Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am not sure that I could describe AOS as 'getting back into fantasy', with the amount of differences between the systems it isn't really the same game, and the setting is also radically different. Although having said that, any fantasy miniatures you have are probably usable in AOS, if only in the legacy rules. If you are feeling nostalgic about ranked battle and the old world though I don't think its going to work for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, 40k looks far more game than AoS does, but I doubt it'd scratch the same itch you'd want from Fantasy. Then again, with AoS being 40k In Space, it likely won't scratch that itch either.

What did you like best about Fantasy?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ashcans posted:

I am not sure that I could describe AOS as 'getting back into fantasy', with the amount of differences between the systems it isn't really the same game, and the setting is also radically different. Although having said that, any fantasy miniatures you have are probably usable in AOS, if only in the legacy rules. If you are feeling nostalgic about ranked battle and the old world though I don't think its going to work for you.

This is a good point - the game is pretty much a radical departure from WFB. The setting is also very different (and not very good at this time) so it's a real culture shock. I'm trying to dig into the background of the world (or Realms), but it's pretty poorly fleshed out and often non-sensical. I will say that the Army books are pretty decent reads - I've read the Flesheater Courts and Ironjaws so far, and both were pretty good regarding the background for the armies.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Just look up Kings of War instead

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The Bee posted:

Yeah, 40k looks far more game than AoS does, but I doubt it'd scratch the same itch you'd want from Fantasy. Then again, with AoS being 40k In Space, it likely won't scratch that itch either.

What did you like best about Fantasy?

Hrmmm Most of what I like about Fantasy is that I have a bunch of painted minis already, including a whole Ogre Army that I really liked playing with.

I appreciate all the feedback, I'm going to read through the Sigmar thread and figure it out. Cheers!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Hrmmm Most of what I like about Fantasy is that I have a bunch of painted minis already, including a whole Ogre Army that I really liked playing with.

I appreciate all the feedback, I'm going to read through the Sigmar thread and figure it out. Cheers!

Smart answer. From what I recall in early battle reports Ogres were one of the better armies in AoS, too, but that was back during the no points era so I'm not sure how they hold up these days.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Not a viking's answer is worth looking into. Kings of War is a good massed battle fantasy army game.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3491381

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The OP is out of date in the Mantic thread, the free core rules and starter lists for KoW 2E are here

jonnyman
Sep 6, 2013

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Hey so maybe a stupid question but I'm thinking of getting back into fantasy and I heard that with Age of Sigmar your lists can be whatever you want, as long as your opponent agrees? Is that right?

Follow up: Is there a third party manual or FAQ of values that I can use to make roughly equitable armies on both sides?

Question the third: Should I just give up on Fantasy and play 40k instead?

It's kind of nice that there are a few choices to look into when it comes to fantasy games. You can also check out the 9th age. It's more or less a continuation of warhammer fantasy but it's slowly becoming it's own entity.

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?board-list/

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Hey so maybe a stupid question but I'm thinking of getting back into fantasy and I heard that with Age of Sigmar your lists can be whatever you want, as long as your opponent agrees? Is that right?

Follow up: Is there a third party manual or FAQ of values that I can use to make roughly equitable armies on both sides?

Question the third: Should I just give up on Fantasy and play 40k instead?

A- Nope. Your opponent don't even have to agree to your list. Field as many Nagashes you want by the free rules or...

B- The General's Handbook is a successful attempt at making AoS somewhat of a game, if a simplistic one. For 20$.

C- The market is far bigger than those two, so by all mean, look thoroughly for what you may want.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

RagnarokAngel posted:

Source your quotes.

Lol.

Granted, the bigly Marines are fantastic models compared to sigmarines but the story behind them is just as awful.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 10, 2017

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Iceclaw posted:

A- Nope. Your opponent don't even have to agree to your list. Field as many Nagashes you want by the free rules or...

B- The General's Handbook is a successful attempt at making AoS somewhat of a game, if a simplistic one. For 20$.

C- The market is far bigger than those two, so by all mean, look thoroughly for what you may want.

Of course your opponent has to agree to your list, you're not kidnapping him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm still having a hard time believing they AOSed 40k.
I put the blame squarely on WFB players for not buying enough models and getting their game hosed.
Since AOS sold so much better than WFB the same recipe will work for 40k!
So now we have bigly Marines.
gently caress.

40k is now a better then it has ever been. The Primaris Marines are not even bad.

Our setting also was not done away with.

Their main thing seemed to be learning from the mistakes they made with Age of Sigmar's launch. As it was bad, though the game has improved a lot now.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 10, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm still having a hard time believing they AOSed 40k.
I put the blame squarely on WFB players for not buying enough models and getting their game hosed.
Since AOS sold so much better than WFB the same recipe will work for 40k!
So now we have bigly Marines.
gently caress.

