Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone else think Bret Pegasus knights are going to need to either be way cheaper or way more killy? Modern monstrous cav is so much better in a fight. Paying a premium for flight isn't smart in 8th edition.

ForKhorne posted:

Im still trying to come up with a good start list. I do plan to use probably 1-2 doom divers for some sort of range power and they are fun. As for the goblins, the only reason I have them is to deliver fanatics which are my favorite unit.

Im just looking for something fun but still decent.

Gotcha. Fanatics only go with nightgoblin units so I was confused when you just wrote goblins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengeful Turtle
Dec 25, 2009

by Ralp

ForKhorne posted:

List

Units of 20 Savage Orcs are going to be eaten alive by any horde or elite unit you encounter. I would advise bumping them up to 30 strong each. A unit of 20 gobbos can be a somewhat effective bunker for a shaman but you'd have to keep them in the back since anything stronger than a stiff breeze will break them. Savage Orc Boar Boyz are just...kinda bad as far as I see. 18 points for a str 3 model with a 5+/6+ save is kinda meh and if the unit takes a single wound it can't break ranks anymore. Even with the Choppa rule I don't think this unit hit hard enough to make it's points back nor is it defensive enough to act as points denial.

All that WAAC poo poo aside I think the most basic problem with the list is the lack of a reliable anvil unit. Something like a unit of 60-100 Night Goblins would help immensely and at a low point (but high dollar) cost. Beyond the obvious anvil purpose a unit such as this has other strategic value. Most armies can't field such large units without sinking too many points into a single death star. This means that their horde units will usually top out at 40-50 models (ignoring Skaven slaves and Chaos marauders). Against such a unit you could lock your gobbo brick into combat, combo charge with a hammer unit such as Black Orcs in their flank, combat reform the gobbos into ranks of 5 and deny the enemy unit their steadfast bonus, usually breaking the unit in one go.

I realize this post has been very preachy but the reality is in 8th edition bigger units of Infantry are king.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

remember tho that, iirc, combat reform can't narrow your contact with the enemy so if you were a horde against a 5 wide unit, you can't reduce your width less than 7 (assuming 20mm models)

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Well I am looking for help here. Im still fairly new to Fantasy and need help with building something decent.

My hammer unit is probably going to be 20+ black orc with Grimgor. I just dont know how to build a tarpit properly. A billion goblins would hurt my wallet, and I still feel they would break easily.

As for savage boar boys, I am making them my Big uns and running them in a 5x2 block. On the charge thats 20 str 5 attacks from boyz and 5 str 5 from the boars. Its no Chaos knights, but its still a good amount of str 5's that should almost always be on someones flank. It would be my only fast unit in my army, I need something to come around the sides at a decent speed.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ForKhorne posted:

A billion goblins would hurt my wallet, and I still feel they would break easily

use your giant spider as unit filler in smaller matches until you get more.

Gobbos die by the score but if at the end of a turn there are sill 40 of them within the influence of a decent character they aren't going anywhere.

hence the problem with your boar boys (and nearly all cavalry really) if their target kills even just a handful of them they have very little chance ever getting out of the combat.

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?
Sooo here is my Ogre army so far:

1 Tyrant
1 Butcher

18 Bulls

8 Ironguts

8 Leadbelchers

48 Gnoblers

What more should I get? These aren't the divisions in the army either, just the models I have.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bellicose Buddha posted:

1 Tyrant
1 Butcher

18 Bulls

8 Ironguts

8 Leadbelchers

48 Gnoblers

What more should I get? These aren't the divisions in the army either, just the models I have.

another battalion would give you some really stout units. You can't have too many bulls in a unit. literally.

Vengeful Turtle
Dec 25, 2009

by Ralp

Real hurthling! posted:

remember tho that, iirc, combat reform can't narrow your contact with the enemy so if you were a horde against a 5 wide unit, you can't reduce your width less than 7 (assuming 20mm models)

I stand corrected. This is why I advocate Night Goblins being 10x10 to begin with.

ForKhorne posted:

Well I am looking for help here. Im still fairly new to Fantasy and need help with building something decent.

My hammer unit is probably going to be 20+ black orc with Grimgor. I just dont know how to build a tarpit properly. A billion goblins would hurt my wallet, and I still feel they would break easily.

As for savage boar boys, I am making them my Big uns and running them in a 5x2 block. On the charge thats 20 str 5 attacks from boyz and 5 str 5 from the boars. Its no Chaos knights, but its still a good amount of str 5's that should almost always be on someones flank. It would be my only fast unit in my army, I need something to come around the sides at a decent speed.

