about lenses when I thought that no one has made a mirrorless tilt lens. Surely it wouldn't be that difficult for Sony to take something like an Alpha mount 28mm f/2.8 and build a tilt NEX mount on it? I mean I know you can do it easily with manual lenses and adapters, but what about something official?

How many tilt/shift lenses are there for the established systems? It's probably not a big enough market to justify any real first-party investment.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

This would be more of a toy thing though. Tilt/shift lenses on other systems are for pro use, this would be more like tilt for the masses.

At the low end you probably get a lot of people who are happy faking it in camera.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Can't you get a used M8 for that?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I think pinholes are ultra-wide by default. Or at least, I don't think I've ever seen a pinhole shot that wasn't very wide angle.

With pinholes the focal length is just the distance from the hole to the film/sensor, so you can technically have any length you want to attach to the front of your camera. The lack of sharpness and tiny aperture mean wide angles are probably the only ones that give interesting images most of the time.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

The key is to get to know your lenses. Different lenses have different swing arcs in different directions and with different friction.

This is so much fun going between a non-AI Nikon lens and a super smooth Minolta. Wrong direction, wrong friction/feel, wrong throw. At least the aperture rings go the same way.

Regarding adapters, I think the difference between the $30 or less ones and the ~$60 can be pretty substantial. Things like incorrect infinity focus, the tripod mount having screws that go all the way through the body, and how well everything fits together when mounting or unmounting. At least, that's true for the two I have, a no-brand Nikon G and a Fotodiox Pro Minolta MD.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

whatever7 posted:

The most important thing is the fake winder lever like that Epson camera.

The lever cocks the shutter.

Now add the crank from that educational DIY camera, and get a fully mechanical digital rangefinder.

Costello Jello posted:

More rumor-mongering:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/olympus-eyeing-partnership-with-sony/

This rumor says that Olympus is eying ties with Sony, with a possibility that Sony could make image sensors for Olympus in return for access to IP, etc. from Olympus' endoscopy and microscopy business. This is a rumor I REALLY want to be true. A camera system with an 4/3 image sensor designed by Sony and m4/3 lenses would be the perfect mirrorless system.

If wikipedia's list of sensor areas and my math are right, a 5N sensor cut down to M4/3 size would still be almost 10mp.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Costello Jello posted:

I kind of like it, but I'm pretending it costs $499 and works underwater.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

I think it's fine if it's m43. The sensor technology has come along enough that 1600 or 3200 is okay. If Olympus can bring out some nice primes to compete with the likes of the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, it'll make for a nice package and lessen the need to go to high ISOs. I think they've got the styling right, based on the classics but with modern sensibilities. I also like the built-in EVF because it makes the feel and functionality more like a film SLR.

They should make a 29 f/1.2 or something for the kit lens, go classic style all the way.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Bob Socko posted:

I wish someone would release a modern f/1.2 lens, I'm curious if the technology has come far enough along to make it reasonably sharp wide open. I know Sony recently released a patent for a new 50mm f/1.2 design, who knows if it will ever make it to production.

There's the new SLR Magic Hyperprime coming out later this year, if you have $15k to spend on one camera + lens. There are a few more articles there about it with more/better sample pictures too.

I'd like to see what the other end of the price/quality scale could look like for faster lenses with modern manufacturing too, like if they set a 50/1.4 from 1960 as their performance goal, how cheaply could they build it (with autofocus and whatever other electronic stuff, or not).

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Was this posted already? Olympus demonstrating the weather sealing of the E-M5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhO9YDI8cHk

Why is the bucket clear and already full of water if they're not going to submerge the camera in it? They even put the camera precariously on the edge of the bucket at the end and totally fail to "accidentally" knock it in.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
I wish they specified anything on the large aperture standard. Does large aperture mean 1.8 or 1.4, are they targeting a price point or "it costs what it costs", will it be smaller than the kit lens? Same for the "snap (pancake)", is that a pancake for snapshots?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Another advantage would be that you could feel the focus cam on rangefinder lenses, and do things like drawing a line of the actual plane of focus on the screen instead of focus peaking (which I'm guessing doesn't work that well stopped down).

