Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBandOffice
Nov 4, 2009

nilumtil posted:

Does anyone have advice regarding finding subsidized housing, or just places that have low rates for people on SSD?

My lease is about to expire and my other plans fell through, leaving me with a few bad options... I am on disability and need to find a new place I can actually afford, or go live with my mother. None of my current friends are in need of a place around that time. I afforded this place fine half and half with a roommate, so it's quite disheartening to feel like I can't afford a place to live.

The last dude I interviewed for a roommate (to sign a new lease at my current complex) told me he would have background check problems, for trying to rob a woman at knifepoint and leading the cops on a multi county chase which culminated in him attempting to stab a few cops and doing 9 years. After that, I'm really not looking at moving in with a stranger off of craigslist or the community college bulletin board.

So it looks like one of my (ugh) better options is to try to get a single bedroom or studio... but most places would leave me with drat near no money afterwards. I looked somewhat into the Housing and Recovery Act, but the places I called (from the government website) said they had like 18 month waiting periods like Section 8.

I'm about to just call several regular-regular apartment locating firms, tell them the amount I'm trying to pay (at least a hundred below most of the single bedrooms ive seen here, BEFORE bills), then tell them if they know someplace I can get in because I'm on SSD that fits the bill, that may be preferential.

Does anyone have any hands-on experience with this (particularly in Austin, TX), or knowledge they can share that might help me out?
Call HACA again and see if they have any recommendations on low-cost housing in the area. The waitlist for section 8 housing is large, but often they can recommend apartment complexes that are not terribly expensive and might be willing to work with your low income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU