Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
In addition to black mold and a failing gas system my apartment now seems to have an ant problem. gently caress this place.

About 48 hours ago I noticed a few ants on the carpet near the brick wall that forms one side of my apartment. I put out a few terro liquid ant bait traps and by the next morning one of the four traps I put out had a bunch of dead ants in it. I assumed that even more had crawled out of the trap to bring the poison back to their colony. They only ever seemed interested in one of the traps though. In the 48 hours since then I've seen 1-2 ants ever few hours on the carpet about 3-4 feet away from where the successful trap was placed wandering aimlessly. Last night I placed another trap in the area I've seen them wandering around in but they didn't seem to have any interest in it.

How long does it normally take for ants to die off completely once they've discovered a borox trap? Should I be concerned that they've found another source of food and will be back once they've exhausted it? I'd rather not get my landlord involved because they tend to be incompetent fuckwits in regards to this sort of thing and I'd rather not have them messing with dangerous chemicals in my living space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

So last night I put a cutting board with a wide array of ant delicacies on it right where I've been seeing them. I put down honey, peanut butter, sugar water, bait, and even some strawberry's in an attempt to get them to come out of their hole and start feeding on it so I could tell where they're coming from. Over a period of about an hour 10 or so ants wandered by and helped themselves to the food but there was never any major activity that helped me find where the nest is. Part of me hopes that's a sign that the majority of the nest is now dead but I'm not convinced because I'm still seeing 2-3 stragglers on the carpet every time I come into the room. There's been a crap load of rainfall and over 2 feet of snow melt in the last 48 hours so there's a decent chance their nest has been flooded out and who knows what that's going to do.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Going to buy a couch this week. I'm at the point where I can afford something better than ikea but I have no clue what makes a couch "good." From what I can tell a good couch has hardwood construction but even the cheap couches claim to be at least partially hardwood. Any advice on what to look for or avoid? For what it's worth I'm looking to spend about $1,000 usd.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Does anyone have a very rough ballpark estimate on how much it would cost for full service movers to move 4 large objects (A couch, dresser, bed+mattress, and small dining room table) about 400 miles? Every place I've tried to get a quote from just asks for my info and then sends me an email saying "well get back to you." which they never do. The total value of the stuff listed was ~$2000 when new so I'm wondering if it's even worth trying to move it.

If I do decide to just get rid of it locally whats the go to website for selling or offering free furniture these days?