Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

mattfl posted:

I just hit the order button on amazon for a X100. It'll be here tomorrow.....so excited!

Congrats! If you want to read my review, I describe how I shoot with it: http://myx100year.blogspot.com/2011/04/my-x100-review.html

tl;dr
auto-ISO
Aperture priority
M-focus mode with the AFL button set to focus only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

HPL posted:

You're talking about the 10-100. I'm talking about the 30-110, which is much smaller.

NIKKOR VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6
Weight Approx. 180g/6.3oz
Dia. x length Approx. 60 x 61mm

m4/3 40-150mm F4.0-5.6
Weight = 220g / 7.8 oz.
Dimensions = 65.5 x 72mm / 2.58 x 2.83 in.

Those seem awfully close to me.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Shmoogy posted:

My thoughts exactly, but then there are sites like this that say the Nikon one is better than the Nex5n (which is a beast)

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/42175/nikon-v1-vs-sony-nex-5n

I disagree with them.

These kind of sites are worthless. I saw a similar one that scored the S90 better than the X100 which is laughable unless your sole metric is size.

Lol, they give the score to the Nikon because of the on board processor (ultra lol!) and the fact that with adaptor, the Nikon can take legacy lenses. totally forgetting that with the 2.7 crop, that makes it completely worthless for all but birding hobbyists. the Nex adaptor will actually be useful since it's only the same 1.5 crop all aps-c users are used to.

What a lovely lovely comparison that shows exactly how little the author knows about actual photography.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 22, 2011

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

unixbeard posted:

What is the difference between 10mm at 2.7x vs say 17mm at 1.6x?

The point is that they were saying while both Nex and N1 have adaptors for the "full size" lenses of the manufacturers, that Nikon has way more full size lenses than sony does. That forgets the point that all of sony's lenses are pretty useable focal lengths with the Next adaptor, whereas most of Nikon's become telescopes.

Obviously the normal system lenses work out alright, but when you limit it to that, the Nex and N1 have pretty much the same lens lineup.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

titanium posted:

I suppose that makes sense, guess I'll just have to crop more often.

BTW this afternoon Amazon.com didn't have any but I checked now and it looks like 6 are in stock, drat I paid taxes. At least I got to help a local camera shop :unsmith:.

Are the lens hoods at a price they were meant to be or are they gouging right now?

You can get a 10 dollar knockoff hood on ebay with the filter adaptor.

That said, I don't own one. I don't use hoods for any of my lenses ever. I just feel like they are a big pain in the rear end, and I just cup my hand over the lens when I am annoyed by flare.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Shmoogy posted:

The x100 is amazing but the focus issues really bother me sometimes. I can avoid parallax errors but my girlfriend misses focus a lot with it, as do most waiters we give the camera to and ask for a picture to be taken.

Do what I do. Move the AF to the back button (do this anyway, it's better). Focus on the water first, then hand it to them, they are the same distance away and can just click. :-)

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

daspope posted:

Can you edit the x100's raw files in LR yet?

Yes, for a long time now. There was only about a one month delay from launch.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

daspope posted:

Has anyone heard anything in regards to the viewfinder of the x100 vs the nex7? I am aware the nex will only have a EVF. I am more interested in the quality of looking through it for the photographer. I am aware the NEX7 is not out, but I am being impatient.

The X100 EVF is only 1.something million dots, whereas the Nex7 one is 2.4 million, which is bound to look nicer.

But I am not sure of physical size. The X100 OVF is huge, same size as a 5D, so it's possible the EVF is larger physically, but I just don't know.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Mest0r posted:

The leaked Fuji stuff looks pretty exciting, I'm not really tempted to sell my X100 in anticipation, but I'm looking forward to the iterations that will follow.

Notice how a 35mm equivalent is absent? They have a 28, a 50, and a 90mm. The thing is, if the LX is amazing, I'd want to sell the X100 and get just the LX with a 35-e and the 90-e, I don't want to carry two cameras. I really hope the lenses are really pancake sized.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

krackmonkey posted:

DxO scores don't hang in galleries or get magazine covers. Some of the best photos I've ever seen bear no reflection whatsoever on the DxO marks or megapickle count of the tool that took them. This isn't some math where you add up the numbers and the higher result is somehow superior, it's all what you can do with the tools you have at hand.

