Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I was hoping somebody could give me some information and/or link me to somewhere that does about subletting. I may be, in the near future, taking a gig on a cruise ship so I would be away in three-six month stints. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

In Seattle, there are "Apodments" that rent for two-month leases. That'd probably be ideal for you, since they're furnished, and you could just store most of your poo poo and not have to move or pay rent every time you go away.

I meant subletting my apartment. I'll have no problem finding somewhere when I would not be on the ship.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is 1.5 months an ample enough amount of time to tell your roommates you're planning on moving out? I have 3 roommates, one who is going to be moving because of school in June(who let us know that a long time ago so that's not an issue), one who is apartment hunting right now with his girlfriend, and one who didn't know until this past weekend that the other two of us were apartment hunting. The fourth roommate confronted me yesterday and said that that small amount of time is cold, that I'm "loving with someone's life," that "this is how you make an enemy," and that he's "bitter toward you and (my other roommate)." He wants to stick around the apartment, I believe, mainly because he's a musician and our neighbors have taken no issue with his playing loud brass instruments or flute all day, and while he said that he had found some people to move in, he said that "July isn't a time when people are looking to move, they're usually looking in Sugust/September/October," which I disagree with.

I know that the roommate who is looking with his girlfriend has been looking for a minimum of two weeks longer than me; I honestly wasn't even planning to move until a close friend of mine told me about an opening in his really nice apartment that is also only 2/3 the price of my current rent, so I obviously jumped on that. We talked about the issue yesterday and smoothed it over so my fourth roommate isn't bitter and resenting me at the moment, but he mentioned that the other roommate(with girlfriend) is potentially going to throw money his way because this amount of time is too small. I disagree and while I told him we'd figure it out, I don't think I'm under any obligation to throw him any money. We're on a month-to-month lease at the moment so I'm not breaching contract or anything. He was just really offended, and seems to be expecting me to compensate him for my portion of rent for at least one month, potentially more, which I do not think I am under any obligation to do, nor am I really inclined to do(he hasn't really been the best roommate).

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

1.5 months is legally just fine, but hunting and planning to move for awhile before telling him are rear end in a top hat moves, which is why he's mad. He's right that tons more people will be looking in Aug/Sept than for July 1, especially if you're in a college town, but even in big cities. The bottom line is you don't owe him any money, but it's not a surprise he's pissed and you can consider the bridge burned.

Mind_Taker posted:

I agree I would have told him right when you made the decision to start looking for another place to live because it is obviously going to impact where he might end up living.

I definitely agree that we should've told him when we began thinking about bailing out, that's definitely on me and my other roommate. He said he's got people lined up(or something to that effect...) so I think we're gonna sit down and just have a conversation about what everybody's thinking should happen and go from there. If he turns out to need help finding (a) new roommate(s) I'll definitely help him out there.

goku chewbacca posted:

Do you have a security deposit you're hoping to get back? You could offer to transfer a small portion of it to your replacement for incentive.

I actually thought of something similar earlier, I think I'm just going to forfeit my security deposit to the roommate who's staying, I think that's fair.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Alright goons, drop as much knowledge as you can on me about garden-level apartments. Just moved into one on July 1st, still sorting all my crap out. A dehumidifier is next up on my list of must-haves, is there anything else I absolutely need/should know? From everything I've read the dehumidifier should cut down on some insect guests as well, but I think I need to buy new door... liner... things? Not sure what they're called, the small rubber pieces that block the opening between the door and the floor. I mistakenly(high af...) snipped part of two of them off before checking to see if they were covering the whole door.

My roommate found one roach yesterday over by our unfinished, damp, nasty, under-the-stairs storage area so I'm going to buy a little roach motel or two to put over there but I have no experience with cockroaches. Is finding a single one a big deal? Are there more precautions we should take? It was a medium-large sized one, if that makes any difference?

Also, can anybody tell me about plants that I could grow, too? I live on an East/West street so our windows that face those directions are either non-existent or are in an alleyway that only gets a smattering of light, but I'm still hoping to be able to have a plant or two to make the room nice. I want my Japanese Peace Lily!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sticking with vacuum recommendations, how about handheld vacuums? I've got entirely hardwood so I don't need a full-sized one.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Just wanted to pop in and say the plastic shrink wrap stuff for moving is a loving godsend.

