Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Hey, so after a quick search this seems to be kind of a general-ish Apartment thread.

My question: first flooding experience today, water squishing up from under the carpet likely due to the heavy rains. It's 2AM, but the maintenance guy came out and is trying to hunt down the problem. I, in true goon fashion had googled "apartment flooding what do" earlier and I asked the guy if they'd replace the carpet or not.

He said since it's a synthetic carpet, there's no mildew/mold issues to be had, and that a carpet company "Extracting" + dehumidifier/blowing/dry would be enough. True/false? I just feel uneasy knowing that lovely tepid water has seeped under a good amount of the carpet (the leak is actually straddling my bathroom and room, so at least half the water is on tile) and would prefer it be replaced.

Worth pushing the apartment manager for, or is that cleaning process described above really enough? I'm a baby goon and this is my first flood experience, so sorry in advance for being dumb. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Moving-wise, any comments/suggestions/reviews on guys like PODS, U-Pack, etc? Moving cross-country and have some amount for relocation expenses, but still looking to pick the best option to move an apartment's worth of stuff.

Need to move my car too, though that might be more an AI question.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

This might be the place to ask about self-storage. I'm tired of some stuff cluttering up my apartment that I keep justifying "I'll keep it around until I move to a bigger place and have room for it". Any quick guidelines and such for choosing a self storage place, what price to pay, etc? I'm thinking I need 5'x5' or 5'x8' at most.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Toshimo posted:

April 23rd: Drunk driver hits my parked car out front and dies. Car is totaled.
May 8th: Buy brand new car.
May 24th: Police wake me up. A new drunk driver has hit and run my new car.
May 27th: Flood #2.

My insurance company was very confused about me calling in a new claim when I hadn't even made it into the body shop for last week's claim.

:stare:

Guess your vehicles are Final Destination or someshit for drunks...

Question for thread: I finally have an apartment with hardwood* floors! (* it’s definitely some kind of laminate and not remotely wood-like.) Got a Roomba for vacuuming duties but now that I have a lot of hard surface to mop up, I feel like there must be better than my bucket and regular tangle mop (and I don’t really want to keep pouring the dirty bucket water into my toilet or bathtub).

I feel like something like a Swiffer WaterJet is a decent choice? I resign myself to having to purchase consumable refills that probably aren’t the best for the environment.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Quick gut check: shopping for a new bedframe and I'm limited myself to platform beds with built-in storage. Mentioned this to some friends and they suggested just getting a regular bedframe with appropriate height clearance and then under-bed totes for simplicity, because that also makes moving easier. There are storage beds with drawers, and then also those that have hydraulics / pneumatics to lift up the entire mattress to get to the innards. I was hoping to graduate from IKEA but the MALM is pretty cheap with or without the storage drawers.

It seems like I should just look for a platform bed I like that has accessible space underneath and then check the amount of ground clearance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

extravadanza posted:

I threw away my box frame and traditional bedframe and got a foam mattress with a taller bedframe like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-SmartBase-Foundation-Replacement-Noise-Free/dp/B006MISZOC

There's tons of room under it - my dog sleeps under my bed now. I keep extra clothes in long bags and totes under it. It's not beautiful, but you can't even see the bins because my comforter drapes over the sides of my bed anyway.

e: I don't need to have fancy bedroom furniture anymore, I already snared a wife.

I've got a Purple mattress and no box-frame, yep! What do you do for a headboard? I'm renting, so don't really want to toss a headboard into studs.

It does appear I must choose between the floaty looks of something like this vs. having ~30 sq. ft back of space in a 600 sq. ft apartment to store spare linens and other stuff.