I've seen people make incredible things happen with their cell phones and I've seen folks with 15 grand worth of Leica system produce utter poo poo. People who hang up on the gear numbers and system superiority wars spend too much time behind their keyboards and not enough time behind their cameras (myself included).

Wasn't the original point of accepting the m4/3 compromise in image quality the small size factor? If the nikon is both smaller and with better dynamic range and lower noise, um...

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

HPL posted:

I would be jealous, but there's no way in hell I could afford one anyway.

Supposed 1,300 USD price for the kit with the 50mm equiv 1.4 and 600 a pop for the other two lenses. That's quite reasonable imo.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Pockyless posted:

Is it wrong that I am thinking about buying this and keeping an x100 just because of the 35mm equiv.?

The thing is, I like the non removable lens. It keeps me light, and focused more on taking photos than gear. I'm actually not really tempted by this new camera. I have my 5D, 28/35/50/85mm lenses when I need to change focal lengths, but since getting the X100, I've pulled it out only one time for a portrait session with a friend's kid.

It does look like a fantastic camera though. I wish the portrait lens was a pancake too.

To elaborate further, the number one benefit of the x100 for me is that it's small and self contained with nothing else to worry about. That is what makes me sling it over my shoulder every day, and always have it near at hand. Even a 2nd small pancake lens destroys this feature. This new camera will probably be great, but it's a different type of camera, even if it's similarly sized and styled.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 5, 2012

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

HPL posted:

The new Canon G1X is out. Imagine a G12 with a sensor almost as large as an APS-C sensor. I think it's cool except for the lens. 28-112mm F2.8-5.8 isn't terribly impressive. I think they should have either gone for a fast pancake prime like the X100 or an f/2-2.8 type of zoom like the X10.

As it is, given the (probably) better high ISO performance of the G1X compared to the X10, it'll probably put a big dent in X10 sales if not push it out of the market. If Canon wanted to get really sassy, they could come out with an interchangeable G1X system later with pancake primes. If they hadn't already come out with the Canon 7D, I'd say revive the old Canon 7-series with this new system.

I was intrigued till I read that the sensor size is gutted by the way slower lens, and at the long end, wide open, the slower lens ends up with the same DoF as on the X10 because of it's much faster lens speed. Not to mention that the VF on the G1X still looks like unuseable poo poo compared to the nice large bright one of the X10

Unless the G1X sensor is revolutionary with noise, I'd still pick the X10 over it.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

whatever7 posted:

I don't know about that. If you do the math, G1X still has noticable better DOF control and low light performance than the X10.

Now id you prefer Fuji color is a different story.

DPreview claims they did the math and where I got the quote from. F5.8 on a 4/3s sized sensor is about what the X10 at 2.8 is.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

whatever7 posted:

Why the hell did they convert it to m43. It should have converted to FF.

So G1X at wide end has about 1 step better DOF than X1 ,
at tele end has about the same DOF control.

Yeah about that, plus at the long end, it's lower noise is probably negated. X10 can use ISO 800 at f/2.8 where the GX1 would need ISO 3200ish to expose correctly at f/5.8

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Boner dissipating at the expected 1700USD price for body only.

1700 is absolutely in line with the market's offerings plus inflation and dollar devaluation. Seriously everyone said 1300 was too expensive for the X100 but enough people bought it anyway.

I mean, sure I'd love a 1,500 kit with the 50mm equiv, but this is basically a Leica M9 at 1/7 the cost.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Actually now that i think about it. I might sell my 5D, 35L and 85mm in order to get the Xpro1 with 35 and 60mm lenses. I bet the noise/dynamic range/resolution on the Xpro1 will match or beat the 5D with way smaller size.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

keyframe posted:

Yea the EVF of the x100 was atrocious. I am hoping they improved on it somewhat with this one.

The EVF is not atrocious, don't exaggerate.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

moonduck posted:

So apparently the XF lenses coming out later this year will be a 14mm f/2.8 and a 18-72 f/4 IS and in 2013 we're looking at the expected 23 f/2, along with a 28 f/2.8, 72-200 f/4 IS, and a 12-24 f/4 IS. Not sure why that last one needs IS, but whatever.

So that would make the whole system equivalent: a 21mm, 27mm, 35mm, 42mm, 53mm, 90mm along with a 27-108mm, a 108-300mm, and a 18-36mm.

