Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The HotPad link in the OP redirects to a kitten for sale website now:catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The ceiling in my apartment suffered some minor damage during hurricane Irene.
I called and let the property management people know about it right away, but they have been kind of dragging their feet about coming to look at/fix it.
Since then every rain storm has made it a little worse, I am going to take pictures of it and email them today to try and get them moving on it any sort of suggestions on how I can word it better?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah airflow and keeping things clean in the first place is key. Also realize that you just get used to how your own place smells, and you only really notice how other peoples homes smell when you enter them because you aren't used to it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If all else fails stay in some fleabag motel that rents by the week for a bit until you can scrape up enough for a decent first month/security deposit some place closer to the new job. That will also give you time to check out more than just one place and settle on it because you're desperate.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

Does anyone have any reccomendations or places to compare what's available?

Look up 3 or 4 different insurance companies and call and get quotes.
I pay $20 a month for renters insurance, it should be cheap.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

This might be a better question for pet island, but I thought I'd start here.
There's this cat that hangs around my door, I don't know if it is a stray or whatever.
My porch leading up to my door is wood and I think this cat has started pissing all over it. I'll come home after work and be getting my keys out to unlock the door and be hit with this overwhelming cat piss smell. I've been here 2 years and it's just started happening.
How do I:
A.Clean it up so my front door area doesn't smell like a public kitty rest room and
B.Keep this loving cat from pissing all over my stairs.

Thanks doods.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

vonnegutt posted:

It sucks that the cat decided to pee on your place because the smell is going to let other cats know it's 'okay' to go there. How big of an area is it? I would first give it a huge hose-down to try and eliminate as much smell as possible. Then, a liberal spraying of something like Nature's Miracle that is designed to eliminate urine smells. I've heard citrus peels are a way to keep cats out of a garden, so they might work to keep a cat away from your steps.

If you know it's just the one tomcat that's spraying, it might be worth trapping it and taking it to a shelter - humanely, of course, and once you've figured out if he belongs to someone or not.

I live in the middle of a small city so I'm not sure it's just one cat or not I just see this one hanging around all the time. Right up the road when I leave to go to work there are about 20 or so cats that all congregate in the same spot.
This is what my entrance way looks like

I picked up some natures miracle we'll see if that helps at all.
I'm going to scrub it from top to bottom with it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

FYI if the state catches wind of the insurance thing they can make it a huge pain in your rear end. I moved from Md to Va and about a year after I moved I got a bill from the state of Md for $5000 for not having insurance in that state even though my car hadn't been registered in Md or my legal address in Md for over a year at that point.
It's still something I'm straightening out and has been nothing but a problem for me.
Don't tempt fate get that poo poo straightened out.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

photomikey posted:

It's Sunday. On a weekday, I'd probably start at 9. Considering rolling in a little later today to be decent.

Can you ask the tenant who shares the wall and ask them when is best for them?
I work nights and weekends and sleep during the day, I'd be pissed if at 9 am some body started banging away.
My property manager knows my schedule and any time work has to be done is pretty good about phoning our emailing about it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Looking for a new place to rent. Found a place close to my work, rent is within my budget.
I contact the landlord and they start giving me a bunch of lines about having to handle the documents signing, key trasfer via dhl/fedex, and rent via western union.
This is 100% a scam right?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I figured it was to good to be true.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

What's the best way to clean a light-ish colored leather couch?
We bought a used banana yellow leather couch from some dude who's ex-wife had it custom made for pretty cheap just because he wanted it out of his life last year that's a little grungy.
Internet is all over the place with different ideas contridicting each other.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It's just dingy all over no big stains or whatever. It's a more modern shape so the yellow works for it. I'll try a small spot on the Ottoman and see how it goes.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

We recived a 30 day notice to vacate from our property managment company. It was to come by certified mail on friday but I couldn't pick it up until saturday(nice). Of course no one was there to answer the phone over the weekend so it was a lot of arguing about who's to blame for it.
I managed to speak to the woman that's over our property today and she said the owner simply wants the property back. We've been good tenants, have improved the property, are good neighbors. The property management lady couldn't give us a reason either just he wants the propriety back.
She's asking him to extend it till April to give us some more time to get a whole house packed and find another place.
I fear it's caused too much stress on our relationship already and I might be facing looking for an apartment for one again :(
Sorry just had to vent a bit about a lovely situation.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

We're month to month and the property manager told us the land lord just wants the property back.
The good news is I just spoke to our counties renters rights department and he told us the letter they sent isn't legal here they have to give us 60 days in the same rent cycle(our rent is due the 1st) and told us to pay our next month's rent and plan to move in 60 days.
This landlord is a slum lord and has legal sctions against him for locking tenets out of properties.

I've already found another place that is lower rent, better location, snd cooler. Making arrangements to go check it out ASAP.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

We've found out he's had judgements against him in the past for locking people out so we're preparing to make a move ASAP. If something like that does happen the county has already assured us they've got our back.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

This place looked fine when we moved in but over the 3 or so years we've been here a number of maintenance issues had come up that he's been unwilling to repair or half rear end repair it.
He used to live in this house himself and our neighbor here told us he was a shady lsnflord at other properties he owns. In hindsight had should have been our red flag, but everything had been going good up until now.
Have done viewings for new places lined up for this week and we'll see what those bring.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Trulia has been good for us so far too. Just watch out for any of them they don't seem to remove the places that have already been rented very quickly. We called about a bunch that looked perfect and they had been rented out for months. Now we're looking solely at places with ads placed in the last day or so.

Have a few places to look at tomorrow afternoon. Both look good on outside and from the pics we can see but you never really know until you set foot inside and walk around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Use a money order or certified check if you can. Prevents them from holding onto the check and depositing it 3 months later without notifying you and causing you to overdraft.:argh: