Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'd try the truck rental if you're not incredibly far from the furniture store. Home depot rents trucks for $20 an hour. Throw in some money for gas and for beer or lunch for a friend or two and you'll be able to do it more cheaply than delivery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Boondock Saint posted:

Better yet, does anyone know if I'd be able to get a business account with Comcast despite the fact my apartment would be in an apartment building?

Yes, but you'd pay out the rear end, thus nullifying any savings from skipping the cable package. Is the usage cap a thing just for major metropolitan areas? I have the Xfinity 26mb package and I've never hit any cap, even though I use netflix and hulu exclusively.

psydude fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 18, 2012

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I guess that's the point I was trying to make. I pay $40 a month for 26 down/6 up and have never hit the cap. 15/5 for $60 seems a bit unreasonable. Although you'll certainly get better customer support with that package, which given that it's comcast may actually make it worthwhile.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

California has very strict landlord/tenant laws that make it nearly impossible to evict someone. A lease is as much for the tenant's benefit as it is the landlord's, as it defines the responsibilities of each party during the leasing period. By not having you sign one, he could really screw you over.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

This is kind of bordering on a legal question, but I figured I'd post it here:

The "landlord" (it's a faceless evil corporation) of my last apartment is charging me a $150 cleaning fee due to "entire apartment dirty; misc items left". This is, of course, bullshit since the place was practically spotless when we left it aside from some spots on the carpet (there was a separate charge for this, but whatever). As far as I can tell from Virginia's tenant/landlord laws, charging for cleaning is not permitted unless excessive damage has been done.

Anyone got experience handling something like this? I'm thinking about telling them to get lost unless they can produce an itemized list.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah, they're witholding my security deposit, buy it was only $100 so I'm thinking that I'll just let them have it and refuse to pay the rest.

E: The one thing I am concerned about is them selling it to collections. I do realize that this would actually be easier to beat because a collections company wouldn't waste time and money to send a lawyer to small claims court over such a small amount, but it would still be a pain in the rear end.

psydude fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 13, 2012

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yep, they said they'd hand it off to collections. I did ask to see the formula used to calculate the carpet replacement as well. My roommate just wants to rollover on it. And since it's such a small amount split between us it doesn't bother me too much. If it were just me, I'd tell them to piss off since I'm a rather vindictive person.

I did, however, take the liberty of notifying Visa and Mastercard that they were violating their service agreement by charging tenants a surcharge to pay their bills online.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Were they using a third party service to accept credit cards? Most landlords who allow credit card payments do this, as its a way around the surcharge prohibition. The fee is technically for the third party to handle the payments.

No, it was actually built into their corporate central portal.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Lava Lamp posted:

Craigslist won't let me post an ad with a crappy pre-paid phone, so all I can do is stalk the postings.

Have you tried using a google voice number instead?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Carbon Thief posted:

I'm trying to rent a room/ find roommates via Craigslist/Kijiji/whatever. Is there anything I need to watch out for/remember that I wouldn't think of? Or just the usual get a rent receipt/make sure the agreement is on paper sort of thing?

I'm actually interested in hearing about this from the other side, too - I'm looking to use craigslist to move into a spare room when my lease ends in a few months.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You're probably going to have an easier time convincing them to knock some money off of your rent for you to maintain it yourself, as it saves them the hassle of hiring a crew to do it and then still having to pay them in the event you don't stick around.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Received a water turnoff notice in the mail today. Apparently the landlady didn't bother paying my water and refuse bill (this is clearly outlined in the lease) and now she has 10 days to pay it before I take her to court to break my lease and move.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone had success with roomster?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You can do a one way move with a Uhaul from one state to another. I know this from first hand experience.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Stew Man Chew posted:

I just completed an in-town move with UHaul, I got a largeish truck that was a piece of poo poo, but holy hell, the MILEAGE charges. They dinged me for 89 cents a mile. I cannot fathom moving interstate with UHaul. If I had driven most of the day I would've paid 10x the daily rental rate just in mileage charges.

Interstate moves aren't too bad because they're not based on mileage. I think mine came to about $150 total including the insurance.

e: Well, actually, they might be based on mileage, but it's at a much better rate.

psydude fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 9, 2012

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If you're going to hire a moving company, then make sure you don't go with the lowest bidder. Remember that the amount they're paid is directly proportional to the amount of fucks they give about your stuff.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Millions posted:

Since you tossed a link to IKEA up in the OP, this one might be a nice accompaniment: http://www.ikeahackers.net/

I browse it pretty frequently even though there's no IKEA in my state. It's given me plenty of ideas for decoration even though I don't have access to the exact pieces they're using.

