Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

psydude posted:

Yes, but you'd pay out the rear end, thus nullifying any savings from skipping the cable package.

Not really sure about that. AFAIK a business account just requires a contract, and depending on the # of years of contract your installation fee is different (I think it's maybe 200 with a 1y contract?). Yeah, still expensive, but an extra 150 for unlimited bandwidth isn't so bad. Think about how much you will be saving by not buying cable and such.

Comcast doesn't always complain about you using past your cap too. I'm currently testing where I just moved. Downloaded 250gb since Saturday and I'm going to keep going. If they complain I'll probably switch to business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Mortalworld posted:

We've already been turned down for two flats. One for not earning enough (though we earn enough to cover rent and (we considered) feed / clothes / etc ourselves) and another for not being a couple (??). I'm paranoid this one is going to fall through too. We already asked if they have a minimum salary requirement / if our being sharers is a problem and they said no.

Is it legal to be turned down for housing for 'not being a couple'? Even in the US where we are totally backwards with many housing laws I don't think that would fly. I mean, the landlord wouldn't tell you that's the reason anyway.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

Take a look at your auto insurance company (if they offer insurance other than auto insurance anyway). You can sometimes get a combo deal with renters' insurance. I have State Farm and was paying 90 a month for auto insurance. Renters insurance was 9.50 a month, but having both gave me a 10% discount on my entire premium so I actually ended up paying a few cents less a month...

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

Large Hardon Collider posted:

Our apartment's inner front door's glass pane has been broken since December. Last time one of us asked the landlord via email to fix it, he replied "thank you." Can we threaten to withhold rent? (MA)

I'm too lazy to look up specifically for your state but most likely you cannot withhold rent.

Instead of email send you landlord a letter via certified mail (this will look better if you need to go to court). In some states you can hire someone to make the repair and deduct it from the rent after X days of non-response from the landlord if it's under a certain cost.

Honestly just look at the statutes yourself, they generally aren't very complicated. Most states have a tenant handbook written by a state agency as well that answers all these questions.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

My experience in Alabama was completely opposite. Every place I looked had lawn maintenance taken care of. My guess is the landlords probably didn't want to bother getting all HOAed and poo poo if a tenant didn't take care of the lawn.