Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

For those looking to rent one site that I haven't seen is MLS. Basically people buy a house/condo and need to rent it out but the don't want to manage the property so they get a Realtor/mamagement firm to manage the property. Some may or may not post on craigslist but they definitely post on MLS search site. The best one I found was:

http://www.mlslistings.com/

I prefer to deal with MLS listing because craigslist, at least in our area, is full of crappy huge managed properties who post the same drat add day after day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Has anyone ever had any luck or experience with bulk payment discounts? I have a hefty sum of money saved up and I wouldn't mind plunking down 6 months worth of rent all at once if it would save me $50 or $100 a month.

Is this a thing any apartment renter would ever agree to or consider?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Quills posted:

I'm having a hard time settling on an apartment right now.

Me and my friends have all graduated and want to move back to Baltimore. We found an apartment at a great price with an absurd number of bedrooms near a great bar district and in a decent neighborhood.

Its located above a business and the landlord wasn't in, but an employee let me access the apartment. I could not ask questions of anyone and I was kind of weirded out that we were allowed access to the place without any kind of supervision. The carpets (ugh) are disgustingly dirty and stained and the place has a really odd smell. Via email the landlord says they'll replace some of the badly stained carpet, shampoo the rest again, etc. They claim the odd ( and overwhelming) smell in the apartment is due to the deodorizer used. It doesn't look like the carpet was cleaned ever and some of the bathrooms and kitchen are dirty.

I think this is her first or second time as a landlord for an apartment, a lot of things just don't seem done well. New windows and closet doors have been installed but they don't fit well at all. The dryer, which sits next to a window, does not have its ventilation going anywhere and actually leads back into the apartment! I was told that the previous tenant requested that it not lead outside?

Is it reasonable to ask that the apartment be professionally cleaned prior to move in and some of the stuff be repaired? The price is ridiculous and seems perfect for our number of roommates but some issues are just sticking with me.

edit: After some research, it appears that the dryer vent won't kill us if its an electric dryer. Would the added humidity from that be appropriate for the Baltimore area winters at all?

I would suggest not moving in there at all. If that's the stuff you see now just imagine what they're not telling you.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Quills posted:

edit: After some research, it appears that the dryer vent won't kill us if its an electric dryer. Would the added humidity from that be appropriate for the Baltimore area winters at all?

Don't take this as necessarily a 'good' thing, but I lived in a poo poo house in Seattle with a bunch of guys and our drier had terrible ventilation. You better believe that those of us that lived in the basement with the w/d stayed warm as hell in the winter, though.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

crazyfish posted:

I would suggest not moving in there at all. If that's the stuff you see now just imagine what they're not telling you.

This is a really succinct and intelligent way of phrasing the reaction I had to your post, which was essentially :gonk: NO DON'T.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Drunk Tomato posted:

Has anyone ever had any luck or experience with bulk payment discounts? I have a hefty sum of money saved up and I wouldn't mind plunking down 6 months worth of rent all at once if it would save me $50 or $100 a month.

Is this a thing any apartment renter would ever agree to or consider?

It is definitely something that they might consider, sure. Knowing that they have it paid up front would probably be nice. However, you should be aware that in some places, landlords are not actually allowed to do this - it stems from the fact that there are often strict controls on what penalties can be applied to late rent, and that practically speaking it can be very hard to differentiate between an early discount and a late penalty.

I am not sure that I would do this, personally. It means that the landlord is holding six months of your rent if anything goes wrong, and withholding rent is one of the real rights/powers that a tenant has to deal with landlord problems.

TheBandOffice
Nov 4, 2009

nilumtil posted:

Does anyone have advice regarding finding subsidized housing, or just places that have low rates for people on SSD?

My lease is about to expire and my other plans fell through, leaving me with a few bad options... I am on disability and need to find a new place I can actually afford, or go live with my mother. None of my current friends are in need of a place around that time. I afforded this place fine half and half with a roommate, so it's quite disheartening to feel like I can't afford a place to live.

