Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Comstar posted:

I'm looking at apartments and a lot of them don't have a place for a full-size dishwasher. Has anyone got experience with a desktop-sized one that is about half the size of a normal one, and sits on the kitchen counter, with plumbing just connected to the sink?

Also, whats the opinion on getting a washer-dryer, instead of two separate machines for washing clothes and then drying them? What about dryers that don't need a ventilation shaft and put all the evaporated water into a tub you empty manually?

Unless you have a TON of people living in your apartment, you probably don't need a dishwasher. I haven't lived in a single place with one, and even living with five other people, it wasn't a big deal. That being said, my grandmother had one of the teeny dishwashers and as I recall it was extremely noisy and took up a lot of space, but that was back in the 90s so the technology has probably improved.

Also make sure you know what your landlord's position on dishwashers is. I've rented placed before where the landlord pays water and doesn't allow tenants to have diswashers, and also one place where the (admittedly crazy) landlord didn't allow dishwashers, fish tanks, or water beds, because he was afraid that something would break and there would be water damage.

My experiences with washer-dryers have been terrible; in every case, I've just given up on the 'dry' cycle and bought a dollar-store drying rack for my clothes instead. I've also used a dryer that I've had to empty the water out of manually and it was no big deal.

Also seconding "any washing machine is better than a laundromat." I remember going to the laundromat with my mom as a kid and it took literally a whole day to get the family's laundry done. I used to sneak out and go get treats from the ladies at the grocery store to alleviate my crushing boredom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU