Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!

krackmonkey posted:

x100 peeps - has the romance worn off, or do you see this being a lasting relationship? I'm looking at pulling the trigger in a couple of weeks and I'm torn between the terrible lust I have for the x100 and the alternate temptation of grabbing an E-P3 and the new Leica 25mm/1.4 lens instead.

If you were going into the camera shop next month with a fistfull of cash, and you hadn't already bought your x100, would you still make the same purchase, knowing what you know now and having spent this time with yours?

I don't have an x100 but I have an EP-1 which I bought in September 2009 and I am "still in love" with it. Even two years on it's my main camera instead of my dslrs, it sits in my bag every single day with the pancake and I throw a few other lenses in on weekends.

The x100 is great but people are spooging on a bit too much about it as if it's the only option in my opinion, you will in no way be disappointed if you instead choose m4/3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

poopinmymouth posted:

If you want dslr image quality, it is the only option. M4/3 is a great step up from P&S cameras, but the small sensor just doesn't deliver the goods, especially in low light, or high dynamic range settings. And that ignores the OVF which is an experience all by itself.

I can edit X100 files right next to 5D files with the 85mm 1.8. That is saying something. There is no M4/3 offering yet that will withstand post processing with a full frame camera and not be immediately noticeable.

The difference in IQ may be technically huge, but it's still negligible for many people in practice. I edit my raws just fine and have made nice large prints.

My argument was simply that I have been very happy with my (now ancient in technological terms) camera and that the poster would also be if he bought further into that system.

I don't want to get into the pixel peeping garbage where you "prove" how inferior my camera system is compared to your choice, especially when my choice gives me more than enough image quality for my purposes.

Enjoy your x100, it's an amazing camera, but I think this thread is doing a disservice by telling people it's the only valid option.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

poopinmymouth posted:

If you need interchangeable lenses, m4/3 or Nex is a good choice, but if you don't (need different focal lengths) there isn't a contest.

...the spooge is justified.

...I think we're agreeing then?

Of course the x100 is an amazing camera that it's worth being excited about but it's not the ONLY valid choice out there, which a bunch of the early adopters here have been claiming is the case.

You said yourself m4/3 or NEX are a better choice in certain circumstances.

I guess I just wish people would keep that in mind rather than advise everyone in this thread (and others, it comes up very often in the general thread for example) that they should not consider anything other than the x100.

Especially if someone is already invested in a lens system like (m)4/3, it seems kinda crazy to me to say the x100 is the only correct choice.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
A year ago in Kyoto/Osaka/Nagoya I saw a lot of Pens and the occasional Panasonic.

These days in the same areas I never see a single Panasonic, but I see a lot of Pens and NEXs.

I find the marketing really interesting.

(WARNING anecdotal) My girlfriend's fashion magazines always rant on about "retro cameras" being important to a lot of outfits these days, and Olympus' marketing really seems to be going for that. Most of the Pen marketing I see here is all young girls in fields enjoying their life with a camera always by their side, and there's several different monthly books and magazines of girls documenting their life with Pens (I ate this I bought this I saw this cat etc).

When I think about it, most of the Pens I see are all on young girls (or older women dressing young), and most of the NEXs are all in the hands of guys.

How are they being marketed in the west?

EDIT: Oh yeah and there's also a billion more accessories made available by/for Olympus, because they are basically selling the cameras as accessories to girls in the first place. TONNES of official strap and lens cap variations in different designs etc.

Here's the Olympus.jp Pen "adsite" http://olympuspen.com/jp/ad/

Like I said, girls in fields... Most of the print ads I see are less dramatic though, more low key/soft tone type stuff.

Lon Lon Rabbit fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 29, 2011

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
EP3 just because it looks nicer.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

whatever7 posted:

m4/3 is not an ambitious system. I don't know why people invest in it.

Because sensor size doesn't matter as much as everyone says it does and cos Olympus glass owns.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

Rated PG-34 posted:

People shouldn't buy oly because the company is run by enron-level jerks who are probably going to get away with it because Japan. I hope that company burns to the ground.

