Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

bl4d3 posted:

Don't assume a long-haul move is out of your budget range. I costed out a long-haul (~600 miles) move and a Uhaul + loading/unloading (thanks to my bad back!) + gas + misc, and it was only $300 more or so to hire a local company to move everything. That $300-$400 was worth it not to make the same trip back, and then drive my car back to my new house (being a single guy and all).

Hiring movers is definitely the way to go. I just moved 4,500km and paid $3,900 to have our stuff moved. A 14' U-Haul would've cost me about $2900 plus god knows how much in gas and I would've had to do all the loading and I would have had to drive a drat truck through the rocky mountains, and that wouldn't have been fun. In the end it was a little more expensive than doing it all myself but it's worth it for the peace of mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

FogHelmut posted:

Not entirely sure if this is the right thread -

I am moving from Philly area to the Southern California area in 6 months. I am aiming for the first week of September. Right now, I'm trying to figure out costs involved.

I live with my wife in a 2 bedroom condo. Most of our furniture is Ikea, so that's not coming with us. I could go either way on the sofas, but the whole set was $900 like 4 years ago. If it costs more to move it, then its gone. Could go either way on the mattress too, but leaning towards taking it with us. So we basically have clothes, kitchen stuff, and some random items. Moving should be what? $2000-$3000?

Then we are planning on selling the wife's car and driving mine across. This might be another thread, but figuring $1500 rounding up for this bit.

Then I have to figure out how to sell my place, or manage renting it out from 3000 miles away. This is the hard part I think. I don't know where to begin with this.

I do have family and friends there to mooch off of if things don't go perfectly on that end, so I'm not worried about that. It's dealing with the things I have here.

Am I way off here?

When my wife and I moved across Canada 3 years ago, we got quotes on a few moving companies and ended up paying $0.89/lb for about 3000lbs of stuff plus fuel surcharges, taxes and so on. we ended up paying about $4,000 in moving expenses. In retrospect, I would have liked to get rid of a lot more furniture and books and other heavy stuff. We kept about half of our clothes and our electronics, jewelery and valuables with us in the car since the truck would be arriving in Vancouver about a week after we did and sometimes things happen and sometimes stuff gets "lost". Inventory your stuff before you hand it over to the movers and keep anything that you can't replace with you if possible.

We drove about 5 days and budgeted $175/day for gas and food and $75/night for motels. We would buy sandwiches, fruit and bottled water from grocery stores in the morning and that mostly kept us from surviving on gas station food for a week. Decide how long you want to spend per day driving (we managed about 10 hrs/day with breaks every 2 or so hours) and find motels along your route and book them ahead of time to save a few bucks and keep yourself from having to drive around buttfuck nowhere at 9pm after being in the car all day looking for a place to sleep.

We were renting when we moved so I can't really help you with the condo, but if you liked the agent that sold you your condo, get in touch with them and let them know that you're selling. You should be able to let them know that you don't want to hand over the keys until a specific date. Alternately, there are property management services that can rent your condo for you but I don't have any experience with those either and I can't see that being worth the expense if you're still paying the mortgage unless the rent you can get is significantly more. Your real estate agent would have a better handle on the rental market and recommendations for property management.

Edit - There's a rental property thread in BFC that might help more with renting your condo and I'd be happy to try to answer any other questions you have.

Rockzilla fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 3, 2015