Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I'm not sure how to deal with the residency/purchasing logistics of an upcoming move for me and my husband (plus a cat). We are moving from NYC to Delaware and do not currently have cars.

Our lease in NYC ends May 31st. His job and my school will start mid-August. He needs to stay in NYC for another 2 months after our lease ends. I figure he will sublet a furnished room in NYC for those two months while me and the cat and our stuff stay at my parents in Rhode Island (who are both cool with the idea) (this is also the only cost-effective option for him being in the city). At the beginning of July or August we will both move to Delaware in a small UHaul.

I will probably need to get a car sometime between June and July, since I will need a car if I'm not going to sit in my parents' basement all day, livin' the dream. I will probably also drive down to the area for a couple days to check out apartments (though the market is so much less vicious than NYC, I'm not sure how necessary it will be). How does this work for registration and insurance? I will only have the car at that location for about a month before moving to a different state. Will I just need to reregister it and readjust my insurance a month later? We've saved what we can, but we don't have a huge budget so I'd prefer to pay the fewest fees possible.

I think we can wait to get his car once we get to our final stop, but I don't want to take a bus to the dealership a day after moving to a new state. I don't think you get a good deal that way.

Has anyone had experience with a staggered move like this? Any tips? The car paperwork is really boggling me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Also, you don't need to spend $500+ on a mattress like some people do. I've been very happy with my $200 ikea one for 4 years now.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Paranoid Peanut posted:

What should my rent budget be? I'm moving to NYC with a ~110k income - is the rule of 40 applicable? $2,750 mo?

I want to be ~20 mins from the waldorf by subway.

Yeah, NYC is expensive, but it's not impossible to find a 1br for under $2000. My friend is renting a place off the 6 in East Harlem for $1650 and he's happy with it. The rule of 40 is more of a guideline of what you'll get approved for rather than what is reasonable to spend.

However, the sub $2000 range won't include many of the amenities you would expect elsewhere in the US (dishwasher, w/d, elevator, gym facility, storage, bathroom fans, exhausts over the stove, etc.) so be prepared to pay more if you want fancy stuff. If you have the option to just come and visit before you move, go out with a broker for a day (don't actually sign anything) to see some of the stuff in your price range and get a reality check.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

I really like my IKEA mattress, I've had it for about 5 years now and it's still going strong. It cost about $250.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

babydonthurtme posted:

Naturally, by now I have a mile long list of possible options on Wayfair.com, but looking around for reviews re their delivery and how easy it is to return stuff to them has me concerned. We live in an apartment building in Berkeley, getting things in and out is already going to be a massive pain, AND we're on a budget, the last thing we need is to have any extra hassle with returning stuff, or with our items coming in damaged. Does anyone have any recent experience with getting large furniture delivered to them from Wayfair? Should we just choose one of the couches at IKEA and have that delivered instead?

When I got my (heavy wood) bureau through Wayfair, they just left the box leaning up against my back steps, it wasn't brought inside or to the apartment door. YMMV but I would be hesitant to order from them if I were back in NYC at my fifth floor walkup. The box was a little banged up, and an unobtrusive corner of my bureau is a bit dented but I didn't want to deal with returns.

I did, however, get my couch from IKEA and it is amazing and comfortable and was delivered in a more reliable manner. The Tidafors is not their most stylish couch but sweet mother of god it is comfortable and doesn't look bad (my mom thought I got it a Pottery Barn).

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

For used furniture transportation, check out Home Depot. They rent trucks and small vans by the hour for like $25.

Made my dining set purchase from Craigslist super easy to move for far less than a full day rental.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Maybe look into Forest Hills/Rego Park westish Queens areas. You should be able to find a cheapish 1-bedroom that isn't a shithole and is convenient to JFK. They're not 'cool' neighborhoods, but they're not rough and it's still easy to get into the bigger parts of the city to have fun and meet people. There's still restaurants and bars and stuff there. I used to spend a lot of time in Rego Park, and while not exciting, there's still plenty to do and you can cruise over to Jackson Heights for authentic Indian food or an express train into Manhattan.

I'd recommend against a roommate situation if you're away a lot, but that's my bias against leaving people I don't know well alone with my stuff for several days at a time. I feel like there is too much shenanigan potential.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

So my landlady broke her foot a few months ago and it's healing poorly. She lives on the top floor of the two-family house that we rent in, and recently brought up to my husband that she is interested in switching apartments with us when our lease is up in a couple months. The apartments are essentially the same, with the top floor one being slightly nicer.