Despite all their recent crap they have a pretty good history of innovation that makes them an important part of the industry.

Just off the top of my head, and in the digital era alone, they were first with in body stabilisation, first live view screen on a DSLR, first ulstrasonic dust reduction (which really works, I have never once had to clean an Oly sensor), and, well, first ever EVIL camera.

Their "test scores" might not match up to the big boys but who caaaaaares.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
I want to use my OM lenses on my E-P1.

I have a 4/3 to m4/3 adapter so was thinking I'd get an OM to 4/3 adapter and stack them, so I can use my OMs on both 4/3 and m4/3.

I know it should technically work, but will it have any significant limitations over buying a direct OM to m4/3 adapter? Other than size obviously.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Just bought an OM-D.

They still don't know the official shipping date but amazon Japan says March 30.

Gonna be a great update to my E-P1.

EDIT: Also Olympus is running a promotion here for a free weather sealed 4/3 adapter or high speed SD card if you send in your pre order receipt, so if anyone else is getting one make sure you check your territory for similar stuff.

Lon Lon Rabbit fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 12, 2012

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Amazon has had some pretty great older model mirrorless deals lately.

I got an epl2 pancake kit for my girlfriend at 70% off last week.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

It's just God punishing you for putting cameras in bags.

Looks like a month or so until E-M5 arrival. The DPreview samples look excellent (holds its own against the NEX-5N which I regard as one of the best APS sensors on the market today). 12-50 looks to be "decent enough" but not more, but has the weathersealing which makes it a really solid little sealed package.

"By March 31st" here in Japan.

I am super excited, I am getting body only as I have a fair collection of 4/3 and m4/3 lenses already, but now I'm starting to really feel the pull of maybe the 45 1.8 or the 25 1.4.

I already have 4/3 gear in fairly equivalent focal lengths but those lenses are both really compact and I want to buy shiny new things.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

Cacator posted:

I'm almost considering selling my 20mm f1.7 along with my E-P3 and getting the 25mm f1.4 instead for the E-M5. My X100 covers a similar focal length and pocketability won't really be a factor in either case anymore.

I dunno, that pancake is just so drat versatile and I feel still pocketable that I would definitely miss it. It's always been my default lens on my E-P1 and I'm still using the Oly version which is by all accounts the lesser of the two pancakes.

Gaaaah I really want something new though, it's gear lust pure and simple but I have been really good at not buying new crap for the sake of new crap and have the disposable income right now so I think I might grab one of those two lenses.

Does anyone have any experience with either of them (Panasonic 25mm f1.4 or Zuiko 45mm f1.8)?

I feel like the 25mm will benefit me the most, as I have the 4/3 zuiko 50mm f2 (one of my most favourite lenses) which will be fairly similar to the 45mm, but obviously a bit bigger. It's also half the price of the 25mm. I love the 50mm effective focal length and I realised I don't really have anything in my digital kit at that focal length (the closest is actually the 17mm pancake) thanks to the 2x crop when I stick all my legacy lenses on it.

So yeah, any impressions of either of those two lenses?

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
My OM-D is waiting for me at home!

I am in Nagoya all day today unfortunately but I played with one in store, got a spare battery and the 25mm 1.4.

There is also another promotion in addition to the free adapter/sd card, where if you register your camera online you get a free phone strap model of it, complete with two interchangeable lenses haha.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Been out and about with the OM-D this morning and it's an incredibly satisfying upgrade from my E-P1 so far. The new features work really well, the old features are all improved, and it just FEELS GOOD in my hands. Coming from a long line of Olympus cameras I'm no doubt very biased and already well versed with their handling/menu systems, but it really just feels right and natural to me. It really makes the X-Pro 1 feel clunky in comparison.

The last electronic viewfinder I tried at any length (other than the great one in the X pro) was the first one that came out for the E-P2 and I was not impressed; it was slow and super grainy. I was worried this one would be similar but it is fantastic, super fast, bright, and clean enough confirm focus quite well. The camera swaps quickly between LCD live view and EVF with the eye sensor, which makes trying different compositions really easy.

