Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
nothing to see here

moonduck fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
nothing to see here

moonduck fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 26, 2011

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
If the Fuji LX lives up to my considerable expectations, I'd probably dump my Canon gear to get it.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

whatever7 posted:

m4/3 is not an ambitious system. I don't know why people invest in it.

Because it is a tool that offers a considerable treaty of size and image quality and it managed to raise the bar considerably for what small cameras can do with regards to flexibility and quality. Sony and Fuji may be the driving forces of the mirrorless market moving forward (for good reasons outside of just sensor size), but to act like micro 4/3rds doesn't have good cameras and good glass out there is silly.

Ambition shouldn't dwell on gear, it should reserved for actual photography.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

RustedChrome posted:

I think the pics are just well done mockups. I look forward to finding out on Monday in any case!

The first is a mock-up, the second seems to be an intentional leak from Fuji.

I'm very interested in seeing what Fuji brings to the table. I really like a lot about what Sony is doing and the talk of a FF mirrorless from them being announced later this year would be really amazing, but you would expect as good or better sensor quality from Fuji and better/smaller prime lens selection out of the gate.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

HPL posted:

I'm highly skeptical about a FF mirrorless from Sony because it would throw their NEX lens line into chaos. You would need an entirely new mount for FF NEX and to have three different mounts for one company is madness. If Sony can come out with a good lineup of lenses in the next year and sensor improvements, the move to FF will be moot. At this point, aside from dick waving, is there really a point in making a FF mirrorless if you can get fantastic performance out of an APS-C sensor?

The rumor I saw was that Sony was seeking to make a camera with a FF sensor and a hybrid mount system that could take both E-mount and A-mount lenses (it wouldn't be branded as an NEX camera). How Sony aimed to do this, considering that the two systems rely on different AF systems (one requiring a pellical mirror) and vastly different flange distances, I can't say. I can say that being able to adapt legacy rangefinder lenses onto a good mirrorless camera with a EVF and focus peaking is pretty much the dream.

If you're only intending to use first party lenses, I would be more inclined to agree that FF makes less sense. That said, I have too much older M-mount glass to not dream of a day when my 21mm Super-Angulon could be a true 21 on a digital camera that doesn't cost 6K+.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

HPL posted:

Unless Sony starts making rangefinder lenses, I don't see what upside there is to Sony making a FF DSLR with a NEX mount, especially considering the logistics in making a NEX mount with 18mm work with a 44.5mm Alpha mount.

I was as surprised to hear it as anyone else, but the smoke was pretty thick around the idea.

All we can do is wait and see.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Uncle Ivan posted:

The X100 viewfinder is good and I like the hybrid technology however we'll have to wait to see how it will work with interchangeable lenses and zooming/etc.

Much the same way it works for any classic rangefinder, except this one won't be bound to it's widest lens quite the same way. It'll have two magnifications, one with about a 27mm perspective and at about 50 (they'll actually be slightly wider, with frame lines drawn within, close to the borders). With anything more telephoto than 50, framelines will draw down to give you accurate framing. I imagine the same deal goes for anything from 27-49. I would expect that once they introduce zoom lenses to the system (in 2013), you'll see dynamically moving frame lines as you change the focal length. You can switch between the two magnifications manually and can also enter in a series of third party lenses and their focal lengths, tell the camera which one is currently attached, and it'll give you the right framelines.

My only disappointment with this camera is the EVF resolution, which doesn't really come close to what Sony is offering with the Nex-7 and 5n. Considering Fuji themselves are making an M-Mount adapter for the X-Pro, they know a huge draw of the camera is adapting manual focus lenses and while you'll be able to see framelines in the OVF with third-party lenses, users will have to use the EVF to get proper focus.

That said, if you're staying entirely within the Fujinon lens system, things looks great. Focusing by wire is lame, but it's totally the way mirrorless is going. An 18mm, 35mm, 60mm, as well as future 14mm, some sort of telephoto, and at least a couple decent zoom lenses (Fuji said there are 9 more lenses coming, which is pretty stunning) is an incredibly attractive proposition from a lens maker like Fuji. They've just announced their flagship.

Unless a FF is coming (please).

moonduck fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 10, 2012

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
^^
We now have two big players in the mirrorless APS-C camera game and they've already expanded somewhat into that undefined space in very interesting and innovative ways. They should spur each other on quite well.

Here's hoping Sony gets their lens act together, because they're going to have to go a long way to keep up with what should be expected from Fuji.

poopinmymouth posted:

The EVF is not atrocious, don't exaggerate.

