Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is this the place to ask for advice on loud/shouty neighbors? If so...

I live in a Duplexy type house and I live upstairs, and have newish neighbours downstairs. They moved in, in August, and lately they've been yelling/shouting at each other more and more. One of them stormed out last weekend (thanksgiving monday :canada:) and slammed a bunch of doors.

They seem to fight about every 2-3 days, but door slamming is (fortunately) rare. Should I approach them about this? How?

The fighting really bothers me and some voice in the back my head worries about there being actual domestic violence. I'm a big wuss when it comes to people raising their voices, but my boyfriend who lives with me (and comes from a boisterous family by my measure) hates the fighting too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Do you own or rent? Does the same landlord own both halves? If they do you can file a complaint with your landlord, if two different people own each half then you're kinda stuck on that front.

You could all the cops for a noise violation/potential domestic violence situation. Even if it's not a serious domestic dispute it'll probably embarrass them into shutting up.

Rent, and the landlord owns both suites. I'll talk to the landlord then. Unless they have another doorslamming showdown, then I'll call the non-emergency line. Thanks.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there any trick to packing glasses/dishes/kitchen poo poo?

I'm moving in my folks temporarily and I want to pack all my kitchen stuff away because my parents can be careless slobs. Ideally I'd have my kitchen packed away in some sort of semi-compact way so that I can keep it in boxes until I move again (possibly long-distance). I can wrap them in towels/old bedding and I only have a handful of lovely stemware.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I keep forgetting the easy answer to "what to do with all my non-sentimental poo poo" is goodwill or garbage. :v:

Thanks, I can probably get my kitchen poo poo down to <50% it was before and it will still be plenty. I'll see if I can get banker's boxes, but it might be an idea I'll have to store away for a time where I don't have to worry about how much they cost.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

What's a good furniture layout program? Sketchup? I haven't touched a non-pcb CAD program in 5 years so I have no idea what's out there now.

Also, are little rubber pads worth a drat for keeping furniture from sliding around? I have no wall to put the couch against and the felt pads to save the laminate aren't helping.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I'm not totally sure what to do in my current situation. I'm dealing with two cases of water damage at once in my apartment and I don't really have a place to just gently caress off to while a second round of dehumidifiers are here.

20 days ago there was a leak in the roof from where the dishwasher in the unit above leaked/failed. Turns out it was enough water to sneak through a bulkhead and down into the floor, and the floor was ripped up and we ended up having two dehumidifiers and two fans running for a week to dry it out. I still have no idea how far along insurance is for getting a new floor, but since its laminate they'll have to replace the whole floor. I guess.

This morning my boyfriend stepped out of bed into sopping wet carpet. Phoned the building maintenance, they sent out a contractor to rip out the wet poo poo and dowse the wound with anti-fungal/anti-microbial stuff right away. It was rainwater leaking in through the siding outside and enough to get some mold on the baseboard. Now I have a least 4 days of dehumidifier/fans in the bedroom. Probably going to move the mattress into the living room and camp out.

I'm frustrated and my landlords have no idea what to offer us for the headache? What would be appropriate to ask of them? or contact someone's insurance? I have rental insurance, but it was just activated a week ago, and I doubt they cover much?? My landlords are inexperienced, but they did already throw a food giftcard for the first incident.

in more positive news, the little rubber feet for keeping furniture from sliding around on the laminate work quite well.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

BC, Canada. I did think it was the landlord's insurance that would cover things, I just am getting tired with playing phone tag right now.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

We have the standard-est of standard leases because BC puts up a general one online. All it really says is "repairs must happen" unless I'm missing something. (here if anyone gives a poo poo http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/housing-tenancy/residential-tenancies/forms )

We went for the rent refund route. Hotels suck and I had to stay in them a few nights moving here because of timing issues and I'm fine dragging my mattress onto the one part of the apartment that isn't tore up or is kitchen.

Landlord is getting on someone's case, because they thought that we already had a new floor for the living room but it was the building owner that was dragging their rear end. I'm new to the whole apartment/strata-owner-tenant-insurance hierarchy which kind of hides who to complain to.

Thanks for help thread, it really sucks to only be able to use 1/3 of your apartment. gently caress water

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Yeah, I'm going to go over the policy. We only just signed up for it, but it seems OK on the surface. It covers replacement for furniture/electronics, but I haven't read the details yet. No bike, but we'd need an add-on for that one.

Though we have almost nothing to damage at least. Left anything of value in Alberta in my parents house :v:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Last time I looked for an apartment it was either: shared with one old couple who owned the place and hated us spending electricity, laundromat in dubiously legal basement suite, or in-suite.

As far as plumbing goes, it's the same as a dishwasher as far as I'm concerned. Plus you have to worry if the person above you has a lovely washer, anyways.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I don't really have any to add about whether or not you should tell your potential roommates your life plans, but, if you're home most of the time and your roommates work, you really should think about doing a majority of the cleaning. I'm not saying do the other's laundry or anything, but make it a habit to regularly sweep/vacuum/etc.

Any reason why you can't get a part time job doing whatever that gets you out of the house and out of your roommates hair? You might have enough savings for a year, but it really does suck to be out of work for a long period of time while being frugal and even just putting in a few hours doing whatever the hell helps keep you on track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I've had a slow leak in my apartment that will finally get fixed this week... Maybe. We'll see if the contractors actually do anything. Its through the concrete on the outside courtyard. Its a building from 1983. Its a rental only building with a concierge, for what that's worth.

I can deal with the water itself, and the hole in the floor. But my question is how likely is mold?
I've been running the dehumidifier as much as I can tolerate since it was discovered in early november.

Someone I know is bugging me to get one of those mold detector air purifiers, but as I understand they only detect PM2.5?

Jurisdiction is Metro Vancouver, BC.