The touch screen is something I never thought I would bother to use, but today I discovered that in combination with the swivel LCD, it actually turns the camera into an absurdly stealthy WLF style street camera. You just tilt the screen out, look down at it like a WLF, and literally just point at peoples' faces to take photos. The "fastest in the world (until Nikon takes the crown again) AF" really is super fast and accurate, and I was able to stand right in front of people and take their photos while looking like I was just stabbing at my screen and fiddling with settings or something. Add the weather sealing and you can even do all this in the rain!

There are about FIVE programmable buttons on this thing, and another 1 or 2 more I think if you buy one of the new lenses which includes buttons on the lens itself. I finally have a dedicated button JUST for focus assist zoom (the level of which can also now be adjusted with one of the dials at 5x/7x/10x/14x) which is fantastic, as my manual lenses were a chore to fine focus on the E-P1. I have everything in super easy reach, and then ON TOP of that 2 dedicated dials just for aperture/shutter. I'm still not used to the position of them, though, and am fumbling a little bit for my back button AF, but I'm pretty sure muscle memory will take care of that soon.

I tried out a little low light stuff last night and took a shot in nothing but TV glow at about 1/30, f1.4, 6400 ISO which came out looking like a daytime shot and it looks MORE than usable to me. Granted, I have yet to check it out properly on a computer screen and am basing this off the LCD, but on the E-P1 grain was pretty noticably ugly even on the LCD at about ISO 800, so I couldn't be happier. Will push it some more when I go out to dinner tonight. Considering the new and improved IBIS, I bet I could have gotten another stop or two of light out of the shutter speed and still hand held it, so I am really excited by the low light possibilities.

Anyway, TLDR; I haven't spent a lot of time with the OMD yet but it's been an absolute blast so far, incredibly usable, versatile and I think pretty powerful.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah, the AF is crazy good, definitely faster than my E-3 (Olympus "Pro" DSLR). That's what makes the touch screen focussing actually worthwhile, because you point at something, and it'll focus on it and snap the picture right away before the object even moves out of focus.

Be warned though that the super fast AF only works with actual m4/3 lenses.

I tried out some of my 4/3 gear on it, and while I think it is actually faster than it was on a 4/3 body, it is certainly not as quick as the proper m4/3 lenses.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

LiquidRain posted:

You're almost making me regret my NEX-7 purchase, LonLon! (and hello! :) ) I'd also kill to have the equivalent of the u4/3 14-50 lenses.

Oh hi!

keyframe posted:

Post your flikr or something I must see some sample pictures.

Also gently caress you for making me want to buy one :smith:

Unfortunately there is still no RAW support for the drat thing so I am just stockpiling images right now, none of them up on flickr yet. I will try and shoot some jpegs in the next few days.

Still loving the OM-D though and taking photos every day. The 25m has replaced the pancake as my day to day lens and it's performing great.

My town is in festival mode right now and I am out every night stalking naked dudes in the street who are chanting and dancing and stuff. It's got a little orange focus assist LED on the body which is great as even in the dark streets it doesn't hunt for focus like the E-P1 did, although I have blinded some friends at close range in the dark with it a bit.

I have some small complaints now that I've had it for almost a fortnight; the battery life is significantly less than my E-P1, the camera makes a weird noise and I think the Func1 button is not that ergonomically placed.

My E-P1 could live in my bag for WEEKS on a single charge if I did just the odd few photos every few days, and it could easily last a full weekend of fairly constant touristy shooting. The O-MD lasts maybe 3 or 4 days doing the former and only about 3/4 of a day doing the latter.

The weird noise it makes is apparently common for all OM-Ds and is not something wrong with my camera. It's kind of an airy computery humming sound if that makes any sense. Impossible to hear unless the room is totally silent or you put the camera up to your ear in a fairly quiet outdoor place.

The Func1 button requires you to kind of curl your thumb tip (which normally rests on the curled back thumb rest) over the top edge of the body to hit, it's small and recessed and a bit awkward. Fortunately there are a bunch of other customisable buttons.