The last dude I interviewed for a roommate (to sign a new lease at my current complex) told me he would have background check problems, for trying to rob a woman at knifepoint and leading the cops on a multi county chase which culminated in him attempting to stab a few cops and doing 9 years. After that, I'm really not looking at moving in with a stranger off of craigslist or the community college bulletin board.

So it looks like one of my (ugh) better options is to try to get a single bedroom or studio... but most places would leave me with drat near no money afterwards. I looked somewhat into the Housing and Recovery Act, but the places I called (from the government website) said they had like 18 month waiting periods like Section 8.

I'm about to just call several regular-regular apartment locating firms, tell them the amount I'm trying to pay (at least a hundred below most of the single bedrooms ive seen here, BEFORE bills), then tell them if they know someplace I can get in because I'm on SSD that fits the bill, that may be preferential.

Does anyone have any hands-on experience with this (particularly in Austin, TX), or knowledge they can share that might help me out?
Call HACA again and see if they have any recommendations on low-cost housing in the area. The waitlist for section 8 housing is large, but often they can recommend apartment complexes that are not terribly expensive and might be willing to work with your low income.

PotatoMasher
Jul 19, 2003

Genuine real-deal interstate mover here. I've got a couple tips to save cash.

1) Sort your crap. Throw stuff away. Start early. The less room it takes, the less truck you need. It's opposite when using pros long-distance. Moving companies charge by the pound for intra/interstate moves. That means pitch the old magazines before you throw out the guest bed.
2) Get good boxes. Apple boxes you scrounged out of the Safeway dumpster are not going to protect your fine china. Get double-strength cartons for that (called dish barrels/packs). They are strong enough to park a car on. Craigslist "free" listings is a good place to find this stuff.
3) Bubble wrap and packing peanuts are a rip-off. Use crumpled up newsprint for cushioning. Roll all fragile items in 3-4 layers of newsprint. The rolling gives it better strength. Make sure to fill your boxes to the top or they will crush. Use crumpled newsprint if you can't find anything.
4) Take your stuff apart. Ikea/Pottery Barn ready-to-assemble particle board furniture does not move well. If you leave it together it will fall apart in transit. Break it down into flat pieces and put the hardware in plastic baggies. Make sure to label the parts so you can re-assemble it.
5) If you are loading your own truck, do not box your blankets. Road vibrations will seriously screw up wood finishes. Use your blankets as padding for furniture.
6) When loading the truck make sure you load the most awkward stuff first. That way you still have plenty of small nik-naks to fill all the little spaces. If you don't you will leave lots of wasted space at the end when you load them and/or have to leave them behind because you ran out of room.
7) If moving professionally make sure to get several different price quotes beforehand. Throw out the highest and lowest before selecting your company. If a esimate is significantly higher it means they are trying to fleece you. If it is too low it means they have forgotten something and the guys who show up to do the job will be unprepared or underpaid. Get all contracts in writing. Do nothing completely over the phone or on-line. If they want your business they will send a flesh-and-blood sales representative to your home to accurately price your move.
8) Check your homeowners/renter's policy. They sometimes cover your goods while moving.
9) Keep your reciepts. Moving expenses are tax deductable. File form 3903 with your next tax return.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Having just moved (just in town, in the Seattle area), I figure I'll throw in some tips.

Websites I used:
hotpads.com (liked this one, lets you keep notes and such.)

1) If you care about internet, ensure you can get decent hispeed when you move. If you really care, make sure before you sign the lease. I just had to switch from Comcast to Broadstripe and I'm pretty irked about it, as Comcast in my area (seattle) was not only offering the 50-105 mbps packages, but delivered on those speeds too. No issues, no outages, really liked them. Broadstripe blows - speeds are between 1-15 depending on the time of day and the upload is nonexistant. However, I just found out I'll be getting Condointernet.com by the end of the summer, so that's pretty awesome.

2) Food sucks to move. Food really sucks to move. Eat your food before you move. Take 2-3 weeks before you move and empty out your pantry. If you wouldn't eat it then, throw it away. Pantry food is hard to move (generally either fragile or heavy), and refrigerator food is also pretty hard to move too. (need a cooler)

3) If you don't want to take time off work, give yourself at least a week of overlap, preferably two. Does paying double rent suck? Yes, very much. Does having to clean an entire apartment in a day suck more? Most likely.