On the scale of EVFs out there, it's about average. The problem is that until very recently, EVFs have been a pretty awful way of framing your photos. Maybe Fuji has found a decent compromise with their new EVF, but the resolution numbers (1.4 million dots from what I read) aren't all that great.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
So apparently the XF lenses coming out later this year will be a 14mm f/2.8 and a 18-72 f/4 IS and in 2013 we're looking at the expected 23 f/2, along with a 28 f/2.8, 72-200 f/4 IS, and a 12-24 f/4 IS. Not sure why that last one needs IS, but whatever.

So that would make the whole system equivalent: a 21mm, 27mm, 35mm, 42mm, 53mm, 90mm along with a 27-108mm, a 108-300mm, and a 18-36mm.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
The X-Pro1 is being listed for pre-order in the UK for 1,079 pounds, but that's with the 35 1.4. The direct translation is 1300 euros or $1700. That's a lot more tolerable. Maybe we'll see the body for as cheap as $1200.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Who in the UK has it for preorder?

http://www.expansys-usa.com/fujifilm-x-pro1+35mm-f-1-4-227647/

quote:

Why would you want to mount NEX lenses anyways?

People are saying that they would want to adapt Fuji lenses to the NEX. That said, how do adapting fly-by-wire lenses work out considering that neither the aperture ring or focus ring do anything when not hooked up the X-Pro?

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

keyframe posted:

Does the nex 5 and nex 7 have the same oled viewfinder? I want to try them out at a photography store but all they have is nex 5 around here.

Yeah, the auxiliary one for the 5n the same as the one built into the 7.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Slimchandi posted:

So a free X100 coming my way! Only thing is I don't really know much about photography, starting to learn about A and S modes through websites and youtube but really just dancing on the fringes. Can I learn these things with an X100 or am I just making life really hard for myself?

The X100 layout is actually really similar to how a lot of older film cameras handled exposure with regards to manual and automatic settings, making it (in my opinion) one of the better digital cameras to learn the concepts of photography. You got really lucky, congrats.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

HPL posted:

It's a shame because Pentax could have had a total slam dunk by walking into the designer's office, dropping an MX on the desk and telling him to make a digital version of it.

Basically this.

In general, I applaud camera producers looking forward with mirrorless cameras rather than back, and for that reason I still think that the NEX-7 design is more interesting that the X-Pro1 and what the OM-D is being described as, but the Pentax looks horrible.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
I think the NEX system is still pretty clearly the best platform for adapting manual lenses due to focus peaking and that great OLED finder (for the 5n and 7, anyway). Unless Fuji does something really clever with their M-mount adapter, the X-mount system appears like it's going to be most useful if you're willing to dish out for 1st party lenses.

Still, Sony is going to have to produce a lot more in the lens department. You can't release a camera like the NEX-7 and then have one lens (that costs almost as much as the camera) that can really take advantage of it. A Zeiss (or G, whatever that is) zoom lens will be nice, but I imagine it will also be quite big for what is thought of as a compact system and Sony's other efforts have been mediocre at best so far.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Bob Socko posted:

G lenses are the Sony/Minolta designation for pro-quality, non-Zeiss lenses. Think of it as the Sony equivalent of Canon's L glass.

Thanks, I figured it had to be something like that. I still don't think Sony's roadmap is as aggressive as it needs to be.

keyframe posted:

Yea it is a ZE 50mm. It is smaller than the nex kitlens though, hardly anything big.

http://lenses.zeiss.com/photo/en_DE...0.function.html

Are you planning to still use the ZE on your Canon or are you making a full switch? If it's the latter, why not try to find a way to sell the ZE 50 and buy a ZM one. The adapter won't have to account for such a great flange distance difference and both ZM 50's are pretty great lenses (the f/1.5 Sonnar has quite a unique character and the f/2 is a brilliant performer.

edit - or have you not bought it yet?

moonduck fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 15, 2012

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

keyframe posted:

I don't have it yet. I was kinda wanting to go with the ZE one because I will most likely buy a 5dmk3 when it comes out and I will want to use it with that too.

Just keep in mind that almost any other 50mm Zeiss option is going to be cheaper than buying that EOS/NEX adapter along with a lens. I'd either go with the Nikon version and do that mount swap or just go with the cheapest route and get a C/Y version. All of them are going to be incredibly similar optically.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
It doesn't seem like any of the consumer mirrorless lens makers are particularly keen on making lenses that aren't fly-by-wire. I would imagine that implementing a mechanical rangefinder system when the lenses aren't themselves mechanical would quickly get complicated.