The battery life is really the only of those three issues that I would even remotely call significant, and that has been easily solved by keeping a spare battery with me.

I found a neat gimmick feature that I hadn't heard advertised; if you push the shutter speed past bulb you get to "Live Time", which lets you see an image as it exposes. You hit the shutter, then watch the LCD, and the image "ticks" in and you can see the exposure's progress. Hit the shutter again to finish. I guess people who like light painting might find it useful? Or perhaps if you are in pitch black and are painting a subject in with a torch. It is pretty limited though, in that it only shows a maximum of 24 "ticks", which you can set to be shown every 0.5 to 60 seconds. Gimmicky and proof of concept as it is, it's kinda neat. I might use it in some pitch black urbex or something.

I assisted a wedding shoot in Osaka last weekend and the pro kept asking to play with it again and again every time we had a moment to pause. He was there with a bag full of thousands of dollars of gear and a profoto but he was more jealous of me and my O-MD :smug:

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

DJExile posted:

This sounds like quite the festival.

what's up with the lack of RAW? That seems odd.

I guess cos it's still only out in Asia and Adobe is just being slow.

I had to wait a couple weeks when I got my E-P1, too.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Oh drat just found a menu option I had somehow missed on the OM-D; pressing the shutter halfway now turns on the IS.

You can SEE just how much stability it adds in real time, it's nuts. I tried handholding (unsupported, elbows loosely in the air in front of me) my 100mm macro focussing on something about 1 metre away, and looking through the EVF the scene was of course pretty jittery. Then I pressed the shutter halfway and the image FROZE, even as I continued to breathe in and out.

I always knew Olympus IBIS was good cos of the low speeds I could handhold at, but all I ever had to prove it was the resulting image. With this setting you can SEE it working and it's pretty rad.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

Cacator posted:

Can you comment on the video quality? Has the jittery-ness of the previous PENs been rectified?

I don't really feel qualified to comment sorry as I never really used the video on my E-P1.

I took some videos today on the way to and from work, though, in a variety of settings and with some fast panning and I will try and upload them tonight or tomorrow and you can judge for yourself.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Finally remembered to shoot some jpgs on the OM-D over the last week (still no RAW support) so thought I'd throw some up here. Straight out of camera with zero adjustments. Thought I had some low light stuff showing high ISO but I guess those are still just in my raws sorry.

7mm f8 1/160 200 ISO. Full size

17mm f2.8 1/60 400 ISO. Full size

25mm f8 1/125 400 ISO. Full size

Will try and put some video samples up soon too. When is the US release date for this drat camera? I want my RAW support.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

Augmented Dickey posted:

Honestly I think the 17mm is perfectly fine for what it is. Sure, optically it's inferior to the panasonic 20mm, but for a cheap little snapshot lens it's hard to lose sleep over corner sharpness or a little vignetting.

Agreed, the 17mm owns. If you say differently you are a big time pixel peeper. It has a bad rep only because the Panasonic 20mm exists, but just cos there's something radder doesn't mean it's not rad. If you have the choice between the two of course you'd choose the 20mm, but the 17mm isn't even close to being a "weak" lens. I used it very happily for 2 years as my main lens on my main camera.

I put together a few vids from the OM-D but haven't uploaded them, not sure I will bother as there are now much better samples out there (some posted just above). There is still definitely some jelly/jitteryness, but you have to push the camera much harder to see it than you do with the Pen series. Most noticable are the leaning verticals in fast pans, but for any slow moving stuff it's pretty insane just how smooth things look thanks to the IBIS.

I played with an X Pro again for the first time since my OM-D arrived... Thing feels more clunky than ever.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

On a side note, I lost my mind and canceled the E-M5 order and bought an X100 instead. Realized I have two SLRs and a ton of lenses and was already looking at three expensive primes for the E-M5 when the whole idea was to pick up something smaller and more likely to be with me at all times than my current cameras. A body with 12-50, then a set of primes, and I have what I was trying to avoid in the first place.