Also when apartment hunting, give yourself about a month, and have a clear understanding of what your requirements are.

Quills
Mar 24, 2007
Found a great rowhome and hopefully we'll be moving in soon. Met with the current tenants (without the landlord present) and they gave us the lowdown about it and there doesn't seem to be any substantial problems with the place.

The one issue is that its a really old Baltimore rowhome with narrow and short stairs, so moving a bed with a boxspring up 3 flights of stairs is a no go. What are some good mattresses that don't require boxsprings? I've never purchased a bed before.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Since out of high school I've been living with house mates my entire life. So I decided I wanted a place of my own recently and recently got an apartment. After so many years of shared housing it's almost like moving out of your parents house. There's a lot of shared appliances that I had/have to buy that was shared before (luckily the new place comes with washer/dryer and refrigerator). I also have a friend that recently moved so I grabbed his boxes after he was done with them. Check if anyone you know have boxes they can get rid of.

Some things include:

* Vacuum cleaner - Here's a cheapie that got great ratings in consumer reports (if you need/want a more expensive sucker Woot.com and TechBargains.com list Dyson and Roomba refurbs all the time) :
http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-Widepath-Upright-Vacuum-U5140-900/dp/B0009ONZ8G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
* Fire Extinguisher - Never buy online, these things aren't designed to be beat up via delivery, just pick one up at your local Target or similar store.
* Kitchen Table Set - Ikea baby.
* Office Stuff - Pens, Notepads, Staplers, Scotch Tape, Eletrical Tape, Duct Tape, Magazine Holders, Folders, etc..
* Couch - Still have to buy this and am annoyed my living room is probably too small to fit the couch I want.
* TV Stand/TV - Obviously buy something within budget if TV watching/gaming is your thing.
* Coffee Table - Remotes/Magazines other junk need to go somewhere when lounging around.
* Bug Killers - Ant/Roach Traps, be proactive.
* Kitchen Trash Can - In an apartment it's good to have one with a lid that will seal any odors since you're in a small area.
* First Aid - Bandaids, Bandages, disinfectant, etc...
* Tools - Screw drivers, hammers, wrenches, etc...
* Bath cleaning products - Plungers, draino, bathroom brush, scented spray, tile cleaner, etc...
* Welcome Mat - Dirty shoes on carpet suck.
* Air Bed - If you already don't have one then they're awesome to keep at the place you haven't moved your bed to yet. Beyond moving they're great for guests and/or camping. Here's a queen sized air bed for $20 / free shipping via Walmart:
http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/264081

Probably forgetting other things, will add them as I buy them.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 10, 2011

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

scarymonkey posted:

* Vacuum cleaner
Here's a cheapie that got great ratings in consumer reports (if you need/want a more expensive sucker Woot.com and TechBargains.com list Dyson and Roomba refurbs all the time) :
http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-Widepath-Upright-Vacuum-U5140-900/dp/B0009ONZ8G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Woot sometimes has some Shark vacuums, those rock. I got mine for $70 and I love it.

I think pretty much any cyclonic vacuum is going to rock, and a lot of companies make them now.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

FISHMANPET posted:

Woot sometimes has some Shark vacuums, those rock. I got mine for $70 and I love it.

I think pretty much any cyclonic vacuum is going to rock, and a lot of companies make them now.

Speaking of which, Techbargains has the following Shark listed:

quote:

Shark Navigator NV22T Upright Vacuum Cleaner (Refurb) $79 Free Shipping
eBay (through Vacuum Warehouse) has the Refurbished Shark Navigator NV22T Upright Vacuum Cleaner for a low $79.00 Free Shipping. Tax in TX.

