Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Golbez posted:

Our prospective landlord wants pay stubs to confirm our income. It's 2015 and we're both paid electronically. What's a viable substitute?

Print out your paystubs! Maybe ask if you can email a screenshot of them or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Sweet Custom Van posted:

Also recommending IKEA duvets. They have a four point (I think? Might be more) rating system with very clear explanations of what sort of temps each tier can handle. I'm a naturally super cold person living in New England with massive windows in a rehabbed mill building and two IKEA duvets keep me snug all year. I bought one of the highest rating and one of the second-to-lowest, and in the Spring/Fall I can use just the lighter one very happily. Further, they have the cheapest non-hideous duvet covers I have ever found, including places like TJ Maxx/Homegoods.

I just have a (cheap) light comforter and a heavy duvet cover and take out the comforter during the summer.

I've been really happy with this (queen size bed): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E03X00U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Can pretty much answer craigslist for any cheap anything, but I just snagged a 8x10 pottery barn looking rug off craigslist for $50 because the lady was moving into a new apartment that was already carpeted. It's super generic floral off white/ light brown type colors, but I just needed something to go cover the floor in my bedroom. Couldn't handle my dog waking me up everytime he moved with his nails click clacking on the floor. Bonus, the rug was even rubber backed so it doesn't slide around all over the place.

Besides that, I actually got a pretty cool tribal wool type rug from amazon. i think it was 5'x8' for ~$100. Also, I believe the seller was 1-800-get-a-rug or something.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I'm assuming you've considered a dresser? A metal clothes rack would work for clothes if you don't care that people can see your entire wardrobe. Here's a cheap option http://www.walmart.com/tp/clothes-rack

For your high storage, that's tough as I guess you would need to like loft off an area? Otherwise just buy tall shelving units. I use these for food as I don't have a pantry in my house. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004BDP674

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Yet at my place we've got at least 2 or 3 strays/outdoor cats, that live at my immediate neighbors... But we still have a few mice. Caught 3 so far. Thinking about growing catnip around my house...

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
buy 2 gallon buckets, drill holes in them, plant herbs you want (basil, mint, oregano?).

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

photomikey posted:

If you have a question, I know exactly what the lease says about it and I'd actually rather answer your questions than show you the lease (which you will immediately misinterpret).

If your lease is that easily misinterpreted, you should probably add further clarification in the actual written lease. The lease is in place to lay out the rules so the tenant does not need to take you at you word (or explanation)... everything is literally spelled out in a document.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Twice in 2 weeks? Honestly he might have just gotten carried away and didn't realize it was so loud. I've got to assume your neighbor is a reasonable person but can't stand confrontation. As soon as he heard the knocks he probably knew exactly what the problem is.

If it were me, I would probably give it a couple more instances before I went to the police. Maybe just call your landlord the next time it happens? Invite him/her over to hear the noise? If they don't give a poo poo about it, you should just start calling the police when it's too loud.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
[IANAL] It depends a lot on your location, but chances are your interpretation isn't correct. They should be able to enter to show potential buyers with proper notice.

You can ask your landlord if you can make an amicable split, if you want, though.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
There are some places that only require 12 hour warning to enter property. Even if they sell your unit during your lease, your new landlord will have to honor your lease terms.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

this_is_hard posted:

Cool, this doesn't answer a thing that I was asking, though!

Your options have been fully laid out for you above already, there's very rarely a magic technicality that will let you out of your lease. If you really want to wiggle out of your lease you need to talk to a lawyer. This isn't a common issue that free internet advice is going to solve.

E: the clause that you are trying to break the lease over is surely just to make it easier for the landlord to enter your property near the end of your tenancy. There is such a thing as the 'spirit of the contract' that means the contract would have to be really specific in order to bar the owner from trying to sell it during your stay. Rental contracts are far less technical than most other contacts.

extravadanza fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 8, 2016

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
You should probably install an array of foot activated piano pads. You know those big mats that have keys that you can step on?

Seriously though, looks like enough room for stuff like a shoe rack and a thin bench, but good luck turning that entire hall into functional space.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

BadSamaritan posted:

My guess is that if we don't agree to switch she would likely not renew the lease in order to move in downstairs and would need to find new renters. We just moved in last year and since we would have to all move on the same day it's probably going to be a huge pain in the butt.

It's a nice place in a great area for a pretty reasonable rent, so I would like to not sour our renter relationship by playing hardball. We were hoping to stay at this place for at least a few years, and weren't planning on financing a move in a couple months.

Sounds like you will be financing a move one way or another. Just depends on if you want to rent a truck or not.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
When I signed my lease we made (small) corrections by hand, with pen, and both parties initialed by the corrections. My lawyer wife seemed to think that was appropriate (not that she handles contract or rental/housing law as her job). I think the big correction was verbiage that stated they were not responsible for appliances like the fridge and washing machine, when in fact they promised us they would be. Apparently they own some properties in more sketch areas that end up costing them a lot of money in miss-treated appliances and they enforce that clause there.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Yep, 100% Gooncave. No decoration is as bad as sexy anime babes on the walls. Is it a college dorm? I see no evidence of a Bathroom even. Theres a regular single door, which I imagine is the apartment door and then the double doors, which I imagine is the closet.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Toshimo posted:

:notsureifserious: but, here's the full album of pix from before I got furniture in.

Oh yea, that puts the rooms in context. Great kitchen. Gas mfing burners.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Chard posted:

For those with itemized utility bills, what's your average for sewer service? My bill just for that component was ~15 these last two months and now it has tripled to ~45, with the only notification being the postcard that arrives like three days before rent is due. Leasing office is claiming that the billing company didn't do their homework and massively underestimated what the city charges. I don't think that holds water for a number of reasons, but I'm curious what others pay? This is a single occupancy one-bedroom apartment and apparently they're just dividing the total by doors and not usage (ostensibly the whole point of switching to this billing company!).

Probably depends a whole lot on your municipality and how they have decided to handle it. Generally I pay around $40 (Indiana) for combined sewer/trash and the cost only wavers by $2 or $3 per month based mostly on how many trash pickup days they have. Perhaps did you get miss-charged for somebody else's large item pickup somehow? I think my trash service will tack on $30+ for pickup of large items depending on size/type of item. Also the price you pay only includes pickup for so many bags of trash... did you go over that number?

edit:grammar

extravadanza fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 5, 2017

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Defenestration posted:

I have a thin hallway runner I got from Ikea so that my cat can enjoy running around and playing on it instead of sliding around the wood floors with no traction. But I need some kind of carpet pad to go underneath it to keep it in place.

Which of these should I get?

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring-Rugs-Rug-Padding-Grippers/3-x-10/N-5yc1vZb8e0Z1z0z4c5

I've never had a problem with the super cheap rubber foam mesh pads. Of course the thicker non-stick layers will provide a more cushioned step and the more expensive product may hold up better in higher traffic areas.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

That's not how you write legal demands, you don't include possible execution scenarios and whatnot. Is it in the US?!

It's a little weird. Just demand the money you are owed and cite any relevant laws from your city/state. If they don't follow the law, file in small claims.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

photomikey posted:

What sites are you using? Everybody says that there's a mass exodus from Craigslist, but there doesn't seem to be a defacto place to go after that.

I've stayed at my current apartment for 3 years now... but if I have to go hunting I might try

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I got a question about roommates. Do you typically pool money for groceries and supplies or does everyone buy stuff on their own?

I always bought separately, but often shopped together. That was around college age when I had no money and was not willing to splurge on the same high quality items as my roommates were. Sometimes we planned apartment dinners and just split up the items or had everybody toss in $5 and buy the ingredients.

Now my roommate is my wife, so we pool our money anyway... for everything.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
You and I have similar taste in glassware.

I've got these on pricewatch on camelcamelcamel
https://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocco-Bodega-Tumbler-Glasses/dp/B000PGB9PE
https://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocco-Bodega-Tumbler-Glasses/dp/B000WABA0W
https://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocco-Bodega-Tumbler-Glasses/dp/B000PG9BZO

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I had mice 2 years ago. What worked for me was a combo of those corner poison baits and a couple of well placed snap traps (the one behind my fridge did work).

I tried the non-lethal traps first, but they didn't really work for me.

e: Also, buy some steel wool and shove it in holes that they use.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
If you find a knockoff brand, post it. I want the bar but can't afford the price.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Oh hey they got a bunch of the 'linea' stuff on Amazon too for cheaper. I wish there was a lighter finish available, though. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=linea+furniture+zuo

E: cheaper than the Maxwell Blake website, that is.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I threw away my box frame and traditional bedframe and got a foam mattress with a taller bedframe like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-SmartBase-Foundation-Replacement-Noise-Free/dp/B006MISZOC

There's tons of room under it - my dog sleeps under my bed now. I keep extra clothes in long bags and totes under it. It's not beautiful, but you can't even see the bins because my comforter drapes over the sides of my bed anyway.

e: I don't need to have fancy bedroom furniture anymore, I already snared a wife.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

movax posted:

I've got a Purple mattress and no box-frame, yep! What do you do for a headboard? I'm renting, so don't really want to toss a headboard into studs.

It does appear I must choose between the floaty looks of something like this vs. having ~30 sq. ft back of space in a 600 sq. ft apartment to store spare linens and other stuff.

I actually built my own headboard. It's a DIY version of this: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/images/products/mandal-headboard__0107526_PE257208_S4.JPG since they don't sell it in the USA anymore. I don't rent, so I just bolted it straight to studs on my wall.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
'Quiet Enjoyment' has little do with an actual quiet environment. It's more to protect you from the landlord telling you how to live your life in your own house. So, perhaps it would more relevant for your midnight laundry neighbor than you.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Anyone at all familiar with "eco friendly carpets"? We need to recarpet a house and the missus is 100% committed to "eco carpet with no dye or checmicals" which as far as I can tell means it costs more, looks and feels like poo poo, and has no stain protection qualities.

We have 3 cats and want a baby so it'd suck loving rear end for us. Maybe we should just do hardwoods

Wood/FauxWood flooring and large cheap rugs are the way to go with babies. They cause a lot of damage. Also for babies, you can buy playmats or blankets with grippy bottoms for play areas.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Could go full European with it and get 2x twin duvets and duvet inserts. You each get your own.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I've had kids in the house for over 6 years. I'd say on average, the cushion covers get washed once every other year. Also, we basically never wash them all at once, just as messes happen the affect covers come off and go in the wash. In the 10 years from start of college to kids, I don't think I ever washed furniture fabric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
What beds have you liked before? Foam? Spring Mattress? Box springs can be replaced by a properly designed bedframe with something like slats. I have cheap foam mattresses with no box spring, but a bedframe with metal slats for my kids and they are perfectly comfortable - I've napped in them from time to time.

If you just want simple, you can get a Zinus bedframe plus a Zinus foam mattress, delivered to you very quickly from amazon. However, this may not be the most stylish choice.