She's a sweet little old lady, and I think it's a pretty reasonable request from her end. We wouldn't mind moving to the other floor for her except for the cost and hassle of getting movers and repacking. Do you think it's reasonable to try and get her to pay for movers, or at least a large portion of the cost? If it's a lot for her up front, we'd be willing to work it into a rent decrease for the next year.

My guess is that if we don't agree to switch she would likely not renew the lease in order to move in downstairs and would need to find new renters. We just moved in last year and since we would have to all move on the same day it's probably going to be a huge pain in the butt.

It's a nice place in a great area for a pretty reasonable rent, so I would like to not sour our renter relationship by playing hardball. We were hoping to stay at this place for at least a few years, and weren't planning on financing a move in a couple months.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Yeah, sure looks like it.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

My previous mattress was from Ikea, my current one is from Casper. I got the latter because I didn't want to have to go to Ikea again and wanted something to last longer than the 5 years the Ikea did. I've been happy with both purchases, and the Casper is ridiculously comfortable.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

These are my favorite glasses and I recommend them to everyone:

https://www.amazon.com/Duralex-France-Picardie-4-Ounce-Tumbler/dp/B0017LR21Q

(I have a set of the 12oz and 17oz tumblers, but they come in a range of sizes so be careful which you select).

I've had my oldest set of them for about 7 years/4 moves. The set I bought last year is the same quality. They've been whacked countless times against sink faucets and handled by clumsy roommates, used for hot and cold liquids, and still look new. They're sturdy, but have a nice classic design.

They're the only glasses I own and I don't think I'll get any others unless the quality of these plummet, but I don't see these breaking any time soon.

(Seriously I love these stupid glasses)

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

SardonicTyrant posted:

Are any of the Ikea couches good? I like the prices and don't mind a bit of assembly, but some reviews I looked at said that weren't that comfortable.

Preferably I'm looking for a non-loveseat.

We have a Tidafors and it is still extremely comfortable after 3 years and a move. It’s not a super stylish sofa, but I can’t overstate how comfy it’s been.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

^ I’ve had that Ikea folding table through four moves and have found utility for it in every apartment. Now we have a house and it looks good enough that we still keep it around and use it regularly. A+ good table.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Have you looked into secretary desks? Those might give a larger enclosed workspace. The tricky part will be finding one high enough for the monitor, but it should be doable. e: particularly the roll top models, which tend to be a bit roomier and don’t rely on the fold-out part as a desk surface

BadSamaritan fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 12, 2019

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

If you haven’t yet, go through and re-tighten everything you can access if you’ve been using it for a little.

If you’ve already done that- I’m not sure if the Brimnes has them- but there might be little screwed on diagonal metal crossbraces under the platform/slat portion of the bed. Tighten these ***as much as possible***, up to and including using a hand drill. That got rid of the squeaking our Ikea bed had.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Looking for a vacuum recommendation.

I live in San Francisco, so most of our apartment is hard wood but my house mate has a large rug that sheds a lot as well as two kitties that shed + some litter that tracks around. I need something that can handle all of these without being too large. I'm honestly considering a shop vac, especially a backpack model as I would also like to deep clean our storage area and laundry area, but I didn't see any that looked reputable. It seems like most shop vacs are intended for spaces with lots of room to move so they have wide wheel bases, but I need the smallest base possible because it's an apartment. The long hose appeals to me because of the tight spaces caused by furniture and built in shelving, claw foot tub, etc. I'd love to be able to get all the eaves and rafters. Is there a shop vac model that can use a carpet cleaning attachment?

I'd like to keep it around $200 or less, but I could go to $300 if it really fit what I needed and would last a while.

We have a Shark Navigator- it’s a more traditional upright vacuum, but the long hose (and canister) comes off easily for small spaces and it swivels better than other uprights that I’ve tried. Very good for cat hair and crunchies. Shark also makes a corded stick vacuum similar to the one posted above- I haven’t tried it but it might be an option if you don’t want to deal with rechargeable battery issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

tokenbrownguy posted:

where the heck do you buy decent furniture online without getting wrecked by shipping? I live in the middle of nowhere, no IKEA or w/e nearby.

How decent are you looking for? Target tends to have free shipping. Costco.com is more expensive but also includes shipping. You may also be able to call a vaguely local branch of, say, La-z-boy and have them deliver during a free delivery promo.