To be honest your only anvil choices are a billion goblins or a billion orcs. You're not Chaos so you can't rely on something like a Chosen star to negate enemy attacks. If you're on a budget (which I fully understand) either convert 40k Assault on Black Reach boyz into handweapon/shield boyz or check ebay for old Battle for Skull Pass night goblins. Between different auctions I built a 100 strong Night Goblin brick for about $60.

Simpo
May 1, 2008
use lots of cool poo poo as unit filler, random squigs, trolls, spiders, monsters, bad moon shrines, giant mushrooms etc. I really see no point in buying every single goblin the unit is supposed to have.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

100 gobbos per unit is probably overkill, you'll see people using two or three smaller hordes of between 40-60 pretty effectively, but infantry is such a good value that it doesn't hurt.

Vengeful Turtle
Dec 25, 2009

by Ralp

Real hurthling! posted:

100 gobbos per unit is probably overkill, you'll see people using two or three smaller hordes of between 40-60 pretty effectively, but infantry is such a good value that it doesn't hurt.

I agree that such a large unit isn't optimal points-wise. What it does offer is security. Field trebs firing at it? Okay, whatever. Pit of Shades? Yawn. You can pull 2 or 3 fistfuls of Goblins away before you have to start worrying about unit size. The best part is this unit only costs 300ish points so it's not like all your eggs are in one basket. Your opponent ignores them? Okay that will bite them in the rear end later. Your opponent fires a lot/all of his ranged attacks into them? Haha, you wasted your shots on Goblins. All long as the general keeps them from panicking off the board it seems like win-win.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Vengeful Turtle posted:

I agree that such a large unit isn't optimal points-wise. What it does offer is security. Field trebs firing at it? Okay, whatever. Pit of Shades? Yawn. You can pull 2 or 3 fistfuls of Goblins away before you have to start worrying about unit size. The best part is this unit only costs 300ish points so it's not like all your eggs are in one basket. Your opponent ignores them? Okay that will bite them in the rear end later. Your opponent fires a lot/all of his ranged attacks into them? Haha, you wasted your shots on Goblins. All long as the general keeps them from panicking off the board it seems like win-win.

I agree with that. Though I like to have a balance between my hammers and anvils to make enemy shooting not concentrate on one or the other. If you've got a 3-4 hundred point goblin unit, my trebs are going after your smaller hammers exclusively because thats where I'm going to be able to wipe out the whole unit to get my points. Conversely if your anvils are too small I am taking them out to make your battle line less secure.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 12, 2011

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Flippycunt posted:

Anyone have any tips on where the cheapest place online(US) to buy the new TK army book would be? I've been bidding on them on ebay but so far no luck.

Your best bet is probably warstore, it's impossible to get good deals on eBay for anything remotely new.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
Thread needs more pictures. My recently finished Knights of the Blazing Sun.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Goblinchat:

50 night goblins with bows. 3 fanatics. Poison banner.

Have fun!

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
Finally got my tyrant all done. I used the "purity seal" matte varnish to protect his paint... Made him look like he dusty... Maybe I put to much on him? Regardless I had to act quickly because Paint came off of him really really easily. Buying Another battalion is a bit out of my price range... Then again I will be selling some minis on ebay.... How much do space marines usually go for? On 40k thread there was a guy who had a friend who was selling a huge box of the old Space Marine Assault things... ended up with 5 boxes for $30, giving me 25 normal, old school marines and 40 old school genestealers... traded the genestealers for a whole army of marines... And now devoted as I am to my ogres, I am thinking of selling them in squads or as a whole. Good idea?

Joebungaloe
Apr 3, 2007

Bellicose Buddha posted:

1 Tyrant
1 Butcher

18 Bulls

8 Ironguts

8 Leadbelchers

48 Gnoblers

At this many models you really start looking into additional characters alongside additional models. Generally anything over 1500 I field a slaughtermaster and a butcher, and at 2k I easily field slaughtermaster, butcher, tyrant, and BSB bruiser. They're just too good not to use.

Coverting a Bruiser BSB is simple. Just make some alterations to one of your bulls or ironguts, make him have some extra armor, a special stick-out weapon, some gnobs on the base, etc. A butcher is a bit harder to do a conversion on, so if you've got the extra cash I'd just spring for an additional model.

Characters aside you can never go wrong with the battalion box, but I know you're strapped for that much money right now. Aside from that, at games over 2-2.5k I like mixing in scraplaunchers as you'll start to see really big blocks of infantry that you'll wanna pieplate... if you've got the money and enjoy puzzles, picking up the scraplauncher is another good option to pursue. Otherwise, just make one or two yourself as conversion side-projects.

