Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quills
Mar 24, 2007
I'm having a hard time settling on an apartment right now.

Me and my friends have all graduated and want to move back to Baltimore. We found an apartment at a great price with an absurd number of bedrooms near a great bar district and in a decent neighborhood.

Its located above a business and the landlord wasn't in, but an employee let me access the apartment. I could not ask questions of anyone and I was kind of weirded out that we were allowed access to the place without any kind of supervision. The carpets (ugh) are disgustingly dirty and stained and the place has a really odd smell. Via email the landlord says they'll replace some of the badly stained carpet, shampoo the rest again, etc. They claim the odd ( and overwhelming) smell in the apartment is due to the deodorizer used. It doesn't look like the carpet was cleaned ever and some of the bathrooms and kitchen are dirty.

I think this is her first or second time as a landlord for an apartment, a lot of things just don't seem done well. New windows and closet doors have been installed but they don't fit well at all. The dryer, which sits next to a window, does not have its ventilation going anywhere and actually leads back into the apartment! I was told that the previous tenant requested that it not lead outside?

Is it reasonable to ask that the apartment be professionally cleaned prior to move in and some of the stuff be repaired? The price is ridiculous and seems perfect for our number of roommates but some issues are just sticking with me.

edit: After some research, it appears that the dryer vent won't kill us if its an electric dryer. Would the added humidity from that be appropriate for the Baltimore area winters at all?

Quills fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quills
Mar 24, 2007
Found a great rowhome and hopefully we'll be moving in soon. Met with the current tenants (without the landlord present) and they gave us the lowdown about it and there doesn't seem to be any substantial problems with the place.

The one issue is that its a really old Baltimore rowhome with narrow and short stairs, so moving a bed with a boxspring up 3 flights of stairs is a no go. What are some good mattresses that don't require boxsprings? I've never purchased a bed before.