Features 10Amp motor with bagless cyclonic technology; Features a bare floor selector, 1AMP brushroll motor, 9-foot stretch hose and 24" crevice tool and more. 90-day warranty

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/264301

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
It's timely to see PotatoMasher's advice about sorting/throwing stuff out as I've been doing it all year. I've recyled or donated almost half of 16 years of accumulation. In addition to being a smart idea for moving, it also feels drat good!

I'm anticipating a cross-country move from a house into an apartment. I'll be putting maybe 1/2 of the stuff into storage until I'm ready to buy another house in a few years.

While I've used rentals to move myself in-state, I'm intimidated by the idea of driving one cross country with a car in tow. My plan is to use either an interstate moving service or a pod service.

I presume the pod service would be cheaper, but generally by how much? And are there any "gotchas" about them vs. moving companies?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
We just submitted our first application over the weekend and I'm trying not to go crazy waiting for a decision tonight. There were 3 other applications submitted, and we're already pushing our luck with a small dog in a no pets building (they were cool with it for an additional fee, they just normally don't allow them), so I'm a negative nancy and I'm thinking one of the SWMs will be getting first dibs instead. :(

I hate apartment hunting. This was the second Saturday in a row devoted to walking around and seeing places. Everywhere we went there was a line of people waiting to check it out. Silverlake was the worst, 15-20 people all trying to see a one bedroom back house that was the size of a water heater closet.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

For those looking to rent one site that I haven't seen is MLS. Basically people buy a house/condo and need to rent it out but the don't want to manage the property so they get a Realtor/mamagement firm to manage the property. Some may or may not post on craigslist but they definitely post on MLS search site. The best one I found was:

http://www.mlslistings.com/

I prefer to deal with MLS listing because craigslist, at least in our area, is full of crappy huge managed properties who post the same drat add day after day.

Yep, the MLS is the place to be. Get friendly with a Realtor who will let you pull up everything in the area. I'm signing a lease in a couple of days on a nice 2-bedroom townhouse in an excellent area (a bit rural, but very nice) with 1380 square feet and a ton of community amenities (five pools including one that's resort style, 10+ tennis courts, several fitness clubs, extensive walking and biking trails, etc) for 950 a month. In comparison, the apartment I'm about to move out of (985 square foot, roach infested), was 830 a month, and renewal of lease would have been 885 a month. Those sites that claim to "search the MLS" won't cut it, you'll need to get with an actual Realtor.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 12, 2011

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
My move in date is August 15. I signed my lease in the first week of July. The previous tenants moved out on July 31st. Yet somehow, the town-mandated inspection that has to happen before a new tenant can move into an apartment is scheduled for... August 15 at noon?

I only found out about this two days ago when I called to ask when I could get the keys. Even up to like last Sunday, he was saying "Oh we'll still aim for the end of this week." Also, "It'll only take 30 min and I've never failed an inspection so I'm sure you'll be able to start moving in in the afternoon" is not really encouraging.

This is obviously not an immense problem, but it's pretty loving irritating. Especially for the person moving into my old apartment after me, whose move is now delayed 4+ hours, and also her use of the truck since we're sharing.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Trying to find an apartment in NYC is driving me insane. It's worse for me because I'm a grad student (my scholarship is a modest but respectable 37k so it's not like I have no income) from Canada with no US credit history. My dad will help me out with the rent, I can go up to $1200/mth and he would totally be a guarantor for me but he's also Canadian and a lot of people won't accept that. Well, some people will accept it, but they want 6 months OR MORE rent up front, which is completely ridiculous and beyond my means. Should I just go home or what?

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Are you looking to live solo, or with roommates?

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Crackpipe posted:

Are you looking to live solo, or with roommates?