People quite regularly refer to cameras like the Contax G2 as a rangefinder, so I think that the XP-1 probably deserves to fall under that umbrella.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

ThisQuietReverie posted:

I'd love to see the entirety of Fuji's X series roadmap.

What's been floating around, it looks like a 14mm (either f/1.4 or 2.8, both have been rumored, the latter seems more likely) and an 18-72 f/4 IS this year, and then a 28 2.8 (likely a pancake), a 23 f/2 (likely similar optical design to the X100, obviously without the leaf shutter), a 72-200 f/4 IS, and a 12-24 f/4 IS in 2013.

moonduck fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 17, 2012

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Do it ironically posted:

I don't think it competes with Leica, unless you think it is aimed at people with an M8. I could see some Leica people buying one to compliment their Leicas, but if you own an M9 with more than 1 lens I don't think you'll take a second look. From what I understand with an M mount adaptor and M lens on the x-pro 1 the focusing is an issue, and there's no focus peaking function. I mean are we really thinking that a ~$1700 camera is supposed to compete with a ~$7500 one?

I don't think that's what he meant. I don't think people with an M9 or a big selection of M-mount glass will look at the Fuji as a great option (honestly, the NEX-7 and Ricoh's offerings are still better), but there's plenty of people who want a Leica-like camera without Leica-prices.

Granted, Leica sounds like they're going to come out with some sort of APS-C/H mirrorless sometime this year (perhaps with an R-mount instead of M), but there are lots of people who want a rangefinder-style without dishing out 5K for a body at 2K+ per lens.

And again, having to rely entirely on AF without a rangefinder patch never really held up the Contax G2 (which honestly looks and feels more like the inspiration to the XP-1 than any Leica does).

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Clayton Bigsby posted:

While I agree the Ricoh M-mount module is quite nice, the NEX-7 has been shown to have issues with wide angle rangefinder lenses. The NEX-5N does better in this regard.

Only with symmetrical lens designs, which to be fair, the M9 also has issues with. With any luck, in the future, Sony will tailor their microlens arrays to better handle light from extreme angles.

PaulMaudDib posted:

Oh hey I see Pentax and Leica are thinking along similar lines then. I guess we can look forward to not just one, but two DSLR sized mirrorless cameras. And no the X100 is not a rangefinder and the X1 is not a great system for rangefinder lenses for the above mentioned reasons.

Yeah, it'll be a shame if Leica decides that that R-mount needs a cheaper mirrorless solution but the M-mount doesn't, but I imagine they probably want to utilize that whole system of glass that's out there.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Paul MaudDib posted:

I hadn't heard this, why is the NEX-5 better than the NEX-7 with wideangle lenses? Are there microlens problems causing color fringing / color shifts / something? Also what's the advantage of the GXR in this case, I don't see how it gets you anything more than a NEX + adapter does?

From all I've read, it does have to do with the microlens array on that 16MP sensor. Speaking personally, considering the significantly better body on the NEX-7 and the small cost difference between the 5n and the 7 when you factor in the EVF cost is enough to put up with corner fix in the small instances where you'll be shooting with symmetrical wide angle lenses.

The GXR is lacking any sort of low-pass filter, which may be an advantage or not, depending on your perspective.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
After what Nikon turned out as their first foray into the mirrorless world, I think that assuming Canon is going to put out something that would challenge even the Rebel lineup is premature.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Mightaswell posted:

You mean the innovation of phase detect autofocus without a mirror of any sort? How about 1200fps shooting in video and 60fps stills? The V1 and J1 are fantastic cameras for what they are, and I would be thrilled if Canon even matches that. The future is mirrorless, without a doubt.

I mean how they created something that was obviously designed to in no way interfere with the sale of their low end DSLRs. I wasn't making a value judgement on the 1 series.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

joelcamefalling posted:

Also, instant 5x magnification of the selected focus point - even in OVF.

Wait, how is this possible?

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Bob Socko posted:

It's a proof of concept which makes me wonder if there are Konica AR or Leica M lenses which could see similar size savings to the point where they could arguably be called a pancake, even with an adapter.

What with all the very small rangefinder lenses out there, especially the collapsible ones, I'm willing to bet you could find something that would work as pancakes even without a mod.

moonduck fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 27, 2012

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Do you have any experience with pro DSLRs and therefore the ability to compare the AF speed between the two? Is the OM-D snappy enough to shoot, for instance, a soccer game at night?

Olympus claims that the AF on the OM-D is one of the fastest on the market. And if this video is any indicator, they're probably correct in that.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Are there any fast telephotos for m4:3 yet? Amazon's listings are all variable aperture f4-5.6 types from what I can see.

