Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I managed to miss this thread during my apartment hunt, but it should be helpful in my supply purchases before I move in at the start of August. I'm a little apprehensive about the place as it's a rather cramped little studio in a building of more of the same, but the room itself looks pleasant and I noticed no signs of ill-repair in-unit. The communal basement area, however, is unfinished and dingy, with only two cheapo washer/dryer sets from the early 00s. The landlord seems a nice, older guy and on good terms with his tenants, or at least the three who passed during my visits.

I've been perusing Ikea and Amazon for essentials. I'm inheriting a couch and a bed from my parents, so that's a big expense out of the way, but the majority of the other items are up to me. Luckily, I won't have all that much space to fill... One thing I've found lacking on various apartment blogs is appliances--thinking especially of vacuums. I'll have hardwood floors and no pets, but will probably get a rug for the living room area; are sub-$40 vacuums sufficient for this or will they crap out within a couple months while picking up nothing? Also pondering whether I really need a microwave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

codo27 posted:

Is there any such thing as a good futon?
Or, for that matter, a good Murphy bed? The Venture Bros. resparked my interest but the only options I can find are ridiculously expensive beyond what seems necessary for a fold-up bed. I'm not seriously imagining acquiring one, more for future reference.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
So my prospective landlord had asked if I'd be willing to give the current tenant a few days to move out, with me moving in today and the month's rent pro-rated. Except apparently the person didn't make good use of those days and has a truck coming to finish off this evening... Obviously I'm not signing any "state of the premises" thing or handing over rent until she's out of there, and will probably just say we shift it back a day and knock another day from the rent. Should any of this this raise red flags to me--beyond the building custodian not being on top of things?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Today has been an interesting day, full of firsts. It was supposed to be simply the first time I used my oven in my new place, but a few more firsts piled on like, "first time calling 911" and "first time using a fire extinguisher". As someone who has never used a kitchen with a gas oven before, the idea that the drawer under the oven could be anything but a place to store stuff was completely absent from my mind. Luckily I had a couple friends over and we were all cool under pressure: 911 was called, extinguisher was acquired, fire was put out before the truck arrived. They ended up just blasting the smoke with a high-powered fan for awhile (after they realized they had it backward for about a minute).

No fire damage beyond the oven, not really sure what state it's in on the interior. A fine dust of slightly corrosive monoammonium phosphate everywhere that could potentially wreck my desktop computer. Sleeping elsewhere for the evening. Anyone have experience to know if renters insurance covers damage from extinguishers, and whether the oven would still be usable after a thorough cleaning?

Afterward, we marveled at the fact that, despite the overabundance of entirely superfluous safety labels on everything, the broiler had zero indication of what it was to someone who wasn't already familiar with that sort of thing. Had we not acted promptly to control the flame, things could have been a lot worse.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
The last two apartments I've had, neither had any sort of ventilation working/installed in the bathroom, resulting in damage to the paint on the ceiling from all the moisture from showering. Landlords didn't ask me to pay for it or anything, but it just kind of boggles my mind that they prefer to fix the damages rather than address the root cause. The current one, in particular, had been remodeling the place with intent to eventually sell it, but hasn't touched it since we moved in.

Unrelated, but I need a dummies guide to home decorating. I have enough sense to recognize that my bedroom is rather bare, but fixing it is beyond me. I've got a few canvas prints, a nice wooden bedframe with matching night table, but it's lacking some unified whole. It is, at least, better than my roommate's bedroom, which is basically no more than a plain bed and a dresser.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

photomikey posted:

if you're in an apartment with tan carpet, tan walls, and a white ceiling, I find painting something a color, really any color, helps immensely. I've seen apartments I like with tan walls, but it takes a lot of effort and a ton of stuff.

For me, finding throw pillows that go with your couch, then picking an element from the throw pillows and painting one or two walls that color goes a long way. In the bedroom, use the bedspread and add a couple pillows to your bed. Paint is $25/gallon and if you're only painting one or two walls, you will only use a gallon. It doesn't take but an hour or two. Remember to budget time and money for the re-paint back to tan at the end.
The walls are indeed a bare tan and the artwork I've put up doesn't do so much as I'd like. The paint will definitely be something to think about for wherever I move to next, not sure how long I will be at my current location. Got some throw pillows on the couch, which help. Main concern right now is the bedroom, which I honestly think I just need to get a nice dresser or a better bookshelf than those I've currently got. Doesn't help that I'm currently living with roommates, so have my computer desk occupying no minor portion of the room.

Human Tornada posted:

Look at lots of pictures to figure out what style you like and take it slow. Find pictures of rooms you like and save them on your computer and reference them frequently and try to recreate them with similar items. Apartment Therapy has a pretty wide range of styles and doesn't seem to be only catering to millionaires. My apartment sat bare for years because it took me a while to figure out what style I like, what fits my budget, and what works within the limitations of renting.