I'd strongly prefer to live solo. It might seem picky, but I find it really hard to concentrate and do well in my studies when I don't have my own space to feel comfortable in.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
That's probably not going to be an option though. Especially in New York City with no credit history and not that much income. I'm with you about living alone, but you might have to get realistic. Have you looked into living with somebody from your grad program?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Edit: Nevermind

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Signing the lease tomorrow for a spot in a really nice 4-unit building on a super quiet street around the corner from our old neighborhood with lots of stuff to walk to. :cool:

Can't wait to get out of this lovely 'hood we're in now.

borealis
May 18, 2008

nemesis_hub posted:

Trying to find an apartment in NYC is driving me insane. It's worse for me because I'm a grad student (my scholarship is a modest but respectable 37k so it's not like I have no income) from Canada with no US credit history. My dad will help me out with the rent, I can go up to $1200/mth and he would totally be a guarantor for me but he's also Canadian and a lot of people won't accept that. Well, some people will accept it, but they want 6 months OR MORE rent up front, which is completely ridiculous and beyond my means. Should I just go home or what?

Just curious, what neighborhoods are you looking in?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Is there somewhere I can check online to easily see what ISPs are available for a new address, and possibly user ratings of them? I've been looking up individual providers and its kind of tedious (no FiOS service, sadly).

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

borealis posted:

Just curious, what neighborhoods are you looking in?

I've been looking all over the place pretty much. Crown Heights, Windsor Terrace, Jackson Heights, Elmhurst, Inwood, etc.

I may have just found a place that'll accept an extra 3 months rent upfront on top of the initial 1 month rent + security deposit, which I think I will probably do. There doesn't really seem to be any way around it except if I find a place where I can just deal directly with the owner and establish a relationship with them (this happened in one place, they "just had a good feeling about me" but the apartment was a bit lacking for the price). They want to apply that extra 3 months to the end of the lease though, and not the beginning, which is what I was hoping for. Is this standard? It just irks me a little that I'm basically giving them a huge deposit for all that time (yes I know I'm not "losing" the money in the end).

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'd say it would be standard. They want those three months rent in case you flake out on them.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Just make sure you're dealing with the actual landlord. I've lived in a number of cities, and NYC is absolutely overrun with people renting apartments they don't actually have any authority to rent. Fun times when you move in, only for the real landlord to notice that you're living there. (It happens)

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Moving 2 hours north this sunday, first day of work is monday morning. I didn't realize exactly how much poo poo I had until I had to measure it out to figure out a U-Haul size. Hopefully my girl, my friend, and myself can get it done in a day. Changing addresses on everything for the 4th time in a year sucks rear end.

edit for advice
My first apartment hunt I looked at 5 different places, the second place I looked at had everything I wanted for a decent price, but I looked at all of them anyway and wasted 2 days. This time the first place I checked was absolutely amazing, I knew I couldn't do any better, so instead of wasting the rest of my day I got that ball rolling on the spot. If you have a list of amenities you want both in the complex and in the surrounding area and the first complex you look at is perfect, it's a waste of time to look at 4 different places for the same price. Do your research before you tour, schedule your top 2 choices as your first tours, and if one of them stands out pull the trigger. And loving get something that YOU like. It doesn't matter if your friends think it'll be a great place to party or your girlfriend likes the shower pressure. gently caress them, you're the one that has to live there.

Pudgygiant fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 20, 2011

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Pudgygiant posted:

If you have a list of amenities you want both in the complex and in the surrounding area and the first complex you look at is perfect, it's a waste of time to look at 4 different places for the same price. Do your research before you tour, schedule your top 2 choices as your first tours, and if one of them stands out pull the trigger. And loving get something that YOU like. It doesn't matter if your friends think it'll be a great place to party or your girlfriend likes the shower pressure. gently caress them, you're the one that has to live there.

This is some of the best advice in the thread.

When I was looking for my current place, my roomie was all about checking every single apartment in our price range in the entire city. Which is insane.

It took some persuading to get him to realize that if you find a place that is exactly what you want, exactly where you want to live, and charges exactly what you want to pay... go for it right away. Because it probably won't be there after you've spent another aggravating weekend or two looking at places that most likely will not measure up.

Your friends don't live there. They won't be living there. If they're really your friends, they'll visit you in whatever building you move into.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I've looked over a this thread however there seems to be sparse information on moving companies and such. I have some things in storage near Boston and would like to move them to my current residence in Portland. I previously did not have the cash to move them, so now, I'm attempting to do so.

