Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meeper
Jan 1, 2007
I work for a removalist company, and there's a couple of points I'd like to clarify-

Rolling items in newsprint is a bad, bad idea. Newspaper ink comes off and stains stuff, especially light coloured ceramics and glass. Normally what we do is roll the first layer in plain butcher's paper, and then do all the padding/packing around the items with newsprint. That way you get the economic benefits of cheap paper while not messing with your stuff.

Also, about boxes... I understand boxes are expensive, I really do. We get charged through the teeth for them. However, they really are the best option for a fast move; I can stack four teachest boxes on a fridge trolley and make one house-to-truck trip, but other boxes I have to move them one or two at a time... If you're charged an hourly rate (which is actually the cheapest way to move a short distance) then the time we take is your bill at the end, so using proper boxes can actually reduce your move cost. The other thing to keep in mind is that if you're moving things into storage, or doing international or interstate moving, real removal boxes are designed for it, and will protect your goods much better.

If anyone wants to know anything about moving or packing, feel free to ask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meeper
Jan 1, 2007

PotatoMasher posted:

If you are planning mini-storing any upolstered furniture look into buying some stretch film (like they use on pallets) to cover the fabric bits and keep them from getting soiled. You can get it at U-Haul too. Don't use it on leather though because leather sweats and will discolor.

This is good general advice, but if you live anywhere remotely humid, plastic around your mattress will cause mould just incredibly fast. We store mattresses wrapped in blankets; our mattress bags are for keeping off dust during the actual move.

Meeper
Jan 1, 2007

xeria posted:

(and apparently some states actually legally require moving companies to do so rather than giving you a ballpark and calling it good)
Any more information on this? We (my family) run a very large Australian removalist company and we've been eyeing off the US for a while, and I hadn't heard anything about this?

Meeper
Jan 1, 2007

vonnegutt posted:

-Go to the liquor store for boxes. They're reinforced and a good size - easy to carry but still hold a lot of stuff. Do not pack giant boxes, they will be a pain in the rear end every step of the way.
This might be company brainwashing talking, but I've been involved with professional removalists my whole life, and I've never seen items broken that are packed into purpose-built moving boxes, and every week I see someone who's packed into cheap boxes with dozens of broken gear. If you don't have expensive or breakable things, it's less of a problem, but if you have expensive dinnerware or anything remotely breakable then shell out for real boxes, paper and tape. Even if your stuff isn't breakable, real moving boxes are WAY easier to pack into a truck, and the easier it is, the faster your move gets done.

Meeper
Jan 1, 2007
The issue isn't generally that other boxes get crushed, it's that they don't stack as easy and this leads to falls, etc. Most of the time, it really couldn't matter less, but I figure if you have the money to have things worth thinking about protecting (china, etc), you can pay for proper boxes to move them in. Decent providers will buy back your boxes as well, so it makes them a little cheaper. Very much YMMV; it's a simple fact of averages that a lot of people will never have a problem with wine or fruit boxes.

Reading this thread is interesting; are fixed-price quote removalists the only option in America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meeper
Jan 1, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much my logic, I'm guessing mattress bag with a really good duct-tape seal would be the best way to handle it. I'm just concerned about storing these things in an uninsulated building, and I'm not really sure if there is room for it.

Are you in a cold environment or hot environment? Humid or dry? If it's going to approach humid or hot at all, do NOT use a mattress bag, the condensation on the inside of the bag will lead incredibly quickly to mold growth. When we store mattresses, we just wrap them in our storage blankets.