Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EtaBetaPi
Aug 11, 2008

Chade Johnson posted:

Is it wise to pay my friend straight cash for a room without signing a contract?

Not unless you enjoy being thrown out at a whim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EtaBetaPi
Aug 11, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I've had three, possibly four break in attempts so far (someone trying the front door at 3 AM a couple months back (scared off by dog), trying the front door again the night of the Friday after Thanksgiving (scared off by dog again), opening my back gate and chickening out and running away when it squeaked really loudly at midnight on Monday night, and just now trying my back door). I legitimately do not feel safe in my apartment anymore and feel like I need to be armed 24/7 while I'm in my own home. After the first attempt I was fairly confident they wouldn't be back but clearly I was wrong. I want to move the hell out but my lease isn't up till June.

I'm going to talk to management tomorrow about it to see if anyone else has been experiencing the same thing. I'm inclined to think I'm being targeted because it's obvious that it's just me living here and I have a pretty set routine/schedule. Last night when I was walking the dogs I saw some pretty sketchy characters who looked like they were casing a nearby house, I know what the people who live there look like and these guys weren't them and left pretty drat quick when they noticed they'd been seen. What sets me on edge is that these are probably the same guys who have been trying my doors in the middle of the night, and they're several grown men and not the scrawny teenager I saw the first time. I could take down a scrawny teenager, three grown men are a different story.

Then an hour or so ago my back door opened, right around the time I usually go to bed (I'm up later than usual because I don't have work tomorrow). It had been shut but not locked since I had been going in and out earlier. When I went to check there wasn't anyone there (and by check I mean bodyslamming the door and immediately deadbolting it, then peering out my peephole). Either my door unlatched and opened itself, or someone opened it and chickened out when they noticed I was home and awake.

The cops can't do anything since no one's actually succeeded in entering my apartment. I did call them and they said they'd step up patrols of the area but obviously that's ineffective.

Is there a point where I can legally GTFO without legal repercussions or having to find a subletter? I've become incredibly jumpy and I don't know if I can deal with six more months of this. I keep a gun on me and one in my bedside table, deadbolt and chain lock my doors, lock my bedroom door, and have called the cops. What the hell else can I do? Any good security systems that don't require a landline phone and don't suck?

Unlikely. You could make an argument that the warrant of habitability is breached but that's a question for a lawyer and really really hard to prove. Especially since what you wrote seems more like you being paranoid than anything actually happening. Get renter's insurance and stop worrying about it.

EtaBetaPi
Aug 11, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

Keep in mind that electric rates go up with increased usage.

Which is to say that the first kilowatt hour you use is usually much, much cheaper than the last kilowatt hour you use. So, if you double your usage (entirely possible during a heat wave if you're running the AC a lot), you can easily triple or quadruple your bill. Some power companies also adjust rates based on time of usage (i.e. electricity used during the hottest part of the day costs more than electricity used in the middle of the night).

Looking at my bill (also NSTAR) I don't see any increase in rates for use and I've been using a lot over the last few months because of the heat (I like cold)