Plus keep in mind they are doing a first party M to X adaptor (leica) as well as one of the other mods over at the X100 forum is already working with a company to do direct Contax G conversions so you can convert Contax G lenses to X mount.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

keyframe posted:

Welp... :smith:

http://www.prophotocoalition.com/index.php/dcarr/story/hands_on_impressions_of_the_fuji_x-pro_1

I can't loving believe fuji made the same mistake twice.

Booo. The X100 AF doesn't bother me often, but it's obviously not a very good AF solution. They absolutely should have addressed both the focus by wire and AF speed for a system camera at this price tag.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

HPL posted:

This would be more of a toy thing though. Tilt/shift lenses on other systems are for pro use, this would be more like tilt for the masses.

There is a Nex Tilt adaptor on the Rugift.com website: http://rugift.com/canon-eos-sony-nex-tilt.htm

They have for nikon and minolta too. 8 degrees of tilt

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

That 70s Shirt posted:

I understand this is the internet and that the problematic cameras are being talked about far more than the non-problematic ones. But if it's true that Fuji has been telling people there's a solution when there's not, then that's pretty messed up.

It's not as big a problem as you think, and you're right, there is no other camera like the x100.

Buy it in a way you have warranty coverage, and just send it in if you get the SAB problem. I've had mine since launch (over 7 months now) and it works great with no aperture blade problems. Which is good since I'm unsure if mine would be covered, the way I bought it. (NZ camera, living in Iceland)

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

HPL posted:

I doubt anyone is going to release an open software camera. It's not good for business if people can hack in new features as opposed to buying another camera. Mirrorless is just the next thing like how SLRs were the next thing after rangefinders.

My husband has done some firmware programming before, and is just a very good all around programmer. I keep telling him if he could hack the 5D firmware or X100, and started offering really fine control of a bunch of stuff, he could get donations out the wazoo, but he's never convinced.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

keyframe posted:

Yea the M8 is not full frame.

Pretty sure it's APS-H, which is only 1.3 crop.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

It truly is hideous

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

HPL posted:

Noise-wise, the NEX 5N and the XP1 are basically identical. The main difference is that the 5N is using the cheap kit lens as opposed to a $500 prime.

Why would the lens have any bearing on noise?

*edit* I see that might be why the image looks so much less sharp, but noise wise alone I still think the XP1 beats it.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 4, 2012

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Brick Card posted:

There's a site with a full photo of the Olympus O-MD E-5M with battery grip. Looking pretty handsome!

http://www.dslrpassion.com/rumors/72-olympus/254-olympus-e-m5-full-size-photos-with-external-battery-grip.html

It might be just me, but I think it looks kind of ugly. Not as bad as the pentax, but nothing droolworthy either. I think the Nex7 looks nicer, the XP1 far nicer, but of all the new camera designs, the X100 is still king in terms of looks, imo.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

What is with the crazy high hotshoe mount and non-functional prism bump? Why? It just makes it bulky for no obvious reason.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Mr. Despair posted:

Doesn't it have an EVF though? It's a nice place to stick that without taking away room from the back lcd if nothing else.

The fake prism hump is fine, I'm wondering why the hotshoe then sticks up even further. It just looks like needlessly added height.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

There were plenty of automakers that didn't get bailed out because they (the unions) weren't poo poo, but I don't see what this has to do with anything.

lol, are you really trying to imply the problem was unions instead of horrendous management? Wow, just... wow.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

You will probably love it as well as occasionally become very frustrated with it.

Word of advice: do not use the Fuji supplied strap, not only is it a crap strap but the triangular things that clip into the ears are poorly designed and put a lot of wear on the ears. I use a Domke Gripper on mine (as well as on MY LEICAS) and can recommend it for something fantastically good yet not very expensive.

I really really love the plain fabric hamas strap, combined with the fuji leather case. The hamas strap is so light and thin, was quite cheap too.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

How is the Fuji case? Looks nice in pictures but is pretty expensive here. There are several cheaper alternatives like Zhou that look even nicer.

The thing is, I haven't tried any others, but I do love the fuji. Agust gave it to me for a present, so I didn't really do any shopping around. The thing I like is the top cover, as I actually use it to keep rain off and from it getting bumped around. It's held up really well and been rained on and even covered in flour and other bakery stuff when I was using it to photograph my bakery items. If I had a chance to play with multiple full cases I might like another one better, but no real complaints about this one other than having to remove it to take out the battery or plug in the usb cable.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

You X100 owners out there, do you shoot jpeg or raw? Been a raw shooter with all my Canon gear, but I have to say that I am so pleased with the jpeg output of the X100 (especially in the extended dynamic range modes) that I think I will keep using it unless I really feel the need to do anything else... and the film modes are pretty nifty. "Velvia" really shines:

I shoot raw, and while most of my images don't end up being massaged too much further than the jpegs would go, the ones I've printed I am super ultra glad I kept the raw on as I did some really solid tweaks that would have probably broken a jpeg.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

HPL posted:

Welcome to pretty much every camera with Auto ISO ever.