Thank you, sir, for introducing this website into my life.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Get a queen. I have a full-sized and it's super annoying to have more than one person sleeping on it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah, my boxspring wouldn't fit up the steps at my current apartment so my mattress is on the floor bachelor style. :smug:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My apartment is pretty clean, but I didn't feel like cutting the box spring in half and dragging it up the stairs. It's kind of a moot point, though, because I'm moving in a month. I would also never bring a woman back here because this place is in the middle of the ghetto.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I prefer to deal with shallow women, so this place is the Myrtle to my Gatsby.

No, but seriously, living next to section 8 housing isn't fun.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Discovered Scraphacker yesterday. Apparently it's an affiliate of IkeaHacker, which was posted a few pages ago.

Anyway, I'm totally making everything out of shipping pallets from now on.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The link I just posted has made me biased toward bedframes made of shipping pallets (totally doing this).

But I would recommend going to an outlet store and actually trying out the mattresses there.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nuntius posted:

Are you not concerned by splinters, loose nails and staples? And the fact that the wood is not full of lovely preservatives and heat treated to kill bugs?

Ikea furniture is fine as long as you stay with their better, more expensive stuff.

This is all pretty easily addressed: give it a sanding, remove any rogue nails, and apply a clear sealant or mineral oil.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Manslaughter posted:

How common is it for your rent to get bumped up after your first lease term expires? Wondering if I should start looking for a new place if they're going to keep doing this.

Very. Part of it is them attempting to eek more money out of you, but you also have to realize that rising property tax and inflation is a factor as well. One of the ways municipalities keep this in check is through rent control laws, but you'll generally only find those in major cities.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

2508084 posted:

This may be your best bet since you may run into unexpected (and expensive) car issues transferring a car from one end of the country to another. I don't know if VA or TX has a smog certification requirement like California does, but iirc, bringing a car to California from a state that doesn't have smog cert is a pain in the butt. That may have changed though, its been years since I've done that.
You can run long tubes on your car for all VA cares, unless you live in NOVA.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Blooshoo posted:

Isn't there a thing you can put on power cables to see how much power that thing is actually using? That + some maths and you can figure out exactly how much a thing is costing you.

I'm in the south too so I'm with Florida goon up there a/c is like 2/3rds of our power bill (Seriously we kept the AC off for a month and opened all the windows and it knocked the power bill down from $350 to $110). Now it's too hot. :(

The utility conglomerate here in Maryland is switching over to a type of meter that allows you to actually get a per-outlet readout.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Lazer posted:

Is it normal for an apartment complex to want you to be able to show twice the amount of rent a month in income for all three people renting a place. What I mean is I have myself and two other roommates, we want to rent a 3 bedroom apartment. The rent for the place is 1200 or so. The management staff wants all 3 of us individually to show 2400 a month in income.

Now we live in a place that is more expensive than this apartment now and have never had any issues paying rent, but verifying the income is going to be hard since we are tip based employees. They gave us a form to fill out and with some friends in management at my company it won't be hard to make it up, but is this common place now?

I've never seen the requirement apply to each individual roommate, just the collective incomes of the people on the lease.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ashcans posted:

Another thing to be aware of is that with a month-to-month lease you are not guaranteed that 25% less rent for any particular length of time. So its entirely possible the landlord is fishing with the lower rate, and after a couple months will jack it back up to market rate - counting on you agreeing to pay up rather than go through the hassle of another move.

This really depends on the actual lease terms. I'm currently on a month to month lease that fixes the price for the duration of my residency. In other words, I don't sign an entirely new lease every month, it's just that I have the opportunity to break it provided that I give the required 30 days notice.

So I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you should demand that the price stay fixed for an amount of time considered "fair" to the landlord, i.e. one full year.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

cheerfullydrab posted:

Any advice on getting out of a lease gracefully? There's not a word in the thing about breaking it. Is this more of a legal question?

Going to depend on your state. A lot require at least 30 days of notice prior to moving out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Third Murderer posted:

Are there any caveats other than the obvious when looking for apartments on Craigslist? I sent an email about an ad that looks promising, but other than bringing someone else with me if I can arrange a look at the place I don't know what to look out for.

I've never done anything through Craigslist before and I don't want to show up at the place only to black out and wake up a few hours later in a bathtub full of ice. :ohdear:

I've done it a ton of times times and each time was met by normal people looking to rent out their place. Google street view is your friend and, if you're feeling sketched out about it, just bring a friend along.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If you move a lot like me, stackable storage bins from target are a god-send. They're cheap, re-usable, easily stackable, and sturdy as hell.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zaftig posted:

Yeah, this is what I'm worried about. I'm 24 and live with four other people my age, and we've been pretty drat accommodating for this guy, so I'm sure he thinks we're naive and he can take all our money. We actually paid a higher deposit because five people in their early 20s moving in together does seem like a red flag for landlords, and we were prepared for that, so with that and the pet deposit in hold we'd be out $4K if he tries to gently caress us over. The last place that kept my deposit was only about $400 and it wasn't worth the stress, but this is different.

I'll look into my local laws. I was thinking about doing a checklist that he signed, so I'm glad to know that other people think that's a good idea, too.

He broke the terms of the lease. Take him to court and see what you can get out of him. You know damned well he'd do the same thing to you.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Smells only exist because something exists that stinks. Remove the source.

Wash the walls, replace the filter in the A/C, and most importantly, make sure the carpet is thoroughly cleaned.

Old People is pretty hard to get out, dude. Painting the walls might be another option.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Went over to the old apartment today to argue about my deposit - they magically have my paperwork now and of course the damages all added up to my security deposit amount. They charged more than double the initial assessment for painting and cleaning the apartment, despite it being left in good condition (didn't even hang pictures up!).

California law states that deductions from the security deposit can only be made to clean and repair damages outside of normal wear and tear - that is a very nebulous term that I see causing a lot of grief in the near future.

Has anyone successfully argued their deductions down or could give me a brief primer on what wear and tear can be legally defined as? I was kind of a neat freak when I lived there and didn't damage anything and kept everything as clean as possible, but they're insistent that I ruined all the cabinets and so on. Does it just come down to the before and after photographs or how does all this work? Is small claims court a huge pain in the rear end or is it worth it for something like this?

Spend the $20 on the fees for small claims court and show up in person with the summons (also send one via certified mail). Tell them you're willing to settle out of court for a fair amount OR you'll take them to court where the judge will probably be very sympathetic to your case.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Here's a fun tip:

Roaches. You will get them eventually, and if you think you won't then you're either stupid or a patient with severe retrograde amnesia caused by dementia or alcoholism. One easy way to combat the problem (aside from doing your dishes as soon as you're done cooking and eating) is to put all of your bagged snack foods (chips, pretzels, etc.) in ziploc bags as soon as they're opened.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Roaches are pretty prevalent in this part of the country. I never had issues in my modern apartment complex, however in older structures (my last place and my current place) they're inevitable regardless of how clean you keep your area. Seeing one or two isn't a huge issue, because the little bastards are resilient, but cleaning your poo poo right away and not leaving out food is the best way to keep the population in check.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Comstar posted:

I'm looking at moving out and most of the apartments in my price range only have communal laundries.

For those living in small (cheap) apartments, what's life like living with communal laundries? A chance to meet other people or too much of a hassle to live without your own washing machine?

It sucks. The greatest thing about having your own laundry is that you don't have to babysit it, thus freeing you up to go do more important poo poo.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

No idea how it is in the UK, but in the US the property owner can pretty much defer all "cleaning" costs to you, which almost always is conveniently the exact amount of your deposit. It seems to be worse with large complexes owned by large corporations, who undoubtedly contract the cleaning out to people who charge an arm and a leg to mop your floor and don't give a poo poo about your threats to take them to small claims court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Eggplant Wizard posted:

If you're responsible for the utility in question, you have to set it up yourself. Many complexes cover certain utilities, however, usually including water and sewer. Right now for example I did have to set up my own electricity, but not gas/water/sewer. Make sure you're clear with the landlord/agency on what you're responsible for. For those things that you are responsible for, you need to call in advance and say you're moving in on whatever day and want the service switched over into your name on that day. I have typically asked for it to be done a day or two before just because I assume they will gently caress up and I don't want an interruption in service :v: That's probably unnecessary though.

Seriously make sure you call ahead of time. You probably won't experience a service interruption, but what you will experience is a bill from the complex for about 10-15x the actual cost of the utilities they used because they've used a third party billing agency that charges you around $100 in fees for the $2 of utilities that the complex was charged.