In 24 hours I get to play Tetris in a Uhaul and this poo poo is making it so much easier.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

In my experience with two slumlord LLs, one was obviously one, and the other kept it hidden; I think it's a crapshoot unless you can talk to current residents.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Unload My Head posted:

No upgrade is removable.

Uh, what the gently caress is this statement? This is as dumb as it is false.

I guess I have to leave my TV mount, and the shelves I installed, the various hooks and hangers I've put up, my shower curtain...

See how stupid that sounds?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Unload My Head posted:

I always enjoy people who try to debate the existence of a given law or legal precedent by saying "It sounds dumb". Lots of poo poo in this society is dumb. Lots of laws are dumb. Doesn't make them non-existent. Doesn't make them unenforceable. Read up on fixture law and be informed.

A quick Wikipedia search on fixture law gives me only this:

"The law regarding fixtures can also cause many problems with property held under a lease. Fixtures put in place by the tenant belong to the landlord if the tenant is evicted from the property. This is the case even if the fixture could have legally been removed by the tenant while the lease was in good standing. For example, a chandelier hung by the tenant may become the property of the landlord. Although this example is trivial, there have been cases where heavy equipment incorporated into a plant has been deemed to have become fixtures even though it was sold as chattels."

I don't think we're talking about getting evicted, so maybe you should read up on fixture law a bit more and be informed.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah this is the poo poo the lady is insisting on and saying she literally won't live in the house unless that's the carpet

Sorta... wanting to call her bluff on this one. I don't want to die in a housefire, step on moth larvae, or have $16,000 of carpet instantly ruined by 3 cats and two sweaty humans

Did she actually mention the chemicals used in flooring that she is worried about, or did she legit say 'toxins'? Cause the latter there is uh... not.. good.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Looking for a vacuum recommendation.

I live in San Francisco, so most of our apartment is hard wood but my house mate has a large rug that sheds a lot as well as two kitties that shed + some litter that tracks around. I need something that can handle all of these without being too large. I'm honestly considering a shop vac, especially a backpack model as I would also like to deep clean our storage area and laundry area, but I didn't see any that looked reputable. It seems like most shop vacs are intended for spaces with lots of room to move so they have wide wheel bases, but I need the smallest base possible because it's an apartment. The long hose appeals to me because of the tight spaces caused by furniture and built in shelving, claw foot tub, etc. I'd love to be able to get all the eaves and rafters. Is there a shop vac model that can use a carpet cleaning attachment?

I'd like to keep it around $200 or less, but I could go to $300 if it really fit what I needed and would last a while.

I've been meaning to get a new one, but a Dyson vacuum like this has been fuckin amazing for me. I bought a refurb one and it has lasted me uh... almost 5 years? And I'm only buying a new one cause the battery on mine is now kind of poo poo, it only lasts about 5 minutes. Still a great vacuum, but 5 minutes of vacuuming for an hour plus of charging is getting a bit annoying.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Collect the water into a large container then mail it to your landlord.

Or fill a super soaker with it and spray them directly in the mouth.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

the house mom

What... is a house mom? :confused:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Spikes32 posted:

Now you threaten to take them to small claims court and win three times your deposit, and quote them the CA law that makes it automatic.

Yup, do this with certified mail so you have a receipt of them receiving it.

My old landlord tried that bullshit, I received a check like 3 days after the certified mail was received.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

It almost has to be an itemized list, as well, so just "cleaning the apartment" is not sufficient.

Also if it's not certified mail I won't tell your secret if you just lose it :shrug:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah they're just trying to scare you into paying them money, send them a certified legalese letter. Burn their bullshit letter :guillotine:

There was a template on a tenant protections website I found for my state that I just copied and pasted, check if there's something like that for you.

Fake edit: and hopefully you have documentation of the lack of final walkthrough, find and keep that handy.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

You can definitely go and pick up stuff from the pod once it's at its final storage location through the company, not sure about not having it dropped off at your apartment l current apartment, though.

I used them a little over a year ago and they were really bad at communication, so double check whatever you tell them to do and stay on reminding them about poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

kreeningsons posted:

Who here has had their former landlord stiff them out of the accrued interest on their security deposit, and then successfully pried it out of them?

I had to send a legalese letter to my first Boston landlord to get my $250 security deposit back, but this just made me realize I didn't get any interest! gently caress!