Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I got sort of a trip report post to make here. After reading this thread and looking at some other sources, I went out with my father and my friend (Who will be my roommate) to go apartment hunting in Winter Park, Florida.

After looking at ten or so apartments, I've come to the conclusion that most apartments in the same area will be more-or-less the same price. The only differences between the "good" apartments I found were what was/wasn't included in the rents pay and what amenities you had.

I ended up going with an apartment which has an interesting and roomy floor plan (2 Bedroom / 2 Bath), which came with full washer and dryer. What was great about this place was that it was built in 1989 - early 90's and was renovated completely in the 00's. This means that compared to a lot of the older apartments, the carpets seemed brand new and there wasn't any visible damage visible on first glance.

Found out that while it didn't have a gate, it had a wall around the entire community. There was also video cameras pointing down streets, parking lots, and the entrance. There was even a sign with stating those who report suspicious activity can be awarded $1000 for thwarting any possible crime.

There was trash pick-up, which was included with the rent along with water and other things, which made this great combination with an included washer/dryer combo. There is both a lounge area with free wifi that extends out to the pool. There's also a game room. Also, the area around the apartment was nice. I was about a mile from campus. There is a Publix in walking distance and several restaurants and other stores within a mile or two.

I'm really happy with me and my friends and my fathers decision on this apartment. All the apartments that looked in any way decent were going to be in the $1000-1200 range after rent and other variable costs.

Thanks for the help on the questions that I asked at every apartment I went to that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

All that for less than $1200?

:suicide: I live in a dumb place.

It's basically because of Full Sail University and College of Central Florida that makes demand high and prices reasonable.

Also: Unlimited. Free. loving. Coffee... in the lounge area, but still!

edit: I do have a question now. Since I'm moving, I'm getting rid of a ton of stuff I owned as a kid, and up to now, has been in boxes hidden under my bed or in my closet or such. I'm wondering if anyone has tips on getting rid of their junk. This for me includes trading cards, old toys, video games, comics, magazines, and a metric ton of LEGOs.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 24, 2011

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

couldcareless posted:

Craigslist is great for this. If you get to the point where you just can't make money off of it, throw it in the free section. People will flock.

Thanks, I'm guessing/hoping there's a thread about Craigslist somewhere on SA? I've never used it nor Paypal before, so a lot of this is new to me. I'd like to take as many precautions as possible.

Right now I'm just advertising my stuff on facebook to my friends for cheaper before I do anything with them.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I found a load of boxes that barely could fit into my car at the recycling center. They were both sheltered from rain and stacked neatly. People would come by with boxes and we'd just take it from their hands right there.

Talk about fast-acting reuse.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Network42 posted:

Is it standard practice to only use the highest earner's debt-to-income ratio when approving someone for an apartment with roommates?
A friend and I are trying to move out, and together we could afford a nice place, but separately we'd be looking at shitholes. I'd always figured if 2+ people were signing the lease you would count all the incomes involved. Apparently our combined income doesn't matter though, so what the gently caress is the point of a roommate?

They probably expect you to be able to pay if your roommate drops out and you have to find a new one. Other than that, having a grandeur is a pain, I had to use my father.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
It's been two days since me and my family sent all the paper work plus the whatever payments we had and we have yet to hear from them. We're gonna call them today. We already confirmed that they cashed the check we sent them.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm moving in 4 days! I'd love to give a report on how it went and what I should of done. For now I need packing materials, like peanuts or something to make sure my electronics don't get thrashed around on the ride there. Do you guys know places to get them? I got plenty of boxes, and I'm going to use towels on some of the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I've been living on my own (with a high-school friend roommate) since July 15th, doing our thing while attending college. Currently we pay $865 a month (split between us) for a 2 Bedroom 2 bath with an above average gym / pools, and we have our water as part of our monthly rent.

Make sure whenever you are getting any kind of deals or specials to write them down multiple times. I had to talk with the office that is basically my landlord about a university specific deal that I almost completely forgot about if I didn't get it written down on the front of our lease.

When searching for my apartment, it was all about sitting down with the staff / landlord and talking or touring. It gave me a really good sense on how they treated their residence and how life can be on a day-to-day basis. Touring to make sure it looks just as good as the pictures on their site is essential.

Also, living in an apartment has given me the chance to do some exercising when I sorely need it. Best idea for goons: buy a bike to check the mail with. For me I have to go to the front of the complex to check my mail, which lets me walk or ride my bike to pick it up. Doing this on a daily basis and spending some time at the gym is helping.