Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I recently moved out of an apartment in Washington state and left the place pretty much as I found it minus some normal wear and tear. A few stains on the carpet, maybe a couple of thumbtack holes in the wall etc. So today to my surprise I was sent a letter at my new address and instead of opening it and finding my deposit refund I received a bill for over 1,000 dollars. The landlord is claiming that I ruined the carpet (which already had cigarette burns when I moved in), that they needed to repaint the entire unit (Doesn't specify why), and other tiny charges that are completely absurd. I know that I SHOULD have taken pictures when I moved in and moved out but I messed up and didn't do so.

At this point what do I do? Is there any way to contest this or am I pretty much screwed? I have people that helped me move out including other tenants that live in the same building that would write letters regarding the state of the apartment when I moved in but other than that I don't really know what to do. Thanks.

edit: Some of the charges on the receipt are totally nonsensical as well, for example:

Carpet Cleaning 6 Hours at 25$ per hour= 150.00

followed by

Carpet needs replacing 3 years left : 342.00

Why would you clean a carpet for 6 hours if you were going to replace it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU