Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disgraceful
Mar 30, 2006
Wiking.
My GF2 just arrived the other day after selling several thousand euro worth of Canon gear and removing all camera paraphernalia from my home last year. I keep instinctively bringing it up to my eye.

A lot of reviews and comments talked about the touch screen and lack of mode control - if anyone here uses a phone with touch screen then there will be next to no adjustment needed, to be honest that and occasional focusing during the short time I've owned this are what I've used the screen for.

So far, highly recommended. Plus the 14mm is a beauty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disgraceful
Mar 30, 2006
Wiking.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I am really torn. How did those of you with a mirrorless camera make your choice of which system?

On one hand is the lessor sensor of the m4/3 but with more native lenses. On the other hand is NEX with the sensor but basically no lenses (the 24 is a biiiit out of my price range).

Non-native lenses are not really a factor to me, but I do realize that it'd be a superior experience on the NEX with peak focusing.

Any insights guys?
Also anyone with an E-PL2/3 (I guess E-P2/3 too), how is the video for you? Not a serious video person but I'd like to have it be 'usable'.

I switched to mirrorless because with the Canon system I became a gear head and collected lots and lots of heavy (and expensive) lenses that I ultimately didn't need, and got the urge to start afresh, so I literally sold 3k euro worth of lenses, lighting gear, etc and started again with a Panasonic GF2.

keyframe posted:

As much as I hate the m4/3 sensor, the omd seems to be hitting all right notes. I will probably end up getting one. What is a nice 50mm equivalent lens for it?

Tried a NEX 5 at a store and found it too small for my liking.

Panasonic 25mm F1.4 nearest, but quite pricey. The Panasonic 20mm F1.7 is probably your best best, and if you're looking for something a bit longer the Olympus 45mm F1.8 is absolutely superb.

Killer Queen posted:

Where's the best place to pick up a cheap used GF2, by the way? eBay? I'm trying to figure out if I want an E-PL1/2 or a GF1/2 for my entry into the world of m4/3. I'm thinking the Panasonic 20mm pancake would cover me for most of what I would do, then I decide from there if I need a zoom and/or wider lens.

I picked up a refurbished model off ebay, from this seller http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/digigood - subsequently I have purchased other electronic kids. Very happy, the GF2 was cheap as chips but I find the touch screen can get in the way rather than be a boon.

disgraceful
Mar 30, 2006
Wiking.

keyframe posted:

Aside from the lovely iso performance are there any shortcomings when it comes to image quality or anything else with the m4/3 sensors? I have never shot with one so I have no idea.

No problems whatsoever. Just make sure you enjoy the feel of the camera - a lot of people aren't fond of the drop from large DSLR in terms of handling. Again, no problems personally there.