Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I need to buy a new bed/mattress (my first new one) but I don't know what to look out for. Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Hellacopter posted:

Foam isn't for everybody though (tends to hold body heat, and some people don't like the sinking in feeling)

Thanks guys, but this is more of what I was looking for. I don't really know the difference between all the bed types and such.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

It's been brought up to my attention that I'm still getting mail sent to two former addresses (my parent's home and a former house that acquaintances still live in) cause I just never bothered to file a change of address with USPS. I just filed one online for one of the addresses, do I now need to do it again for the second address or does it just take one to eventually get all mail rerouted to me?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So I'm renting out my second bedroom in my (rented) apartment to some guy I found on CL. It's totally normal and expected that I would ask for a deposit from him right, even though I don't own the apartment? How much do I ask for? A months rent? Some other arbitrary number?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I have access to some high quality printers at school and can print things up to 36" in one length (paper is on a roll). The printing itself is relatively cheap so I'd like to take advantage of it and print some art prints to frame and hang.

Are there any websites where I could find high quality/high dpi free images that are "print ready" that I could just use? Obviously I'm not asking for anything illegal, just "open source" artwork or whatever the proper term is.

I'm looking specifically for more abstract type art.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

How are people finding apartments nowadays? Is there a go-to website because the last time I did this I think I used Craigslist, nearly a decade ago.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Nanomachine Son posted:

I’ve had decent luck with Zillow and Zumper. Their communication tools are useless for getting anyone to respond to you though. I just end up scouting places I like and calling them directly.

Ham Equity posted:

Last I looked, it varied depending on the city. I think for Seattle it's still craigslist.

Seems like CL is still the goto for here too except there are a lot of obvious fake places. Like this one I’m looking at right now is copy pasted from other listings with the name changed and they all say I can’t tour the place beforehand.

There’s another place I found that doesn’t immediately trip my bullshit detector but the person that responded to my email gave me his name and introduced him as the property manager, but his name doesn’t come up on general google search or on LinkedIn so I dunno about this.

I should have started searching earlier.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 30, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

And here it is, the place I liked is also a scam.

quote:

We are receiving a lot of interest in this unit. If you would like to secure a showing the landlord asks for a security deposit and first months rent up front. This amount will be fully refunded if you are not satisfied with the unit after the showing.

Yeah sure buddy.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Does anyone have experience doing a monthly rental on Airbnb? It seems like this is the easiest route with the least amount of stress involved but the places I’m looking at says they only approve people for at minimum 3 months stay with discounts for longer durations (6+ months). Airbnb says I’d be paying X amount every month instead of all up front. I’m wondering if I could just nope out of it after a couple of months after finding a real apartment to rent and just not pay for the months I didn’t stay.

I mean I’ll get a bad review on Airbnb but if I don’t care? I’m not gonna get dinged on my credit score or whatever for breaking an Airbnb rental agreement am I?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 30, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Recommendations for services that will pick up furniture from your home for donations?

I'm moving and don't need a bunch of my furniture. Seems like a big waste to just 1-800-junk it or whatever.

I've also tried lowering the price of the furniture to what seems comically low, but still haven't had any takers.

The last time I moved and needed to get rid of big furniture stuff I didn’t need/want and couldn’t sell, I just posted on Craigslist/Facebook that it was free as long as they come with their own transportation and labor (ie, that I wasn’t going to lift a finger to help period cause it was summer and gently caress if I’m sweating my rear end off to give away free poo poo). People are vultures and you’ll get rid of it all in no time.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

If I get mail addressed to a person who no longer lives here I know I can write “not at this address” on the envelope and leave it in the mailbox for the carrier to pick up, and theoretically the sender will be made aware and stop mailing stuff here for them.

What do I do about mail that’s address to “soandso or current resident?” I’m getting a lot of those for things like cable, internet, etc. The person it’s addressed to isn’t here but I’m technically the current resident soooo… but I don’t want to get the mail anymore.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Recycling here is… difficult because it looks like at least 1 of the other tenants in the building just tosses poo poo into the recycling bin. But point understood. It kinda feels wrong to open/toss mail that’s not for me even though it does say “or current resident”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Gonna legally change my name to Current Resident so that I can legally open all the mail.