Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'm looking at apartments and a lot of them don't have a place for a full-size dishwasher. Has anyone got experience with a desktop-sized one that is about half the size of a normal one, and sits on the kitchen counter, with plumbing just connected to the sink?

Also, whats the opinion on getting a washer-dryer, instead of two separate machines for washing clothes and then drying them? What about dryers that don't need a ventilation shaft and put all the evaporated water into a tub you empty manually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What's the secret to putting up painting/posters etc? It seems like a lot of places won't allow you to put holes in the wall for picture hanging's.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What things should I look at for a bed when renting? A lot of beds I've looked at don't look very mobile or moveable. And as a related question, if you have the space, is bigger = better?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'm looking at moving out and most of the apartments in my price range only have communal laundries.

For those living in small (cheap) apartments, what's life like living with communal laundries? A chance to meet other people or too much of a hassle to live without your own washing machine?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
A place I'm looking at is a top floor apartment at the back of the building 4 stories up, no lift. Probably has good views though.

Anyone got experience at living up that many stairs, and would you do it again if you didn't need to?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
This thread got me to move out of home.

I'm thinking of buying huge room sized rugs to go on the thin carpet of the apartment I'm moving too. It's pretty old and crummy, but I would think it would help keep the base carpet clean/undamaged in the long term, add some much needed colour to the boring beige, and help with insulation and noise issues.

Would they make much difference in heat/cold/noise though? What should I look for in rugs? Every rug store I see amazingly has a SALE SALE SALE sign on the front, that never changes. Anything to avoid?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What's the opinion on desktop dishwashers? Moving to an apartment that will require it id I don't want to do everything myself. Anything to watch out for?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Went to do the inspection report. Many things broken, including no smoke alarm (which is a legal requirement here). This is fortunate as the old gas stove grill puts out so much smoke it would cause any smoke alarm to go off. Agent says smoke detector will be installed Monday. I probably need to replace the stove myself to stop it filling the apartment with gas from the dodgy hot plates before it fills the apartment with smoke.

Bathroom has zero ventilation - the window is painted over. A four foot patch of mould above the shower HAS been fixed at any rate after the roof was pained. Agent says it may take "weeks" to get a quote to install a vent or get the window opened.

The lounge room windows won't open (more paint) and the bedroom window won't close.

Is it normal for double deadlocks not to be able to open on the inside without a key? If there's a fire and I don't have a key to the door to escape, I'm 3 floors up and doomed. I'm going to get the lock changed anyway.

There is a distinct stench of someone smoking dope 3 apartments down which gave me a splitting headache every time I walked past. The stench of the smoke was not much dissipated by the stench of strong incense that was infesting the entranceway later.

And I found a news report saying someone died in a top floor apartment after a painter noticed someone "tied to a chair and apparently dead". The police commented that it was "not suspicious". It may have not been my apartment - it's a 50/50 chance it was.

Al in all, today was not a good day.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Still in the process of moving in. The landlord sent some handymen around who fixed the broken/stuck windows, doors handles and smoke detectors. Getting a quote to pay 50/50 of a new gas stove. I'm feeling a lot happier.

The cupboards are very old and/or bare wood - I would like to line them with something, but as it's a rental can't be permanent. What's a nice liner for kitchen and bedroom cupboards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
My apartment is at one end of a balcony with a window at the end that has a sorta-bent flysceen. I'd like to put something green there to lighten up the dull grey concrete, but is there some sort of tree or bush I can put there that will help keep (flying) insects away from the window? I have a lot of room for something reasonably big to go on the ground in a pot. Would be nice if it was Australian native too.