I don't see why you wouldn't just wait for the OM-D then get a pancake on it? Then you've got a camera just like the X100 when you leave the other lenses at home, but much more versatile when you have room in your bag for lenses.

It really can't be overstated just how compact the m4/3 system is. I got sick of carrying spare lenses when I was using DSLRs (and I was on the 4/3 system which is smaller than most) so I would typically go out with nothing but a lens on the body, or MAYBE one more in my bag. With m4/3 I usually take 3 other lenses in my bag and it feels about the same size/weight, and one of those is the huge Panasonic 7-14mm.

EDIT: Oh and the OM-D fan noise is a huge non issue. You can only hear it in a silent room or if you put it up to your ear while outside in relative quiet. Disconcerting at first, for sure, as I've never heard a camera do that, but it doesn't affect camera operation in the slightest.

Lon Lon Rabbit fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 25, 2012

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Sure, but what I shoot "seriously" is mainly wildlife and landscapes with the occasional outing to some motorsports and stuff, and I have a rather complete Canon EF mount setup for that (7D, 500/4L, 1Ds II, Zeiss ZE etc), so wanted something nice and light to be my little buddy when I wasn't carrying gear for a specific purpose. So I really didn't need another system with several lenses (nor do I want to replicate what I already have except in a smaller format), and without several lenses I would end up with all the cons of the 4/3 format and really none of the advantages. I got a bit carried away with the E-M5 since it looks pretty awesome and it wasn't until I started looking a little more closely at what exactly I needed that I started thinking that sexy as it is it may not be the best fit. If I could replace my Canon gear with m4/3 then it would be a different story, but I don't think that is quite doable.

That, and after having shot some with EVF cameras recently I started to feel that it wasn't really what I wanted, even the G3 and NEX ones felt inferior to what I was used to from the SLRs.

Have just done some light testing with the X100 so far but man, once setup the way I wanted it, it was not far removed from shooting with my M3. Turned off everything I didn't want, using the OVF (with DOF line and histogram), no image review, JPEG in Astia mode. ND filter on/off on RAW button, ISO on Fn button. Just shoot through that great finder and see what I end up with when I get home. I like.

Fair enough.

Enjoy the X100!

The top two features I wish the OM-D had are the NEX's focus peaking and the X100's ND filter.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
The Live Bulb is cool but has some limitations. You have to dig into the menus a bit and set how often you want the "ticks", and it has a chart showing the maximum number of ticks depending on your ISO.

You can have ticks set to 0.5s, 1s, 2s, 4s, 8s, 15s, 30s or 60s.

Maximum ticks:

ISO 200 ~ 24 times
ISO 400 ~ 19 times
ISO 800 ~ 14 times
ISO 1600  9 times

It's definitely neat but I have yet to be in a situation where it helped me get a photo I couldn't otherwise. I plan to use it for some urbex where I need to paint a scene in with torchlight, but I haven't had the chance yet.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
For native m4/3 I think so.

I have a couple 4/3 lenses and the weather sealed adaptor but those lenses are huge.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

HPL posted:

To see how far we've come with photography with a finder, think about the gesture people make when talking about taking a photo. They don't hold their hands to their face like they used to. Now they hold their hands outstretched instead.

I find that kind of cultural evolution really interesting. I have even started to see "no photos" stickers on store windows (the picture of a camera in the red circle with a line through it) that now show stencils of what look like iPhones instead of "proper" cameras.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

My dad wanted to buy a modern camera, loved Olympus in the OM days, and I recommended the OM-D.

I saw it for the first time today, and poo poo, it's not even remotely simple or straight-forward. I actually had a hell of a lot of trouble figuring out simple settings. I really think the interface is terrible. I've been shooting their m4/3 bodies since the E-P1 came out and this one is complete different and hardly intuitive. Like yeah, as a geek, I wouldn't have trouble if I owned this thing, but drat, it was a terrible thing to recommend to my nearly 70-year old dad.

On the plus side, the body is practically as small as any other Olympus m4/3 camera.

What specifically are you talking about?