Edit: Here's a guide for recreating a particular style, http://www.primermagazine.com/2016/spend/the-intentional-apartment-get-this-look-nailing-luxe-home-looks-for-less

You don't have to use that photograph but it's a good example of what to do.
Thanks! Gives me some to think about.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Have already reached out to a local tenant's rights org that will get me a free response from an attorney, but thought I'd check here if anyone has had similar experiences. I recently accepted a job offer in another state and will be moving ASAP, but my lease has a "winter no-go" policy that bars lease termination in October, November, and December. My two concerns are 1) whether this is actually legally enforceable in my state (which I'm leaving up to the lawyer); and, 2) whether should I make my landlord aware of my absence from the unit at any point before submitting my two-months notice for lease termination. Any potential risks I should be aware of one way or another? Nothing in my lease says I actually need to be occupying the unit, though I imagine I'm potentially liable for anything that occurs in it while I'm not around?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Amara posted:

Uh so my lease technically ended in June. I had a thought today where I was like, I think I've been living here longer than a year? Checked my lease doc and yup it ended in June.

Should I... talk to my landlord about this? I mean I keep sending rent checks and he hasn't mentioned anything (really I never hear from him at all) about a new lease soooooo...?
Your original lease presumably has a clause in which it states the lease either renews automatically at the previous duration or it transforms into a month-to-month. Best to check!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Does anyone have experience with temporary wallpapers? I've heard conflicting things about how well they come off when removed.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

sim posted:

A word of warning for anyone planning a long distance move: DO NOT use Zippy Shell or it's sister company or whatever 1-800-Pack-Rat (they merged within the last couple years). I had to plan a sort of last minute cross country move and because of my remote destination, had limited options. Looking back on things, I wish I had just paid local movers to do the whole thing. But I went with the only "pod" like service that would deliver to my destination (Pods and Upack wouldn't). The first screw-up was they changed the pick-up date on me after I had already scheduled a flight and shuttle. At least they took $100 off the total for that confusion.

They gave me an estimate of 7-10 business days for the whole move. It's been 21 so far, with no end in site. My stuff sat in a warehouse in the city I moved from for 3 weeks. It then took almost a week to make the drive that only took me 3 days. Now it's in a warehouse 3 hours away and they won't schedule a delivery date. Every time I call it's a different problem. Supposedly their "forklift is down", which is preventing them from even scheduling. They've charged the final payment, but still have my stuff. Now they're claiming if it stays in their warehouse for another month, I'll be charged the monthly rental fee.

Kind of at my wits end with this company, but all I can do is keep calling back and complaining. Their customer service, like most companies unfortunately, is completely powerless. They usually don't know anything and I have to sit on hold for 20 minutes while they call other departments.
Sorry to hear that! At 21 days, they've effectively stolen your stuff... Check the contract you signed for their obligations to you and consult with a lawyer.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

KIEFGIVER posted:

I'd appreciate some tips and things you wish you knew your first time.
I'll interpret that broadly and focusing on renting, though I'm not sure from your post if that's your situation.

- Set aside an emergency fund — ideally at least 3 months worth of typical expenses to guard against the unexpected
- A walkable, bikeable, and transit-accessible neighborhood can save money and headache — though it might present a higher up front cost and can be hard to find, a place that enables you to minimize or even eliminate the need for a car can garner significant savings on fuel, maintenance, insurance, and incidental fees
- Getting roommates can save you a lot of money, but consider figuring out the personal, arbitrary dollar value you'd give living alone to weigh this against — living with roommates can be great for a lot of reasons and some people actually prefer it overall. If that's not you, though, give thought to how much living solo would be worth to you, if only to inform your priorities
- Don't hesitate to leave a bad situation — It's not your fault if you get stuck with bad roommates/neighbors/landlords and end up in an irreconcilable situation. Prioritize your mental health and fall back on your support network and/or emergency fund if you need to.
- Explore the assistance options available to you — there's a number of organizations looking out for renters, beyond the mere monetary. If you have a local tenant's union, they can advise you on challenges you might have with a landlord
- Be prepared for an emergency — FEMA has a pretty good checklist, but, to summarize: validate that your home's safety equipment (alarms, extinguishers, etc.) is functional and non-expired; keep a week's stock of water and non-perishable foods; have a plan for responding to the disasters most relevant to where you live (snow storm, wildfire, hurricane, normal fire, etc.)

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 21, 2023

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

KIEFGIVER posted:

Very excited to try meal-prepping. Sorry to e/n this place up, but I'm finally getting away from a lovely home and unstable family. I already dropped off the first two boxes and don't have too much more to pack. I threw out 20+ years of crap and it felt so good. Finally able to have a savings account, 401k, invest, etc. Good luck to everyone out there, its very exciting times.
If you're fairly fresh to all this, definitely go check out the Newbie Personal Finance thread in BFC, review the OP, and feel free to toss out any questions you have. The Long Term Investment & Retirement thread would also be a good idea, though a lower priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

kreeningsons posted:

How often are you all having your sofas professionally cleaned?
Like with most cleaning, the answer is "as needed". Regularly host sloppy orgies? Yeah, might want to invest in a good cleaner (or some tarps). Otherwise, just wait until you notice the thing is dirty in a way you can't handle yourself (quite likely "never").