Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
See if there's a refugee resettlement organization in your area, they often need furnishings for new arrivals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Recommendations for services that will pick up furniture from your home for donations?

I'm moving and don't need a bunch of my furniture. Seems like a big waste to just 1-800-junk it or whatever.

I've also tried lowering the price of the furniture to what seems comically low, but still haven't had any takers.

The last time I moved and needed to get rid of big furniture stuff I didn’t need/want and couldn’t sell, I just posted on Craigslist/Facebook that it was free as long as they come with their own transportation and labor (ie, that I wasn’t going to lift a finger to help period cause it was summer and gently caress if I’m sweating my rear end off to give away free poo poo). People are vultures and you’ll get rid of it all in no time.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Recommendations for services that will pick up furniture from your home for donations?

I'm moving and don't need a bunch of my furniture. Seems like a big waste to just 1-800-junk it or whatever.

I've also tried lowering the price of the furniture to what seems comically low, but still haven't had any takers.

I used my local city's 'Buy Nothing' FB group and there's always a couple of takers for whatever furniture I put up.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Boris Galerkin posted:

The last time I moved and needed to get rid of big furniture stuff I didn’t need/want and couldn’t sell, I just posted on Craigslist/Facebook that it was free as long as they come with their own transportation and labor (ie, that I wasn’t going to lift a finger to help period cause it was summer and gently caress if I’m sweating my rear end off to give away free poo poo). People are vultures and you’ll get rid of it all in no time.

The last time I tried that I had multiple people asking me to drive it to them and then swearing at me until I blocked them when I said no.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Anything I post as "for free" on my local Facebook for sale/trade/buy nothing group is almost always picked up within a day.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If I get mail addressed to a person who no longer lives here I know I can write “not at this address” on the envelope and leave it in the mailbox for the carrier to pick up, and theoretically the sender will be made aware and stop mailing stuff here for them.

What do I do about mail that’s address to “soandso or current resident?” I’m getting a lot of those for things like cable, internet, etc. The person it’s addressed to isn’t here but I’m technically the current resident soooo… but I don’t want to get the mail anymore.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Recycle it. It's subsidizing the mail you actually want to get (if any).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Recycling here is… difficult because it looks like at least 1 of the other tenants in the building just tosses poo poo into the recycling bin. But point understood. It kinda feels wrong to open/toss mail that’s not for me even though it does say “or current resident”.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Nothing important has ever been addressed to "or current resident"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If you are the current resident, then it is for you, so you can toss it or burn it or open it and add it to your correspondence binder, whatever you prefer. Nothing addressed to '...or current resident' is anything besides junk and solicitations anyway. No one is sending out bank statements or social security checks like that.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I've been in the same apartment for over 7 years and still occasionally get junk mail with previous resident names on it; certain senders will keep it up forever once an address is on their list. Just toss it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Gonna legally change my name to Current Resident so that I can legally open all the mail.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My name is Local Postal Customer. Postmasters hate me.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hey folks, my name is ADDRESSEE UNKNOWN, nice to meet you

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Is there a duvet cover that will let me have a different duvet in each side, for one person who likes to sleep warm and another who sleeps cool?

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

Is there a duvet cover that will let me have a different duvet in each side, for one person who likes to sleep warm and another who sleeps cool?

I haven’t tried any myself but these are sold as dual temperature duvets

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

kreeningsons posted:

I haven’t tried any myself but these are sold as dual temperature duvets

Thanks! My GF will probably steal the whole thing but I gotta try

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Could go full European with it and get 2x twin duvets and duvet inserts. You each get your own.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

Just get two. That’s what we’ve done for a decade.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

How often are you all having your sofas professionally cleaned? The cleaning/furniture making industry recommends once a year or for those having pets or kids, once every six months.

Out of the very small sample I have polled thus far, the only answer given was “never”.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

kreeningsons posted:

How often are you all having your sofas professionally cleaned? The cleaning/furniture making industry recommends once a year or for those having pets or kids, once every six months.

Out of the very small sample I have polled thus far, the only answer given was “never”.

Never.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

kreeningsons posted:

How often are you all having your sofas professionally cleaned?
Like with most cleaning, the answer is "as needed". Regularly host sloppy orgies? Yeah, might want to invest in a good cleaner (or some tarps). Otherwise, just wait until you notice the thing is dirty in a way you can't handle yourself (quite likely "never").

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I've had kids in the house for over 6 years. I'd say on average, the cushion covers get washed once every other year. Also, we basically never wash them all at once, just as messes happen the affect covers come off and go in the wash. In the 10 years from start of college to kids, I don't think I ever washed furniture fabric.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I am moving into an apartment that is merely partially furnished, for the first time in years. Since 2020, I've lived in a succession of fully furnished units. One reason is I just don't want the trouble of furnishing a home. There's too many options and I have a bad sense of interior design.

So now I have to pick out a bed and it's overwhelming. It's crazy how many kinds of mattresses there are now. I have to get a frame for it too. Box springs seem to be used less now. Are they needed, or were they ever? Any ideas on how to simplify these purchases.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
What beds have you liked before? Foam? Spring Mattress? Box springs can be replaced by a properly designed bedframe with something like slats. I have cheap foam mattresses with no box spring, but a bedframe with metal slats for my kids and they are perfectly comfortable - I've napped in them from time to time.

If you just want simple, you can get a Zinus bedframe plus a Zinus foam mattress, delivered to you very quickly from amazon. However, this may not be the most stylish choice.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

My inclination would be toward foam, not least because springs wear out. But the IKEA guide says that spring mattresses tend to feel cooler? I live in Florida so that's a big deal. I think I've had both kinds, couldn't say which was more comfortable.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

So now I have to pick out a bed and it's overwhelming. It's crazy how many kinds of mattresses there are now.
There a mattress thread that's pretty helpful. I think it was this one?

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I am moving into an apartment that is merely partially furnished, for the first time in years. Since 2020, I've lived in a succession of fully furnished units. One reason is I just don't want the trouble of furnishing a home. There's too many options and I have a bad sense of interior design.

So now I have to pick out a bed and it's overwhelming. It's crazy how many kinds of mattresses there are now. I have to get a frame for it too. Box springs seem to be used less now. Are they needed, or were they ever? Any ideas on how to simplify these purchases.

I went to ikea and while looking at the options decided how much my wallet could handle, tested then out for a while, and walked away with a full sized memory foam mattress and metal bed frame with wooden slats. I think I spent around $700 for everything.

A box spring is not totally necessary. But in its place this system of wooden slats provides enough spring that a box spring would. Some people prefer traditional box springs because they prefer an elevated mattress or live in a drafty castle or something, but they are pretty out of style these days, and they are a pain in the rear end to move versus a foam mattress that can fit in the trunk of a car. The frame can fit in a car with it. As far as simplicity, this is the most hassle free option besides just putting a mattress on a piece of plywood.

If you are curious, the mattress is called “MYRBACKA” but it’s actually fine on my back even after 7 ish years of owning it. They don’t sell my bed frame anymore but the slats are called “LURÖY” and there are several frames that are compatible with it. The only thing I wouldn’t recommend is a wooden ikea bed frame because they can take on some damage while moving/reassembling them and become disposable.

As a final piece of advice, I would recommend getting a mattress cover for apartment living because of the chance of bedbugs. I got a SureGuard one.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Does anyone have a very rough ballpark estimate on how much it would cost for full service movers to move 4 large objects (A couch, dresser, bed+mattress, and small dining room table) about 400 miles? Every place I've tried to get a quote from just asks for my info and then sends me an email saying "well get back to you." which they never do. The total value of the stuff listed was ~$2000 when new so I'm wondering if it's even worth trying to move it.

If I do decide to just get rid of it locally whats the go to website for selling or offering free furniture these days?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Facebook marketplace or Craigslist, depending.

At 400 miles, you'd have to use one of the bigger companies and not a local shop. I would be inclined to dump them and get new ones, it will probably come out even, maybe 🤷 (I don't buy expensive furniture)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you really got a ~$500 couch and a ~$500 mattress set and bed, you have to wonder whether they even could survive the trip. Or did you just get them a long time ago? Definitely look at the price of new stuff before you decide. I don’t think even Bob’s finest sawdust could replace it all for $2k anymore

e: but your actual answer is a local Facebook Buy Nothing group

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You could try a POD service for that. I think the issue with regular movers is that's a small load moving a larger distance, so a small local mover might not be interested in the drive and a larger service is less interested in the small tonnage. You can get a POD dropped off, load it up, and then move it over, assuming you have a couple people each side that's not too bad to handle the load/unload yourself. And if not, it's easier to find a couple guys to help move a couch upstairs than to drive it 400 miles.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

You could try uShip. But that’s definitely a buyer beware service.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
is it just me or was there recently a weird flip in prices for POD / U-Box shipping, such that for cross country it now became cheaper to just fill and rent a truck for one-way, whereas less than a year ago one-way truck rentals were *impossibly* pricy? was there some shortage affecting the flow of one-way truck supply?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
1 way truck rentals are *highly* dependent on source/destination flows as far as I know.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Not sure where to ask this, and the Dorkroom had little to say about it, but I've printed a bunch of my own photos, mostly 6x8 but also a really big pano, and I'm stuck on how to frame them. What color frame? Mat or no mat? Same frame for all the photos or mix it up? Hard to know what will look good.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Not sure where to ask this, and the Dorkroom had little to say about it, but I've printed a bunch of my own photos, mostly 6x8 but also a really big pano, and I'm stuck on how to frame them. What color frame? Mat or no mat? Same frame for all the photos or mix it up? Hard to know what will look good.

Go to a frame store and play around with things until you like how they look, maybe? There's no obvious answer, it'll depend entirely on your taste and wall color and extant decor and the color of the photos and etc etc.

I will say you probably almost always want a mat though, if it's supposed to be an artistic photo and not just a snapshot that's going on someone's desk.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Posted into the right thread

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 6, 2024

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Edit: okay wrong thread I think! What's the right thread? Help!

We have a few threads on landscaping and horticulture in the Hobbies, Crafts, and Houses subforum, I’d start there.

Your answers though will probably be to just contact an arborist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Thanks!