Wouldn't that require figuring out the distance of every point in the image (at least per pixel on the EVF) to compare to the lens' distance setting? I think focus peaking just detects contrast so stopping down shouldn't be a problem on its own, as long as it doesn't push the ISO high enough that noise starts to blur things or introduce significant diffraction.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

JJC has a NEX to cold shoe adapter out now, the MSA-6. It's around $18. You can find it in the usual places for such things.

I'll finally be able to use my Lomo Fisheye 2 viewfinder on my NEX!

I don't suppose you've seen it anywhere with a better shipping time (to the US) than 3+ weeks?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

DoktorLoken posted:

Ok, so, I'm intrigued by the prospect of using vintage manual focus lenses on my new NEX. It seems relatively cheap and awesome.

Since I'm new to this whole game and on a limited budget, I'm bidding on a 50mm 1.7 Minolta MC Rokkor which I should hopefully score for $15 or so plus another $20 for an adapter (unless there is a cheaper Minolta->E Mount ring).

Is there a convenient list of vintage lenses that I should look out for on my camera?

Nope that's basically the best lens, anything wider will be f/2.8 or slower or significantly more expensive and anything longer will be awkward on a NEX.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Counterpoint: Samyang 35mm f/1.4, in Nikon or Pentax mount. Then you can also buy a Pentax MX or a Nikon FM2 and get semiwide goodness in addition to a fast normal lens. It's about $500 but if manual focus is your thing it actually beats the Nikon and Canon competitors.

Yeah, that counts as "significantly more expensive". No need to encourage gear lust, it will happen on its own soon enough.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

JJC has a NEX to cold shoe adapter out now, the MSA-6. It's around $18. You can find it in the usual places for such things.

Hooray

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

moonduck posted:

Olympus claims that the AF on the OM-D is one of the fastest on the market. And if this video is any indicator, they're probably correct in that.

Keep in mind that's in single AF, I don't know about the OM-D's performance specifically but for contrast-detect AF in general continuous is supposed to be significantly worse.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
I've been thinking of picking up the SLR Magic 28/2.8 even though it's all manual, since at least it's actually NEX-sized unlike anything on an adapter.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Bob Socko posted:

I know Sigma has 19mm and 30mm f/2.8 NEX lenses coming out very soon, assuming they aren't already available. I saw some sample images from the 30mm f/2.8 and it looked really nice.

I had written off the 30mm because of the aperture, but it looks like it makes up for it with corner sharpness all the way to 2.8. Guess I'll have to give it a shot whenever my local store gets a copy.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

king of lunch posted:

Is there a preferred Nikon F to m4/3 adapter? I just ordered a GH2 to shoot video, and want to use some of my old Nikon primes. Are my only options the $200 Novoflex or the Chinese cheapies?

I have a Fotodiox Pro Minolta MD to NEX adapter that's pretty solid, definitely better than the cheap one I have for Nikon G lenses. I think the Fotodiox was around $60 on amazon, less than $100 anyway.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HeyEng posted:

Yea, that's right. So imagine Sony working on three lines of lenses. It'd be forever for their full frame mirrorless to be viable outside of a competent body.

Just skip the mount altogether (well, anything more than the minimum to attach an adapter to) because most people will be buying it to adapt old manual lenses anyway.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Stopped at the store on the way home to play with a Sigma 30/2.8 for NEX, was smaller than I expected from comparison shots with the kit zoom and 16mm. AF felt snappier than the zoom, and the focus ring was nice (for focus-by-wire anyway).

I was hoping there would be something significantly wrong with it so I wouldn't want to buy one already :(

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Lensrentals tested some lenses on a NEX-7

code:
MTF-50                  max     avg
Sony 16mm f/2.8	        665 	490
Sony 24mm f/1.8	        475 	450
Sigma 30mm f/2.8	985	805
Granted, it almost catches up by f/2.8, so I guess the extra $800 is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Local store had a sale so I got a Sigma 30/2.8 for my 5N. Has a lot of rattles but everything else is great.