Mainly high value or sentimental items to me such as flat screen TV, 2 paintings, expensive mattress, leather couch, and 10 boxes. Should I fly back to Boston and supervise the search for movers? I'm trying to avoid my stuff trashed or held hostage for $10K+ by shady movers.

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 28, 2011

Tatos
Nov 19, 2008
I need to find a place in Santa Cruz. I arrive there at the 4th and have a room at my university for 5 nights. Then I will get kicked out.

Being from Germany I don't have any renters history or whatever, and I will probably pay the rent in cash every month. Do you think that's a problem?

I hope it's going to be possible to find something in those days...does someone have some advice on how to increase my chances of success?

And of course one final question: Does someone happen to know someone in SC with a room for me? (just asking...)

THANKS! :cheers:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Tatos posted:

I need to find a place in Santa Cruz. I arrive there at the 4th and have a room at my university for 5 nights. Then I will get kicked out.

Being from Germany I don't have any renters history or whatever, and I will probably pay the rent in cash every month. Do you think that's a problem?

I hope it's going to be possible to find something in those days...does someone have some advice on how to increase my chances of success?

And of course one final question: Does someone happen to know someone in SC with a room for me? (just asking...)

Wait, why are you getting kicked out after 5 nights?

If you are coming in from abroad I'd seriously recommend just going with whatever the university's upperclassmen housing options are. That way you don't have to worry at all about scummy landlords, deposits, furniture, or any of that junk.

Tatos
Nov 19, 2008
Hey, I get kicked out because it`s only for house hunters...anyway I can't afford the university housing options, they start at 1000 bucks so thats no option...

newscientist675
May 6, 2007

by Ozmaugh
I need to get out of my basement, want a three bedroom flat because of over crowding. Willing to swap one three room basement comes with chains, torture chamber, four eighteen year old girls. Will pretty much do anything you tell them lots of love dad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

newscientist675 posted:

I need to get out of my basement, want a three bedroom flat because of over crowding. Willing to swap one three room basement comes with chains, torture chamber, four eighteen year old girls. Will pretty much do anything you tell them lots of love dad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

it puts the lotion on the skin

Meeper
Jan 1, 2007
I work for a removalist company, and there's a couple of points I'd like to clarify-

Rolling items in newsprint is a bad, bad idea. Newspaper ink comes off and stains stuff, especially light coloured ceramics and glass. Normally what we do is roll the first layer in plain butcher's paper, and then do all the padding/packing around the items with newsprint. That way you get the economic benefits of cheap paper while not messing with your stuff.

Also, about boxes... I understand boxes are expensive, I really do. We get charged through the teeth for them. However, they really are the best option for a fast move; I can stack four teachest boxes on a fridge trolley and make one house-to-truck trip, but other boxes I have to move them one or two at a time... If you're charged an hourly rate (which is actually the cheapest way to move a short distance) then the time we take is your bill at the end, so using proper boxes can actually reduce your move cost. The other thing to keep in mind is that if you're moving things into storage, or doing international or interstate moving, real removal boxes are designed for it, and will protect your goods much better.

If anyone wants to know anything about moving or packing, feel free to ask

BRB MAKIN BACON
Mar 22, 2007

I am Tuxedo Mask.
Russell Wilson, look into your heart and find the warrior within.
It is your destiny.

~:Seattle Seahawks:~
Due to specific circumstances, my friends and I (4 people total) are looking for a new place to live. Long story short does anybody know of a good website or other resource to locate private landlords instead of those that go through companies?

My lack of credit history is a real pain in my rear end.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Tatos posted:

I'm assuming your University will have some variation of an International Student Office. They can help you do paperwork to get a bank account so you can use checks to pay the rent and fees. I'm betting they could also hook you up with other foreign students in a similar position.

I just finished a move that was full of craigslist bullshit and realestate agents that never called back. My most valuable lesson was checking out a place in a less desirable area, to find out it was right by a college and a police station to help keep crime in check; huge place for (New Jersey Standards) cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
I've been told i'm best off finding a Realtor to assist in finding a place to live in Boston.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a realtor or how to best find one?