I also went from the E-P1 to OM-D and so far as I can tell the menus are pretty much identical? I really have no idea what is new or complicated.

Some of the more advanced settings which are somewhat hidden in the menus have slightly ambiguous names, but I just can't even think how the interface is different. In fact it has only gotten more user friendly since the E-P1 due to the touch screen.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

The main problem is that the cursors are just cursors now rather than specific buttons for doing things like setting flash, ISO, etc. You have to navigate a menu for everything. I actually think it's more elegant, but it's way tougher for an older person.

Also I don't know. I had no problem bringing up the supermenu at first, but had trouble getting it again later. Now that I think about it, maybe it doesn't come up when you switch from using the viewfinder to the display for shooting.

I didn't have much time with it, but I just didn't find it as immediately intuitive.

Fair enough.

I kind of forgot that I had spent some time in the menus before I even took the first shot with the camera. You can make those cursors direct buttons but you are right in that it requires a little menu diving and set up time, which is not easy for someone coming to their first digital camera.

If your dad is having trouble with it though and you could set aside 20 minutes to tweak the settings I think you'd find it's very customizable and you can get it back to functioning exactly as you'd expect.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
My OM-D and I spent the weekend in Tokyo with my cousin and his X Pro 1.

He's trading it in today for an OM-D. :smug:

To be fair, he loves the x pro to bits and is trading solely for auto focus issues as he shoots a lot of manic kids.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

alkanphel posted:

Haha no surprise there! By the way, how did you find the battery life of the OM-D?

Terrible compared to my E-P1.

The E-P1 would go for three or 4 days of solid travel shooting on one charge while the OM-D manages about 2/3 to 1 day.

It's pretty much my biggest complaint with the camera. Certainly manageable by having a spare battery but it's a big step down from before. Also I am just annoyed that I now own three DIFFERENT types of Olympus digital camera batteries.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Anyone know what the maximum write speed is for the OM-D? I want to get an SD card but if the camera can do like 50MB/s I don't need a 95MB/s card.

I just tested my 30mb/s card and then my 45mb/s card and they BOTH do 15 shots at 9fps of RAW until they hit the buffer.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

Cacator posted:

Eek, my E-M5 arrived at da camera store today, much earlier than I was expecting. Did anyone bother with the rebate Olympus was offering, or know if they still are honoring it due to the lack of supply?

Sounds like you're in the clear but I just wanted to add that I have twice (two times) mailed in rebates to Olympus late cos I'm dumb and gotten the stuff sent to me no problems. This is Olympus Japan, though.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
My cousin has an XPro1 and wanted to try out using a flash on it before buying one.

I lent him one of my spare Olympus hotshoe strobes and we couldn't get it working (even in manual), neither direct in the hotshoe, with wireless triggers (commander in hotshoe) or through the PC sync port.

Does the XPro1 just not work with anything but Fuji gear or might his camera have an issue?

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

MediumWellDone posted:

Hey Mate!

My Xpro1 will fire a basic strobe on it's hot shoe no worries. Maybe it's an odd connection conflict with Olympus gear?

RustedChrome posted:

If the X-Pro 1 was in "silent mode" it will not fire the flash. Did you look in the menus to see if the flash options were greyed out?

Thanks a lot! It was in silent mode.

The flash option was indeed greyed out which we took to mean the camera just couldn't see the flash, but taking it out of silent mode it works fine.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Are there any good compact systems out there at the moment with a lower end/older body and a decent 50mm or 35mm equiv for under about $600 USD? Prime like that preferred but lovely kitty zoom would do if it's not complete garbage and is within that budget.

Friend wants a recommendation for their kid which they can grow into, upgrade body and buy more lenses down the line.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

Animal posted:

Fuji X-E2's can be had for under $200 used, plus the 35mm F2 (50mm equiv) when it comes on sale will total about $500.

Cool do you know is the EVF on that considered decent?

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Thanks all for the advice.

They went ahead and ignored my advice and their budget and bought a brand new Sony a6000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
It's not a bad match, I think the camera will be great for them, it's just I had thought the budget was a strict constraint and then they went 50% over.