If you have an eye toward the new book that will eventuall come out, you might want to start looking into units that appear outside of the battalion box. They're likely to see improvement, but then again, most are metals, and therefore also likely to see a plastic kit. It's a bit riskier to gamble on units that you think you will like when the new book comes out, esp when they might get cheaper, but I enjoy picking up maneaters for conversion use (taking an arab maneater right now and converting him into a Bruiser BSB) because they are very unique and interesting models.

As far as priming your ogres goes, just splurge for the testors cans of matte and dull cote. One coat of matte followed by two coats of dullcote will protect your model very, very well, and won't be shiny. You can get both types at the warstore, and a can of each will probably run 10-15 dollars. Worth every cent.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
Ugh. Blech.
Take Podhammer out of the OP, please. It's just bad to listen to these days.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Ugh. Blech.
Take Podhammer out of the OP, please. It's just bad to listen to these days.

But how will I learn about warhammer without the necessary hour long tirades about his cyclopean exwife, extended rear end kissing commercial segments with the battlefoam guy, or his obsession with bringing up flames of war all the time?

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Honestly I can kinda understand his FoW tirades at least, they started at the time when GW was doing literally nothing with Fantasy after 8th came out so he just went 'ok gently caress it, what are we gonna do keep going 'yep sure is new rules'? I'll talk about this other game', and just got into it. I mean, if anything he's just kinda an example of how lovely GW's marketing is.

Of course his podcast loving sucks so that may be a thing too.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I honestly just copy pasted the bottom half from the previous thread, I altered the Podcast section to remove Podhammer and add a couple others I listen to, but if anyone knows some more cool ones gimme a holla.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"

lenoon posted:

Goblinchat:

50 night goblins with bows. 3 fanatics. Poison banner.

Have fun!

I do this pretty often. People learned quick to hate the gobbo with the green banner.

Not too effective in hand to hand since he gets picked out by a challenge/hits allocated, but gross with bows. 35 poison attacks is no joke to anything that's not 2+ save. Stupid dragonprinces.

Only real drawback is that the bannercarrier's more expensive than most of the unit.

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.

Joebungaloe posted:

At this many models you really start looking into additional characters alongside additional models. Generally anything over 1500 I field a slaughtermaster and a butcher, and at 2k I easily field slaughtermaster, butcher, tyrant, and BSB bruiser. They're just too good not to use.

Coverting a Bruiser BSB is simple. Just make some alterations to one of your bulls or ironguts, make him have some extra armor, a special stick-out weapon, some gnobs on the base, etc. A butcher is a bit harder to do a conversion on, so if you've got the extra cash I'd just spring for an additional model.

Characters aside you can never go wrong with the battalion box, but I know you're strapped for that much money right now. Aside from that, at games over 2-2.5k I like mixing in scraplaunchers as you'll start to see really big blocks of infantry that you'll wanna pieplate... if you've got the money and enjoy puzzles, picking up the scraplauncher is another good option to pursue. Otherwise, just make one or two yourself as conversion side-projects.

If you have an eye toward the new book that will eventuall come out, you might want to start looking into units that appear outside of the battalion box. They're likely to see improvement, but then again, most are metals, and therefore also likely to see a plastic kit. It's a bit riskier to gamble on units that you think you will like when the new book comes out, esp when they might get cheaper, but I enjoy picking up maneaters for conversion use (taking an arab maneater right now and converting him into a Bruiser BSB) because they are very unique and interesting models.

As far as priming your ogres goes, just splurge for the testors cans of matte and dull cote. One coat of matte followed by two coats of dullcote will protect your model very, very well, and won't be shiny. You can get both types at the warstore, and a can of each will probably run 10-15 dollars. Worth every cent.

Sweet thanks. I was thinking of getting a maneater of some sort and turning it into a bruiser BSB. Also, Do you use any magic banners? I've looked at them and was kinda under whelmed and what kind of gear/big names do you put on your characters?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Bellicose Buddha posted:

I've been getting a little bored with the constant painting and such, so I've started basing my minis. I was looking around for something that could be a sort of badlands/rocky desert look when I realized that model train companies sell little packages of gravel. So I'm spreading glue on my ogre's bases and letting dry. I'm then going to prime them and paint them desert yellow, which really does look a lot like badland/desert terrain. Its kinda fun. :)

PV's basing material is pretty much the best thing ever, but I don't know if he's still got some around to sell or not. You could paint it with some yellow, but it looks great without doing anything to it.

Joebungaloe
Apr 3, 2007

Bellicose Buddha posted:

Sweet thanks. I was thinking of getting a maneater of some sort and turning it into a bruiser BSB. Also, Do you use any magic banners? I've looked at them and was kinda under whelmed and what kind of gear/big names do you put on your characters?

