Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

This looks like a good a place as any for my question; if there's a dedicated appliance shopping megathread somewhere, feel free to direct me towards it. I live in a tiny urban apartment with no laundry. Nearest laundromat is about as far away as my parents' house so I've been taking it up there on the occasional weekend, or just washing small loads directly in the bathtub. Recently I've come across some "portable" washing machines that look like a good fit for my situation. However the reviews for most of these seem to be filled with instructions on how to "actually" use them since they don't work as expected and/or come with little to no instructions. I'm pretty sure I can handle my own laundry, but that pattern does leave me with some reservations.

Budget: $100-200, lower better but willing to go a bit higher for something of better quality.
Space: No room to have it permanently "installed" anywhere - these look to be a good size to park in an unused corner of my kitchen and then haul into the bathtub to run a load. The 30-50 pounds they seem to average isn't a problem for me. And I understand they're not really going to be big enough to handle towels, sheets, rugs, etc.
Power/Water: As mentioned I plan on lugging it into the bathtub to run it.

So the questions:

0) First off, has anyone used one of this type of machine? Is it a good idea, or should I just start keeping a roll of quarters around for the laundromat?

1) I haven't been able to find any B&M retailers that sell these things, and I'd at least like to get a hands-on look at one before buying. Any idea where to look IRL for something like this? Tried sears, best buy, and home depot so far.

2) Would something like this have any resale value after being used for a year or two? In case I don't renew my lease and move to a place with on-site laundry, having this around with no use would probably be more of a liability than anything.

3) And I guess any other considerations? I know I'm going to have to figure out some sort of filling system (dumping water in by buckets or letting the shower just rain into it seem to be popular) but I'm sure there's a bunch of things I haven't even thought about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I don't see anything prohibiting it explicitly, and there's a provision in there that I'm responsible for any damage caused by water resulting from appliances that aren't part of the building, so that would seem to cover it. I'll ask anyway when I drop off my rent, I have a decent relationship with my landlord and he's been extremely flexible with other things before.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I'm looking for a window fan, of the kind that slots in between the sash and the frame, that I can leave in year-round and will keep most of the wind out when it's off. My apartment's pretty holey to begin with so a little more isn't going to be a big deal but my current window fan, when off, is just as bad as having the window open halfway, which means I have to put it in and take it out constantly. I found a couple that seem to be what I want but reviews seem to indicate that these don't actually close when off.

Things like a thermostat or remote are nice-to-haves, not required features, although reversible flow is close to but not quite mandatory.