Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.

Chemmy posted:

I don't get it, do you think more people in one apartment means they use more heat?

I think he's upset because even if they use the same heat as him, the thing is that the bill is split between at least a few people in that unit and he had to pay the same amount alone, footing some of their bill.

e: Including what was said just before me about hot water usage, which increases a lot when you have eight people in a unit as opposed to one or two.

Diseased Dick Guy fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.

One Sick Puppy posted:

This is a pretty awesome thread and very helpful, so I hope I'm not stepping out of line in bringing this thread back to attention

I dunno if this is the perfect place for it but I'm gonna take a bit of time to ask about decoration of a new apartment. This will be my first time not living in my childhood room or a cramped dorm and I'd rather not just hang up a bunch of posters and call it a day.

Basically goons, How can I spruce up a new apartment in terms of wall hangings, cool looking doodads and neat things? My roommates and I are starting to corroborate on this and we kinda wanna get creative.

You could also look into making some rasterbations. You can make any picture you want and you usually don't even need a high resolution image to have it not come out like poo poo. You can cut the border off each page and glue them to a posterboard and put that up on your wall. I don't know if that's too DIY for you, but I prefer this method because you can make a print of pretty much anything you want...anime fan art and classy art photos alike.

If you do decide to do this though, I don't suggest using your own printer; just pay for a printing place to do it for you. I mean, you could print it at home but you'd probably pay just as much in ink as you would on the printing job. Besides saving the ink, you also can pick higher quality paper.

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Stupid question, but have you tried craigslist? Also, and I'm not saying you should do this, but you could possibly get away with saying you only have two pets and assuming no one will ever notice the extra cat or dog or w/e. If they're all dogs it could be a problem.

If you do this, make sure you declare the dogs but not the cat. If you have small dogs, and someone sees the cat in the window or something, they might just think it's the dog. On the other hand, I think it would be impossible to get away with only declaring one of two dogs since they need to be taken out and such.

Are all of these apartments you're looking at in managed communities/buildings, or are any just a one building, one landlord deal? You might be able to work something out with the landlord in a smaller place. This is pretty common where I live. You'll be hard pressed finding a community/building to work with you because then they'd have to bend the rules for everyone.

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.

Pope Mobile posted:

If we did do it, we'd definitely declare the dogs. The cat is a recluse that likes to chill in cold, dark places. She only comes out when someone's home and on the couch/bed/a location to give her attention.

Most of the places are managed. In the several months I've been looking, only a very small number of listings are by individuals. On that front, the best we can do is drive around and look for signs around town.

In that case, you might be able to get away with the cat. It's not the best decision because in some places you can get in a lot of trouble, but I understand people do what they have to.

You might be able to find individual places in smaller newspaper classifieds. If it's not on Craigslist, short of driving around it's the best place to look. If you know any people in the area, asking around might help too. My parents both found their current houses that way. One had a friend was looking to rent an apartment in his house and the other knew someone who rented from the same landlord, who happened to own a bunch of houses on that street.

Comstar posted:

What's the secret to putting up painting/posters etc? It seems like a lot of places won't allow you to put holes in the wall for picture hanging's.

Masking tape can be a safe option for posters. Just make it into a loop so it's sticky on two sides and hang that bad boy up.

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.
Feel like I need to brag for a second here. Just got my internet installed yesterday, used a local company people around here refuse to because "Cox is better" or something similar. Connection was getting really really bad this afternoon, so I went to Speedtest to see what was up and saw that my IP was wrong and it said my ISP was Cox. Turns out my laptop had someone in the building's lovely open network as a priority over my own.

Cox Speedtest was .31 Mbps down. My own was 7.8 Mbps and I probably pay the same price. :smug:
(I know everyone is probably using that guy's network, but let me have my moment!)

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.

Eyeball posted:

For how many people in this city have dogs, you would think there would be more pet-friendly apartment buildings. It's ridiculous.

It seems to be the tendency of any city with mostly managed communities and buildings. Probably because a few tenants will complain that they don't like dogs or too much barking, etc. It's really hard to get an entire building full of people to agree to a high volume of disruptive animals. On top of that, you have new buildings that are still mostly pristine and don't want a distructive animal forcing them to fix up too much after you move out. I appreciate the places that will compromise by just restricting certain aggressive breeds.

In the area where I live, almost all of the buildings are three units at most and like I said, usually a one landlord deal. These buildings are all pretty old and already in shoddy condition from wear and tear and have a shared, small backyard. Almost all of these places will allow pets, usually in no restricted number unless you're really starting to get up there with ten cats or something. My mom was able to find a sizeable house with cheap rent even though she has large dogs and four cats (Way too many, I know.) It all just kind of depends on the building, number of tenants, and the way it's managed. Unfortunately, these situations are harder to find in the larger cities of newer areas of the country.

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.

AA is for Quitters posted:

This is another good point. Figure out if you *really* need cable and internet, or if you can get by with just internet. (most things are available to watch online these days) Figure out if you can steal internet, or if you live nearby friends, split the internet bill and get a powerful router. (I used to do this with the neighbors. They gave me $30/month for the cable bill, I gave them the password to the router).

Seriously, just internet is like $30/month, vs $100+ for cable+internet.

This is exactly what I did. Cable+internet was going to cost $80 and I never watch TV except for the occasional Food Network program. A much better investment is an $8 a month Netflix subscription. If you want to watch it on the TV, a used Xbox 360 or Wii is a one time fee. Plus, you now have a game console, DVD, and Netflix player all in one in these cases. I use my 360, and I'll either stream what I want to watch on Netflix or put it on a flash drive. I even used to have it set up to stream video directly from my computer using the local network.

If you have an extra laptop you no longer use, you can hook it up to the TV and use that for videos and Netflix as well.

Overall, really think about how much you watch TV and if it's worth the $50 - $70 a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.

Ceridwen posted:

Which brings up another useful moving tip: Always plan for them to not have the truck you reserved ready at the time you reserved it for. Regardless of the truck vendor you use. It's like some kind of law. I have yet to ever receive the truck I reserved at the time I reserved it for.

Reserving cars and trucks always reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWTMa76BzH0

"See, you know how to take the reservation, you just don't know how to hold the reservation and that's really the most important part of the reservation -- the holding. Anybody can just take them."