Odd, the X100 doesn't do that at all. I tries to keep to the minimum shutter speed you specified, only bumping up the ISO when it would have to go below that speed.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

This is why I love the X100. No bag needed cause you ain't changing lenses. :-)

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Fiannaiocht posted:

Has it been explicitly said that the X100 won't get the new firmware? All I want is that and a telephoto adapter.

I'll be happy with just the telephoto adaptor.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Ufff, close call. I got one of the very first X100s, from before the earthquake, so it is getting old, totally out of warranty, and I bought it from NZ but live in Iceland anyway. The viewfinder shutter just stopped working for no good reason. No drops, nothing crazy happened at all to explain it. When the EVF came on, I got a weird ghosting where anything bright would show through since the shutter didnīt come up. I am one week away from a trip to Italy, so no way I am going to try to get it repaired before then.

Then, I had it on the table to take photos of thanksgiving dinner, and my dog managed to pull it off the table with his tail tangled in the strap (he was on my lap). It was in the leather case, and took a tumble on the floor. Luckily the leather case seems to offer a ton of protection, but I picked it up immediately to make sure it still worked. Lo and behold, the shutter is unstuck now and all works perfectly. Thanks doggy! Not sure I would have had the guts to drop it myself.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Helicity posted:

I knew 19 responses since last night meant big news, and I was kind of dreading/anticipating X200 announcements. Time to think about selling the X100 I guess.

Why? I will certainly look at an x200, but I think it was one of the photo mods here who said once, 'your current camera doesnīt stop working or start taking worse photos when the version 2 comes out'.

I still have a 5D original. I will keep shooting with my x100 for a while, most likely till it breaks. It does everything I need. What I really hope is that the X200 or whatever they call it takes the same sized filters and they finally release a 2x converter for the x100 and it.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Helicity posted:

I completely get what you're saying, and I think the X100 will be a fantastic camera for quite some time. Things like a 4MP-larger X-Trans sensor and the X-Pro-1 buttons/dials would be worth the few extra hundred dollars to me, however. I wasn't planning on upgrading, and you're right that the X100 still works - which is why I've kind of been hoping that they wouldn't announce an X200 to tempt me.

I'm assuming it would keep the same 49mm filter size, since it seems to be a popular size for the 35mm cameras. Maybe we should start emailing Fuji about a 2x converter since everyone seems to agree that it would be awesome.

Do you print? (if not, you should start)

Whenever I have even an inkling of temptation for something else photo related, not happened much recently since the x100, but back when I was shooting with my 5D, I would remind myself just how many prints I could buy for the cost of whatever item I was thinking about. I personally would vastly prefer more prints on my wall than a small upgrade. The sizes I print the X100 works great.

I think I read on TOP (the online photographer, best blog) that you need at least a 2x increase to notice any difference, so just 4 mp extra will not make any difference, especially in prints or web res jpegs. One could probably notice a difference between shots from the x100 vs the Sony full frame, because not only is it a 2x megapixel increase, but also the sensor itself is larger. Even then, I would love to see the same print made from both to see just how big an increase is present. zoomed in to 100% on some test shot shows you literally nothing unless oneīs hobby is being a gear-pig instead of taking photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Helicity posted:

I do print, but I haven't much from the X100. What sizes do you print at? I've been trying to fill a frame above my living room couch by stitching three portraits together and the math works out to be something like 170ppi, which I've never printed at before.

From a single frame, the size I like best is a 16x16 inch (40x40cm) square on 240g lustre paper which I frame behind glass. I do have one canvas print that was 3 images stitched together, and it is 180x45cm (71x18 inches) that looks gorgeous, tons of detail. I havenīt yet gotten a large canvas print from a single X100 image, but I have several from my original 5D which is basically the same resolution.

Some of my square images have been cropped, others are just the center most square, but I cannot say I feel I would have ever noticed an extra 4 megapixels.