Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Trying to find an apartment in NYC is driving me insane. It's worse for me because I'm a grad student (my scholarship is a modest but respectable 37k so it's not like I have no income) from Canada with no US credit history. My dad will help me out with the rent, I can go up to $1200/mth and he would totally be a guarantor for me but he's also Canadian and a lot of people won't accept that. Well, some people will accept it, but they want 6 months OR MORE rent up front, which is completely ridiculous and beyond my means. Should I just go home or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Crackpipe posted:

Are you looking to live solo, or with roommates?

I'd strongly prefer to live solo. It might seem picky, but I find it really hard to concentrate and do well in my studies when I don't have my own space to feel comfortable in.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

borealis posted:

Just curious, what neighborhoods are you looking in?

I've been looking all over the place pretty much. Crown Heights, Windsor Terrace, Jackson Heights, Elmhurst, Inwood, etc.

I may have just found a place that'll accept an extra 3 months rent upfront on top of the initial 1 month rent + security deposit, which I think I will probably do. There doesn't really seem to be any way around it except if I find a place where I can just deal directly with the owner and establish a relationship with them (this happened in one place, they "just had a good feeling about me" but the apartment was a bit lacking for the price). They want to apply that extra 3 months to the end of the lease though, and not the beginning, which is what I was hoping for. Is this standard? It just irks me a little that I'm basically giving them a huge deposit for all that time (yes I know I'm not "losing" the money in the end).