Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I guess I have an anecdote that's relevant, since I graduated about two weeks ago. :v: I got my first credit card in the mail yesterday. It was approved with a $2000 credit limit, which seems high to me given my short credit history, but it's from the bank I have a checking account with and I have a credit history from when I took a year off school and did payments on my loans then. I got it to build credit, earn rewards, and have protection from getting my debit card skimmed. Most people my age I know use a debit card for everything. With the CARD Act, I don't even think students can get a credit card under the age of 21 without a cosigner or independent income anyway.

Volkerball posted:

Yeah I don't care about frequent flier miles or saving 4/5 of a penny per gallon of gas or w/e. I always assumed interest was included no matter what though because why wouldn't it be.
If you pay in full when you get the statement but before the due date, there's no interest charged unless the card is completely terrible. So basically using it like a debit card.

Anyway, thread relevant question: does anyone have any renter's insurance recommendations for the greater Boston area? I have two recommendations for GEICO but I'm wondering if they're all interchangeable or if there's someone to avoid when it comes to a claim. Hopefully I never have to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I accidentally melted some plastic on the stove top recently and after airing out with the windows, some distilled vinegar in cups strategically placed around my apartment did a lot to get rid of the smell.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

If you have Facebook, pretty much every local university has a housing Facebook group and lots of students going home for the summer looking for subletters. Stuff also goes up on the Craigslist by owner section.