Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Ashcans posted:

Edit: Looking at your summary, I think that 'Carpet needs replacing, three years left' actually means that they are saying that they will need to replace the carpet in ~3 years, and they are charging you for the amount the carpet has depreciated over your tenancy - ie, if they re-carpet every five years, and it costs $1000, they would charge tenants $200 a year to cover this cost. This is total bullshit, because its exactly what is meant by 'normal wear and tear'. They get to charge you for making GBS threads on the carpet or tearing it up, not for walking on it.

Not exactly. What it means is that they have a set lifespan for the carpet (in my experience, 7 years is pretty normal), and that they had to replace it 3 years early, so they charged 3/7ths of the total cost to the tenant.

Automatic, I have been in similar situations the last 2 times I moved out, and some research plus a few certified letters have resolved the issues to my satisfaction. Like Ashcans says, most of the time they're just writing to see if you're motivated enough to call them on it, and if so, they'll make a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Authentic You posted:

I have a question about some stuff a former tenant left at my house. This guy lived in my house last summer, but left a few things that he said he'd move to his new place later, and then a few months after he moved out, he went batshit and we had a huge falling out. Or rather, he had a huge falling out with me and my friend/housemate and has since been avoiding us like the plague. This includes not ever getting his stuff from my house. I'm not going out of my way to remind him (because I'd rather not deal with him), but I'd be happy to give him his stuff if he said something.

We're moving in a couple months, and it would be nice to unload some of this stuff that I don't want sitting around in our new place. I've poked around some PA property abandonment laws, but it doesn't seem to cover issues like stuff getting abandoned in your care and whether you can legally take possession over it if the original owner never recovers it after a certain period of time - what I'm finding seems to apply to real estate property and such.

Does anyone have knowledge about this sort of situation or at least know where to look to learn about it?

This isn't really answering your question, but I was in a similar situation a few years ago, and trust me, it's not worth it. Just get all his stuff in one place so it will be easy and fast to pick it up, give him a call and tell him come get it within x days, because you're getting ready to move, or you're throwing it out. That way, you'll see him one more time, then you never have to see him again.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

2 questions about my gooncave.

First, I live in a (rented) older house. A strange, yellow-orange discoloration has started to appear on my bathroom ceiling. I asked maintenance about it, and they said it wasn't mold, and was nothing to worry about. They're pretty lazy though, so I want a second opinion. Apologies for the camera phone pictures, I can probably find a better camera if needed. Any idea what this stuff is?

Secondly, I'm looking for a list of household chores that I can appropriate. I'm not looking for the normal, day to day stuff. I've got that stuff pretty under control. I'm looking for an exhaustive list compiled by a crazy person. Something that really covers every crazy thing you can do to clean your house. This seems good, and it's what I'm using for now, but it comes from a website with far too few animated gifs (ok, the gifs part is optional, I just want an exhaustive list, and wanted to know if anyone had a good one).

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Mean Bean posted:

That my friend is ceiling grime and condensation from the shower. In other words, wash your walls and ceiling. Your place probably housed a smoker at one time.

Awesome, thanks. I've cleaned other parts of the wall, but I didn't want to mess with that if it was mold or something. Any suggestions for the solvent?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Grocery stores usually have good banana/apple boxes too.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Yeah, PadMapper is/was great. Send an email to craigslist about it, I'd love to see it come back.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Jay Dub posted:

My apartment complex has a very explicit "No nails" policy written into my lease in regard to hanging pictures.

You probably checked this already, but my last several leases also had an explicit no nails policy, except a paragraph or two later they say that small nails to hang pictures are ok as long as you patch holes when you leave. They were just trying to keep huge nails out of the walls.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

I finally found a place! It's on the higher end of my price range, but still affordable, and it's a 1 bedroom instead of a bachelor suite, which is for the better. Because I'm unemployed they want 3 months rent up front (I have at least 6 months rent/utilities/food saved up so that's no problem), but they also want tenant's insurance (which I also have budgeted for). I've been poking around, but I'm not exactly sure what my options are in Canada. Does anyone have any reccomendations or places to compare what's available?

Not sure if it is different in Canada from the US, but the default recommendation is to get it from the same place as your car insurance, since it's cheap, and companies will often give a multi-policy discount that (in some cases) pays for the added insurance.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Otherwise, you can find used drills on craigslist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

tarepanda posted:

That's what I thought, but he said in the Small/Stupid questions thread that he's been doing it for years and apparently is extremely good at budgeting, with 20k in the bank... so maybe he's the exception to the rule? I dunno.

If you really have 20k in the bank, you might be able to get an exception by showing bank statements.