Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I was thinking of getting a mirrorless camera lately because carrying a bulky DSLR is too obvious, especially when going out with friends. Problem is I haven't quite found the perfect combination of camera/lens - the closest I'm thinking would be an Olympus EPL-1 and a Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 (the EPL-1's crop factor would make the lens a 40mm equivalent.) I was thinking of the Sony NEX series, but I want Sony to release more lenses for it first (Like a pancake-style 50mm f/1.8 equivalent :allears:)

Of course, the problem is that given the cost, I might as well get an X100...which I wouldn't mind, but I'm already having a hard-enough time saving money since I just bought my 60D, and the X100 is still a pain in the rear end to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

I'm thinking of getting a Fujifilm XT-2 to complement my X100S and its wide-angle adapter, but I'm not sure what lens to get. I'm thinking of the 35mm f/2 lens so I get the 50mm equivalent, which should be a nice complement to the X100S' native 35mm equivalent and 28mm equivalent with the wide-angle converter.

I'm a bit worried about accidentally obseleting my X100S though by going with the XT-2; it feels like the X100S still has a good amount of life left even at 15,900 shots.

(oh dear it's just so much money. I could get the XT-20 instead but Fuji's got me with all those knobs and ergonomics :circlefap: )

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

whatever7 posted:

x100s is pretty old whatever Fuji body you get will be faster than the x100s, you can decide on the lens first and whatever money you have left you can spend on the body. Adorama had the XE2s for 350 last month.

Hard to recommend lens to you without knowing your preference.

I like street photography in a body I can walk around with and be low-key.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

Animal posted:

XE-3 is probably the better choice.

Interesting, thanks. I'll have to look into that. One of the things that the X100S doesn't seem to do well is fast focus, though; is the XE-3 better in that regard?

E: A cursory google search shows that yes, it's good, so it might not be something I have to worry about. I'll need to dig more into this camera. Thanks!

Casull fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 2, 2018

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

I went and bought the X-E3 with a 23mm f/2 lens. My X100S has been good to me since 2014, but I think it's time for it to retire.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

Animal posted:

how do you like the AF?

I have no idea yet! :v: It's coming on the 6th. I'm hoping it'll be faster than the x100s.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

Oh my god my new X-E3 with the 23mm f/2 lens is just so many levels of :circlefap: it runs circles around my X100S. The autofocus speed is just ridiculously fast, the electronic shutter is literally quiet, and the mechanical shutter made me realize how much I missed having a nice-sounding mechanical shutter. The continuous drive being super-fast also feels really nice.

The touch-screen controls feel a bit weird, though; it doesn't take too long to get used to them, but I like using the EVF and that disables the touch screen. This is annoying for switching ISOs since you have to swipe down to switch ISO speed, so I mapped that to the fn button instead. I also really wish the tripod mount was actually in the center because I can't mount my strap mount in the tripod hole without blocking the battery and SD card door, so I'm getting a grip tomorrow to compensate for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

Aargh posted:

I'm seriously considering picking a. Xe3 up after turning on the pro1 for the first time recently and remembering how slow the AF is. How do you find the size? I think that's my only concern as I have larger hands.

I have fairly tiny hands so the size is all right for me, but I also have a thumbgrip in the flash hotshoe so my thumb can rest on there and gives me some more grip. I'm also getting a mount on the bottom to give me a bit more grip for my fingers and so the tripod mount is in the center of the camera (why, Fuji, would you off-center the tripod mount so it blocks the battery and SD card slot?!)