Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The internet convinced me Viltrox is good, I've been playing with the 23 f/1.4 all day. I'm happy with it, looks good and been doing well in low light. It does get softer toward the edges wide open than the Fuji lens and the vignetting is more noticeable but neither seems like a big deal to me. Biggest downsides are no WR and I miss the clicks on the aperture dial. I don't think the Viltrox is better than the Fuji if money is no object, but a new Viltrox is cheaper than a used Fuji and the quality is close enough, so I'm keeping the Viltrox.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

harperdc posted:

I have family visiting, and I have gotten both onto the Fuji train, but holy poo poo it has been tough to get Fuji stuff around Tokyo at the moment.

Sorry that's my fault. Also yours for telling me about all those stores.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

qirex posted:

New app won’t pair with my camera so that’s business as usual. It also requires full time location access and notifications on iOS.

Camera firmware has to be updated to be able to connect to the new app, if you didn't do that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I got the XC 50-230 for a couple specific uses while I was in Japan and ended up using it a ton more than I anticipated. Telephoto is cool.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 31, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

harperdc posted:

that's like nothing in photo dollars, might as well. if that's well within "gently caress it, life's short" funds range, then why not?

Good advice from the guy who talked me into spending a few thousand dollars on camera kit. :v:

(though that was pushing on an open door)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

harperdc posted:

was going to mention about being a bad influence :v: yeah your case was absolutely "you're about to go on a big trip and are leaning towards an upgrade, here's what to do"

My only regret was I got the cheap XC telephoto instead of springing for the XF 70-300.

Though, getting a real good lens for literally a hundred American dollars is hard to beat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've thought about an instax since it seems fun but an all digital one makes no sense at all. The whole point is the film prints.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I cannot get used to all the catalog nonsense. I just want to drag a file from my folder into the program and edit it. Why do I have to go through a five step process to add a file and then it has to be inside this weird format?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I guess I should've said I've never used Lightroom, I got Capture One since I have a Fuji camera. I haven't used Photoshop in ages either so I'm not up on what it's like now. But my subscription renewal is up soon so I was thinking about what to do, might try Photoshop. I haven't learned much about editing at all since I don't even know where to start, I've never found a good guide to the basics and just futzing with sliders at random to see what they do hasn't really taught me much.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 5, 2024

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

IBIS owns and I can't imagine having a camera without it now. I can reliably get sharp hand-held photos at 1/4 sec. By 1/15 it's pretty much foolproof.

I do like my night photography though so I'm often in that range of shutter speeds.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

While we're on the topic of the X100V, I finally got one for retail price from B&H in late December (and sold my well-loved X100T for $800). I'm loving it but I'm still in the return window until the end of the month. Should I seriously consider returning and holding out for the X100VI? I basically just take photos of my 6-month old so I can't imagine IBIS is going to help me much with that. Someone talk me off my ledge.

I wouldn't. IBIS owns and is useful indoors with the low light, but if your subject is constantly moving like a child or cat you quickly run into shutter speeds too low to get a clean shot so it doesn't matter anyway.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Also its entirely possible that the VI goes on backorder instantly, depending on how high X100 hype is, so don’t get rid of it unless you’re fine being without for a possible long while

Oh yeah that's true too, I bet it's going to be impossible to get one for a while.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

illcendiary posted:

And that’s when you upgrade to an XT-5 with a super fast prime because you “need it” 🥴

Please don't remind me about every two months when I contemplate selling my 4 for a 5. I don't need it!!! I should wait for a 6 instead...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

harperdc posted:

I might be down for that this year. I'm definitely in the market (because my X-T20 has served me well for 5 years now) and not sure I want to go up to the X-T5 or an X-Pro.

Get the X-T5. You know you want it. It's waiting for you.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's no reason at all for me to buy one but I still want to. Gotta ignore it.

I was thinking a X-T6 would probably be far off, looked it up and the 4 came out 2020, 5 in 2022 so a 6 wouldn't be crazy. I suppose they might've decided to focus on the 100VI though and a X-T6 is more likely next year.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That's my next upgrade too. I regret I got the XC instead of just going with that one to begin with, but I didn't know I'd enjoy telephoto so much.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've done handheld night photography with the XC (with an IBIS camera) so the 70-300 would certainly work there too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Just keep buying lenses until you have to wheel a cart of them around with you.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

As a long time goon I know you always gotta keep it wide open.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The battery life is good. I have two batteries and have never even come close to exhausting that. If you're doing a lot of video that'll drain it faster.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The battery life killer for me is the Fuji on/off switch is like a millimeter of movement so my camera would regularly turn itself on in my bag and take dozens or hundreds of pictures. :argh: I eventually had to just take the drat battery out when I put it away.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Went to a Fuji sponsored photowalk today and got to play with a X100VI a bit. It's a neat lil toy. If it were half the price I'd be seriously tempted but when you can get an X-T5 for less money and slap any lens you want on there, hard sell.

If I were living somewhere that I'm always walking and there's interesting stuff around the idea of a capable camera in my pocket at all times would be more appealing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah at that price I don't see what the point of the T50 is. I guess if you just want smaller.

It's fine let the Tiktok people obsess over X100s and T50s and leave the T6 for me whenever that comes out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The X-T4 is already small enough I had to get a little grip extender thingie to hold it comfortably so there is zero appeal in smaller for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I picked up a Yashica 300mm and you could definitely kill someone with this thing.