Olympus has a 4/3 35-100 f/2.8 that people rave about. It is, however, in the same cost stratosphere (or close to) as its 35mm equivalents from Canon and Nikon. And again, it's built for 4/3, not m4/3.

I do believe that Panasonic is releasing both a 12-35 f/2.8 and a 35-100 f/2.8 sometime this year. They announced them a few months ago, at any rate.

edit- they were announced as "concept lenses" and apparently the 2.8 aperture isn't set in stone.

moonduck fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 1, 2012

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Shmoogy posted:

Hah, you beat me to it. The Q really shows that we can push some crazy high MP cameras with current high end lenses.

Except that it looks like diffraction is setting in by f/8, which is really kind of awful.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
It's not inconceivable that we could see the AF speed of the XP-1 improve with just some firmware updates, like Fuji managed with the X100.

That said, the failure to make mechanical manual focus lenses which was then compounded by making some of the least usable focus-by-wire lenses on the market, if it's fixed at all, won't be until the next generation.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Paul MaudDib posted:

Actually most 28mm lenses are telephoto lenses, reverse telephotos. Otherwise they would never clear the SLR mirror. However, I do prefer the terms long/short lens to avoid this conversation.

:spergin:

The term is actually retrofocal.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
edit- ignore me!

moonduck fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 13, 2012

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

RustedChrome posted:

They ask why not a Leica M9 and he says that's just something for rich people to show off with. I love the M9 but he is mostly correct, Leica has gone after the "carriage trade" and left photo journalists behind.

While this is absolutely true, I would trust an M9P to hold together much better through really tough conditions than an X-Pro1. That said, not all war photographers put themselves into conditions that require that sort of robustness.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Helicity posted:

edit: before anyone chimes in, the M Zuiko 12mm looks nice, but isn't as wide as I'd like to go, and the price is a little steep.

But if you're shooting an APS-C camera, there is literally no lens that is wider/faster than a 24mm-equivalent at f/2. There is no format out there that'll present many options that are both wider and faster than that lens. In most cases, the best you can hope for is a little bit faster with the same FOV.

Granted, there isn't yet something like a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 for the m4/3 system, but I imagine the Panasonic 7-14 f/4 would suit most of your needs.

Honestly, when it comes to wide angle support, especially with regards to primes, the m4/3 system kicks the poo poo out of the APS-C market, since the vast majority of the available lenses for the latter are still being built to match 35mm focal lengths.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Bob Socko posted:

One nice upgrade for the NEX-F3 over the C3 - looks like it will support the optical viewfinder accessory. Nice to see Sony make that change, it seemed like a needless feature to strip out - don't you want as many customers as possible to buy accessories?

You mean the EVF, yeah? Or does Sony make an optical viewfinder?

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

HPL posted:

They have the optical viewfinder for the 16mm lens. It's just a viewfinder though, like you'd see on top of a rangefinder camera. Nothing electronic about it all.

Somehow supporting an entirely optical viewfinder doesn't seems like a tremendous victory.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Costello Jello posted:

I'm not sure that will ever happen. I think something about the flange distance and how the Sony sensors react to light coming in at angles is basically making it impossible to make a pancake lens with good optics for the NEX system.

If it was really feasible, a third party would have done it by now. But I think they haven't been able to make one that's worth shooting.

I don't think I entirely buy this. Yes, Sony's microlens arrays have struggled to produce great corner-to-corner performance yet, but there's no reason to think that the next generation of sensors from them wouldn't help that significantly.

Considering what Fuji is doing with an even shorter flange distance, not to mention how strong a performer that tiny 23mm f/2 that was on the X100, there's nothing impossible about Sony bringing a solid pancake to the market.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

HPL posted:

The NEX 5N has an electronic first shutter. Is there a reason it can't use that shutter for both first and second shutter for silent operation?

As of right now, no sensor producer has perfected a perfectly efficient all-eletronic shutter. I know part of it has to do with the difficulty of simulating black so as to not effect exposure.

I know Sony is working on it, as are most smaller sensor companies. It's still probably a couple years away, barring a big breakthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

HPL posted:

Well I mean it was good enough for one shutter, why not both? Even if it can't totally go black, it would still be good for stuff like low light work when discretion is important.

I'm really not an expert when it comes to this, but as I understand it: sensors can't take light data without some sort of baseline to work with, and the best way to do that is to submerge the sensor is total darkness for a moment after exposure.

If sensor producers could do it, they would. There's definitely a market for it.