I don't use bignames, but apparently a lot of other players get mileage out of mawseeker. As for banners, I put flaming on my IGs and either runemaw or +1 movement, depending on the game size, on my BSB who goes in the bull horde. Reroll charge distance would be very good on the ironguts as well, but only if you knew you wouldn't be taking on any regenerators.

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.

Joebungaloe posted:

I don't use bignames, but apparently a lot of other players get mileage out of mawseeker. As for banners, I put flaming on my IGs and either runemaw or +1 movement, depending on the game size, on my BSB who goes in the bull horde. Reroll charge distance would be very good on the ironguts as well, but only if you knew you wouldn't be taking on any regenerators.

Does stupidity count as psychology? Someone told me I should pair the jade lion with Mawseeker.

Vengeful Turtle
Dec 25, 2009

by Ralp

Bellicose Buddha posted:

Does stupidity count as psychology? Someone told me I should pair the jade lion with Mawseeker.

Immune to Psychology makes the unit immune to Fear, Terror, and Panic. They can still be stupid.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
I'm about to join a league at my FLGS with this Vampire Counts army I've been slowly building since 7th edition, but now I'm reading it's not a good idea to put my lord/wight on a mount anymore, can someone clarify what changed there?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Manifest posted:

I'm about to join a league at my FLGS with this Vampire Counts army I've been slowly building since 7th edition, but now I'm reading it's not a good idea to put my lord/wight on a mount anymore, can someone clarify what changed there?

he gets no look out sir protection from any infantry unit while mounted and they are a million times more useful in an infantry unit

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

he gets no look out sir protection from any infantry unit while mounted and they are a million times more useful in an infantry unit

That's a hell of a nerf to look out sir. Guess I need to model a new BSB. gently caress.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Manifest posted:

That's a hell of a nerf to look out sir. Guess I need to model a new BSB. gently caress.

well how's a guy going to leap 8 vertical feet to take a bullet for you?

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

I'm just bitter because I converted a ballin mounted bsb out of that empire general kit, and now I've gotta find a way to make one that doesn't look derpy.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Real hurthling! posted:

Also, dude is standing out as leadsership like a sore thumb. Might aswell have a big target on his face and a neon "shoot me!" banner.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Real hurthling! posted:

Probably the same way that the Temple Guard manage to get themselves between a bullet and an obese, immobile frog on a giant floating dias?

'Does this make actual sense' is not a really good benchmark for rules.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ashcans posted:

Probably the same way that the Temple Guard manage to get themselves between a bullet and an obese, immobile frog on a giant floating dias?

'Does this make actual sense' is not a really good benchmark for rules.

dias has altitude control.
\

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
The SMP probably levitates one of the saurus and leaves it hanging infront of him as a shield.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Not a viking posted:

The SMP probably levitates one of the saurus and leaves it hanging infront of him as a shield.

You'd think he could just bend the path of the bullet in that case, although maybe he has a flair for the dramatic somewhere under those sleepy jowls.

anyways, I was just thinking about worthless champion upgrades in chaff horde units and correct me if I'm wrong, but how is it not a fantastic idea to take a 4 point Pawleader if you have the points left over? Think about it:

He's worth potentially way more than 2 slaves at the same price when you use him to challenge characters in opposing units. He soaks up all the overkill wounds that otherwise would chip off your models - thereby maintaining your slave unit's rank advantage, preserving leadership and steadfast for longer.

This obviously would be less effective if they enemy has a champion to keep your pipsqueak off his char's back, but a 4 point contingency plan is a gamble with a very small downside in my book.

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
So I am actually going to try to play my first game this Sunday. I have a feeling that I am in for a rocky ride. Also, talking to the guys at the store, I am the one ogre player there. This will be interesting.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

I was under the impression that the champion was pretty much always worth it for challenges/protecting characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Manifest posted:

I was under the impression that the champion was pretty much always worth it for challenges/protecting characters.

If you target the champion with 4-6 slaves and kill him then you can challenge out the lord the next turn. Nobody is rolling into a slave combat thinking challenge until this happens to him. plus if you're up against a char on a ridden monster you can ruin his day right off the bat.

Anyway didn't mean to say it was the best thing ever, just that someone was making GBS threads on a list at the end of the other thread for having a paw leader and I wanted to say it didn't seem like such a dumb idea to take it if you've got the points left over considering just about the only other thing you can get for 4 points in that book is 2 more slaves or a great weapon for a chieftain to flush his initiative down the drain with.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 13, 2011

• Locked thread