Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Problem! posted:

So I've been apartment hunting this week, and all of the apartment complexes here have so many bullshit fees attached to them it's unreal.

Rent is $1300, in our price range! Sweet!

...Oh but you HAVE to pay our $150/month internet and tv package, and pay for valet trash service (literally $20/month for someone else to bring your trash to the dumpster, cannot decline this service, separate from your regular water/sewer/trash bill), oh you want to park more than one car? $50 for a second parking spot!

Your rent is actually $1520! Surprise!

I haven't been apartment shopping in ~5 years. Is this standard now? Last time I was looking the advertised rent was the rent you paid.

I've been living in apartments for 15 years (midwest USA) and I've never even heard of something that stupid before. Your region may be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I'm planning to move to a townhome that doesn't have a fridge so I'm looking at buying a fridge for the first time in my life. The fridge area is limited by the counter to one side and an exterior wall to the other side so I'm limited to something no more than 40" wide with the doors all the way open. I already have a freezer, so I was thinking about getting a freezerless fridge like this one since it costs a little less to run, but it looks like it costs about the same as a top freezer fridge like this one which while it takes ~150kwh more a year to run, would save us the marginal hassle of walking over to the freezer to get ice and would be easier to find other options for. Suggestions/thoughts?

Anyone able to recommend a refrigerator review site? All the review sites I've looked at are utter garbage. One site listed the cons for the fridge they rated as the best in 2018 as: "sometimes does not keep food cold enough and it spoils."

Ciaphas posted:

Moved to a new apartment recently after dumping 75% of my furnishings, couches and similar included. I'd like something for slobbing out in front of the bigscreen, but a couch or even a recliner isn't really a fit aesthetically or physically for the room in a place where it'd be useful.

I'm thinking bean bag or bean bag chair, then. My question is, are there any makers (or even just materials) that could resist the likely clawing from my two cats?

I had a bean bag chair in a house with 3 rescue cats for several years. No noticeable claw damage (all cats had at least their hind claws still) but accumulated cat pee eventually consigned it to the dumpster.

My friend who has a bean bag bed in a house with lots of cats and dogs hasn't lost a beanbag wrapper to claw damage yet.

Sadly I don't remember what either of us use(d) as a wrapper around the beanbag, but as long as you get something reasonably sturdy you shouldn't have a problem with claws.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 23, 2019

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

I'd like a subtle, fairly neutral air freshener; what's good?

Deep into home remedy territory here, but I've found dropping part of a lemon into my disposal helps it smell a lot better. My wife eats lemons every day so a couple times a week we drop a used lemon slice or half down there and run the disposal until it's all gone.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Chard posted:

what is the best way to just get the gently caress rid of some furniture i can't physically dispose of by myself?

If you can't get it out of your house, list it on craigslist and/or other community sites and specify buyer must pick it up.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm moving next month across the state (about 3 hours one-way), I want to rent a truck but hire one group of people to load and then another to unload at the destination. Is this a thing moving services offer? How can I do this without hiring some random drunks off of Facebook? I feel like the cost of paying a mover to go that far would be more than it's worth to me. I'm moving about a 1-room apartment's worth of stuff. Basically a desk, workbench desk, bed, chair, and 15 or so boxes.

Most of the movers where I live charge a flat fee + an hourly fee. I don't think it'd be a problem hiring them to do half the job. Especially with as few people as have been moving the last year. The times I've moved across the country the moving company subcontracted to local movers in both the origin and destination cities and that worked fine. On the other hand you only need 1 dude for like an hour. A professional company will probably send 2 dudes because most of them don't want you to help. Might be hard to find a professional willing to do it cost effectively. Still you should call around and see what they say. They'll ask if you're moving a fridge, washer/dryer or other heavy appliance too.

If we weren't in the middle of a pandemic I'd tell you to buy one of your friends a pizza in exchange for helping you and call it a day. 15 boxes is almost nothing, but you'll want a second set of hands for the desks and beds.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Happiness Commando posted:

I really wish there was a way to filter housing ads for whether the stove is gas or electric :argh:

I feel your pain. The first thing we looked at when we entered a house was the stove. If it wasn't right, we turned around and left.

It feels like something that a Real Estate agent should be able to help with, but none of ours got it right consistently.

sim posted:

A word of warning for anyone planning a long distance move: DO NOT use Zippy Shell or it's sister company or whatever 1-800-Pack-Rat (they merged within the last couple years). I had to plan a sort of last minute cross country move and because of my remote destination, had limited options. Looking back on things, I wish I had just paid local movers to do the whole thing. But I went with the only "pod" like service that would deliver to my destination (Pods and Upack wouldn't). The first screw-up was they changed the pick-up date on me after I had already scheduled a flight and shuttle. At least they took $100 off the total for that confusion.

They gave me an estimate of 7-10 business days for the whole move. It's been 21 so far, with no end in site. My stuff sat in a warehouse in the city I moved from for 3 weeks. It then took almost a week to make the drive that only took me 3 days. Now it's in a warehouse 3 hours away and they won't schedule a delivery date. Every time I call it's a different problem. Supposedly their "forklift is down", which is preventing them from even scheduling. They've charged the final payment, but still have my stuff. Now they're claiming if it stays in their warehouse for another month, I'll be charged the monthly rental fee.

Kind of at my wits end with this company, but all I can do is keep calling back and complaining. Their customer service, like most companies unfortunately, is completely powerless. They usually don't know anything and I have to sit on hold for 20 minutes while they call other departments.
Ouch. Good luck.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

Is there a duvet cover that will let me have a different duvet in each side, for one person who likes to sleep warm and another who sleeps cool?

Just get two. That’s what we’ve done for a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

kreeningsons posted:

How often are you all having your sofas professionally cleaned? The cleaning/furniture making industry recommends once a year or for those having pets or kids, once every six months.

Out of the very small sample I have polled thus far, the only answer given was “never”.

Never.