Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I think it's prudent to lump utilities and insurance in there, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Doghouse posted:

I just got a bill for one month of gas and electric for my one bedroom apartment in Baltimore - and it's for $335! Is this normal?? In St. Louis it was a third of that. We keep the lights off most of the day and it hasn't been that hot. What the hell.

I seriously cannot understand how this could be right. We don't even own a TV for crying out loud.

Has BGE installed the smart meters in your house yet? It should actually let you view which rooms are using the most juice. I'd also contact the land lord and ask them to have an energy auditor come by to take a look. They can usually get it subsidized to some extent.

e: Oh, and if you just moved in then part of that is probably the turn on fee, admin fee, and security deposit that they love to gouge you for.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Juriko posted:

Also look into the rules of your locality. In many cases there will be avenues to end a renters tenancy if you, the owner, wish to occupy the unit regardless of lease length.

That isn't a study. It is an article that has no data or real sources, and has been shot down numerous times for failing to point out things like the fact that, in the same time period, Memphis experienced a massive increase in adult unemployment, a huge jump in childhood poverty, and the fact that section 8 voucher users tended to move to only marginally better off neighborhoods, meaning that in he face of severe economic depression they were the first to start showing signs of stress.

Sketchy articles aside, I've lived next to or right across the street from Section 8 housing for about a year now and I agree that you should make every possible effort to avoid it or any landlord that accepts it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Do you have any friends who can house-sit while you're gone?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I had a minor roach problem at my last place, I believe due to both the age of the house and my neighbors being slobs. Depending on the severity of the problem you might be able to get away with meticulously cleaning your kitchen once a week, immediately cleaning all dishes after using them, wiping off the countertop daily, and storing all food in resealable bags.