Source your quotes.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Dang a dude in Bangkok is selling the plastic black orcs from the 90s.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

Is that noteworthy? As far as I know, GW's been using that same sculpt since forever. And aren't they still selling them as "Ardboyz" for their new Ironjawz faction? Unless there's some previous sculpt I'm unaware of.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Deino posted:

Is that noteworthy? As far as I know, GW's been using that same sculpt since forever. And aren't they still selling them as "Ardboyz" for their new Ironjawz faction? Unless there's some previous sculpt I'm unaware of.

These are the single pose ones. I thought they had been out of print forever. It's just super weird to see it. He's selling them alongside the super loving old 4e elf chariot.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

These ones -

May even be pre-90s, not sure when they came out

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Zark the Damned posted:

These ones -

May even be pre-90s, not sure when they came out

Yeah these guys. It's only notable because of how unexpected they are to see in a random sales post on Facebook. They're not great models or anything, but I'm sort of tempted to grab them for the novelty. But $25 for 6 dudes is like current GW prices.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
drat, I love old single pose GW models, they are so goofy :allears:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I just saw a mostly unpainted 4th/5th ed dark elves army for $150AUD that I was tempted to pull the trigger on. Those models are so bad that they are good.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Pretty sure I have one of those dudes tooling around in my collection from 20 years ago. I have a really random smattering of ancient models that seem to have spontaneously generated in my boxes, probably due to a critical density of neglected miniatures.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I get why GW doesn't sell their old stuff, but I kind of wish they'd license it out to someone else because some of that goofy nonsense has a lot of charm.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The moulds probably don't even exist any more.

Though there's a lot of older stuff that's been showing up in the Made to Order weeks.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
They might not, but I was under the impression that GW held onto its molds "just in case". I could be wrong though.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I believe that GW keeps all its current molds in their vault because why would you just throw them away? There might be some that the mold essentially wore out and they didn't replace, though, especially for some of the old metals (I think those molds wear much faster). But I also believe that GW keeps their master miniatures as well (in a separate place) so that they can theoretically strike a new mold for anything they want.

GW makes a bunch of crazy choices, but I can't imagine them just trashing their old molds and masters.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

"Uh oh, looks like Stormboyz aren't selling too well this week. Tell Jerry to add those molds to the Sledgehammer Pile."

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Sometimes it feels that way.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I like to imagine there's a semi-forgotten vault in the GW HQ with all the master miniatures and molds, I would have a huge nerdgasm If I ever set foot there.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Lobster posted:

I like to imagine there's a semi-forgotten vault in the GW HQ with all the master miniatures and molds, I would have a huge nerdgasm If I ever set foot there.

sadmarineunderthestairs.jpg

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Big Willy Style posted:

I just saw a mostly unpainted 4th/5th ed dark elves army for $150AUD that I was tempted to pull the trigger on. Those models are so bad that they are good.

I love those models, there's seriously only like two sculpts I need to have the whole run.

(And all the unreleased scouts, damnit.)

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
The witch elves and executioners are just so good.

GW is currently re-releasing old Blood Bowl teams of a similar vintage so they probably have the masters kicking around, minimum

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm sure they do somewhere, and it's frustrating that they've Disney vaulted this stuff - but it's also kind of cool that it's occasionally available.

Hopefully the back catalogue opens all the way someday, through a forgeworld like "Citadel Archives" branch.

And God those executioners were hard to find. They were originally a Games Day exclusive. I lucked out and got nearly the whole run mislabeled on ebay NIB for $40.

moths fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 1, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
What makes it especially frustrating is that if it was just a normal product available through GW I'd buy a bunch of it in a heartbeat. I hate hunting for eBay deals, especially since shipping to Asia is loving expensive. And it's getting harder and harder to find NIB stuff or stuff that's been decently stripped and is fully accounted for.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

For anyone still interested in trying KoW and yet to jump in AU/NZ, MightyApe has a 20% off sale for all KoW stuff, bar the brand new releases (Edge of the Abyss summer campaign stuff mostly), until August 31

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Wrong thread :(

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 5, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
This post is dedicated to my favorite Skink.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

:stonk: "OH gently caress, THEY'VE GOT ELIAS!"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

This post is dedicated to my favorite Skink.

New Roadhog skin is looking good. :toot:

I loving love that model, I managed to get a hold of one myself and I'm working out how to paint him to do it justice. I always had a soft spot for the skink revolutionary movement, and that boss model always helped.

That's a really good yellow you have on him, I don't think I could pull it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Ashcans posted:

New Roadhog skin is looking good. :toot:

I loving love that model, I managed to get a hold of one myself and I'm working out how to paint him to do it justice. I always had a soft spot for the skink revolutionary movement, and that boss model always helped.

That's a really good yellow you have on him, I don't think I could pull it off.

Thanks! I got him on accident. I bought a stegodon on Facebook and the seller thought he was part of the model and sent him with. The yellow isn't tough, base white and an army painter yellow with an orange wash and work him it up from there.

• Locked thread