Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Kind of along these lines with someone who would be at home more frequently, I just recently went from a full-time office job to being self-employed / contracting and primarily working from home. The tricky part though is that my current lease will be up in September and I want to move somewhere that offers more interesting things to do and potentially lower cost of living. My biggest concern though is how does someone who is primarily self-employed prove their income to a prospective landlord without traditional pay stubs? The common advice I saw online was to use things such as invoices, contracts, and bank statements to prove I have a source of income. I'm in a weird spot there however as my bank accounts don't have clean records going back more than 1-2 years as I was going between jobs around then and I know it could reflect poorly on me if a landlord asks for that.

I do have the option to stay at my current place of course but many of those decisions were made relative to the commute I used to have. At least I have proof to show to any potential landlord that I've been living here a while and paying fairly substantial rent.

Sorry if I'm asking for redundant information here, I've been reading different things online but it's still pretty uncertain at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

photomikey posted:

I have had self-employed folks live in my pads. I think most small-time landlords take a similar approach, but
1) I want to know if whatever you do is viable. That someone would pay money for whatever service/product you offer, and that they would pay a price that would keep you afloat. I don't really want you to prove this with paperwork, I want to hear "tutor" and then think "what would I pay for a tutor for my kid" and then think "how many clients do I think a tutor could rack up" and then do that multiplication and decide if you make enough money to survive. After that... I want you to prove it with paperwork.
2) I want your credit to be good/great, some landlords don't put a ton of stock in this but if I look and see that you bought a Toyota and made 50 monthly payments on time and didn't miss one, and that you've had varying credit card balances over years and have never been more than 30 days late, I will take a LOT of risk on you.
3) This will be a sticky one for you, I want you to have a track record in working for yourself, maybe a year or so.

Briefly, what do you do as a self-employed contractor? Do you contract for one place or do you have a lot of clients? Do you have any contracts to show?

When you say "just recently" went from full-time regular to contracting, how long is "just recently"?

I'm doing web and general software development, I do currently have 2 on-going paid contracts with others in negotiations. I'm a ways outside of LA so anything here is still pretty expensive though looking out of state is a enticing prospect right now too.

My credit isn't completely terrible but could stand to be improved but still in the mid-high 600's in general. I have no delinquencies at least but few major loans I've taken out that I could point to.

This change was made in March and I'd likely be looking starting in July, so in that context it would all be pretty recent history which I know will be a tricky subject.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

George H.W. oval office posted:

Haven’t tried them yet but saw it in the product recommendation thread with high praise.

https://www.amazon.com/LightDims-Original-Strength-Electronics-Appliances/dp/B009WSJNCW

I had those and they weren't too bad, but it doesn't completely block the light, especially for stronger LEDs, plus if you have a lot of LEDs to get rid of or awkward ones like on network switches it might not work.

I resorted to electrical tape and even opening up a few things and snapping off the LEDs myself. If you don't need your router/modem/monitors running while you try to sleep you can try putting it all on one power strip and having a easy way to shut that off.

Earplugs and sleep masks are also a god send for living in a apartment I've found and life in general if you're a light sleeper.

Edit: Also, anyone have much luck with any particular cleaning solution for removing mold / light rust from their bathrooms? Mine was pretty grody when I moved in but I managed to clean a fair bit of it but its managed to resurface like a motherfucker, even to the point of getting into my shower mat / curtain. I've used some bleach and lime-away solutions already that helped but didn't get rid of the entire mess.

Nanomachine Son fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 27, 2017

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Sorry if this is re-treading tired ground, but does anyone know what a rough quote should be to hire movers for a move in the range of 10 miles or less? It's not a lot of items, mostly large ones like a TV, couch, and bed, but after dealing with the hassle of moving a few times I'd rather get some professional help. I've never dealt with it before but the best I can find online is to budget at least $500 (and presumably 10-20% as cash tips?).

I have no idea if COVID is going to throw and wrench into things either, I imagine it introduces difficulty for getting anyone to come inspect your place for a proper quote at any rate. I've still got a few months to figure it all out so I'm trying to budget what it'll wind up costing me once I need to move out.

Southern California (Orange / LA county) for reference.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Thanks for the info. What’s the appropriate amount to tip drivers or is that accounted for these days?

The only major limiting factor with my current place is an elevator, so hopefully it’d only take an hour or two to get my stuff out of here.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Weird question, but as of a couple weeks ago I got some downstairs neighbors who love to smoke. Not something I’d give a poo poo about, but I guess the way the AC vents are rigged in this place means that all the weed/cigarette smell gets into my vents for the next hour or so.

Is there any good way to block the smell by putting something in the vent or something? I can’t actually close any of the vents in this apartment so it’s a no go. They also manage to be the loudest motherfuckers on the planet despite being downstairs too.

I haven’t bothered reaching out to them or the leasing office either, since I’m planning on moving in a couple months regardless and don’t feel like getting into it with people who may or may not be assholes. I’m guessing there might not be any good solution short of that though, but I’d love to be proven wrong.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Thanatosian posted:

I'm in the market for a new desk (my current one doesn't fit my room very well). Probably something around 5' long (I've got a small room, but depth isn't a big concern in the available space), height adjustable would be nice, and... maybe some storage of some sort? Shelves or drawers? Or not.

Where is a good place to start? I don't mind paying a bit for something decent, but I don't want to overspend on cheap bullshit. This is a lot easier with computer parts than furniture.

I don't think they have any adjustable ones but I've ended up using desks from this company https://www.bushfurniture.com/. I'm pretty sure Office Depot carries their stuff if you have one around you.

The main thing I liked was that most of their stuff is fairly modular and the desks themselves are a basic flat surface, so good for mounting stuff like power strips along the back or monitor arms. Only big downside is the first desk I got from them had a nasty gouge in it from shipping, everything I've got since has been spotless and the one time I needed replacement parts they were free.

For cheaper stuff most people I know swear by the IKEA desks, I just found them a little too cheap feeling and sat too low for me to use comfortably.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Is there any thread or general guide for soundproofing out there? I searched around and couldn’t find much.

I ended up moving to a detached house, which has been pretty great, but I’ve found that this place is extremely susceptible to low frequency noise, usually bass from car stereos. This place isn’t well insulated and some of the windows seem to be single paned. Even noise that doesn’t seem that loud outdoors seems to reverb like crazy inside.

I’ve been looking into various solutions but can’t find what would work. Mass loaded vinyl is out of the question since I can’t rip up the drywall, nor would I want to make huge permanent renovations in a rental.

I don’t have much of anything on my walls right now and I’m wondering how much of a difference that could make. Been looking at foam acoustic panels too, though I think that’d only do more for controlling echo inside a room.

I’m guessing my options are pretty limited without being able to add insulation or MLV. Still, I’m wondering if anyone else has been down this rabbit hole and if they found any other decent solution that didn’t break the bank.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
I had a weird experience when looking for places a while back where a place was put up for rent and the tour was a self-service thing run by a website where you got a code online and grabbed the keys off a lockbox. That didn't seem overly disconcerting, but the place was listed for a rent that was 20-30% lower than what I would've expected for the region, had a pretty inaccurate square foot estimate from the listing, and a variety of these printouts talking about how everything was handled via property management and "you'll never have to meet the owners" type language.

I was too put-off from that experience to even make an application on it, figuring it just had to be too good to be true and that it was some sort of weird scam. It did seem like it was linked to some kind of legitimate site / property management system though which left me uncertain. Now that I've been looking at places again I've come across a few listings that seem kind of similar and I'm wondering if I was just wrong or if there's a pattern with scams targeting people with appealing rentals.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

EricBauman posted:

Fairly likely that they booked the place for a short "vacation" through airbnb.
That fits with the lockbox idea and will lead to properties that have been made appealing at no cost to the scammer.

You rent a house for a week for $300. Have twenty showings lined up to rent it for $1500 a month.
Half of them flake out because they suspect something (like you did).
The others, you all tell 'Congrats, you got the house. Pay me the first month's rent and a safety deposit'
Half of them flake out at that stage, but it's still a cool $15k payday on a $300 investment, and no one can find you

The place wasn’t furnished which made me question the AirBnB thing. I’m sure that’s still possible though with enough effort to clean a place up. Makes me wish there was a more obvious place to check if a given address was a AirBnB since I’ve also had a bad time living in apartments where the neighbor unit is one.

I still wonder if it was potentially legit and the owner messed up with the incorrect space estimate and whatever service was handling it went off that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Boris Galerkin posted:

How are people finding apartments nowadays? Is there a go-to website because the last time I did this I think I used Craigslist, nearly a decade ago.

I’ve had decent luck with Zillow and Zumper. Their communication tools are useless for getting anyone to respond to you though. I just end up scouting places I like and calling them directly.